TF2 02/24 Scout Update

Keero

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

New features

Added The Force-A-Nature, The Sandman, and Bonk!

Added 35 new Scout achievements

Added crit boosted on/off sound effects

Added new sounds for upgraded teleporters

Added new sound for a fully charged medic dying

Add bonus points section to scores

Scouts earn a bonus point for killing Medics who are actively healing a target

Added several new speech concepts, mostly hooked up to new Scout lines

Added new "Remember last weapon between lives" option to the Multiplayer Advanced dialog

Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon

Added several new Arena mode announcer speech events.

Added "First Blood" to Arena mode

Removed 2x item respawn times in arena

Changed backstab handling to fix facestabs

Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies

New maps

Added community maps: cp_egypt, arena_watchtower, and cp_junction

Updated cp_fastlane with Arttu's new version

Mapmaker requests

Added new input for forward speed modifier to FuncTrainTrain

Added TeleportToPathTrack input to func_tracktrain

Bugfixes

Fixed a bug where players would sometimes gib from non-gib damage kills

Fixed stat screen showing an entry for a class called "map."

Fixed item model panels not using team skins

- Fixed obscure bug where spectators were able to carry the flag

Cool, now back to Powerpoint for another 2 weeks.

Cool, now back to Powerpoint for another 2 weeks.

How, HOW did you beat me to posting?!?!? I mean it only happened like 5 minutes ago T_T :p.

I especially like the surprise spy updates. All of those things needed to be done ^^ .

Holding my breath to hope it's true and also that it fixes the opposite problem.

Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies

I hope this means you can tell who you are disguised as because that's what they needed. Not to know which player is who because that could be a grieving magnet.

Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon

I wanted it to display weapons based on which numbered key weapon you where holding but this should work ok I guess.

Last edited:
After Some Testing...

I played up to 11 achievements last night and got the Force of Nature. In my opinion I like the gun better than the regular scattergun. The 2 bullets/fast reload often setup seems to match the scouts movements better (duck behind cover/pop out) and the knockback function allows him to basically triple jump (well it's more like 2 and a half jumps). I do wonder if valve calculated if the added jump height would create any new places you shouldn't reach in maps. The one thing I notice about this gun is it would seem like much more could be gotten out of it's performance by a pro than a regular player. One of the things Valve wanted was to close the gap on how effective the scout is between skilled and unskilled players. I think this gun widens that gap not closes it. Though it does seem easier to use overall (or at least it seemed to let me make more hits). It also has a better sound effect and animation too IMO.

I haven't gotten the other weapons yet but from being on the receiving end...

The Sandman does seem overpowered. For starters range doesn't seem to matter much at all. If it's a one on one match and you are one of the low health classes pretty much any stun at all will warrant an instant death (demo or less). I haven't seen many ubers stopped with it but then I haven't seen many medics :p . So no one seems to be hanging around using the scout in a defensive uber stopping capacity yet. The one time I did get ubered it was very frustrating. I know it's somewhat amusing to see someone get hit with it but as of right now I do think it will need a nerf. I'll hold out my final verdict though for when I get my hands on it for testing.

Can't comment much on Bonk yet as I haven't seen it enough. It doesn't make you actually faster (as I suspected before time) but gives a blurry trail behind you. The slow down effect doesn't seem harsh at all as you don't look slower than a heavy. You can't pick up the intel with it. It does make you invulnerable to all bullets but not melee weapons as I bat'ed one to death.

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it. And after Gerbil confirms it. And when Xbox 360s stop throwing Red Rings of Death. And after Duke Nukem Forever is sitting on retail store shelves.

Well, strike those last two.

After testing the Force of Nature a little more It feels more defensive (or evasive) and the regular scatter gun feels more offensive (or direct) in it's attack patterns. Other things I've noticed are...

1. It is possible to jump, fire the gun for a dodge and then jump again. Knockback doesn't cancel the second jump.
2. The knockback on you is only based on your left/right orientation aim not up/down. You can fire it at the ceiling and you will still go upwards.
3. You can only have one knockback on you per jump. If you fire a second shot while in the air you don't go backwards. I don't know if this holds for enemies you shoot though.
4. The actual knockback doesn't allow you to jump that much higher but it does allow you to jump quite a bit further. It's now possible to jump all the way across the water in 2Fort (even with my sub par scout skills).
5. It took me about 5-6 hours to get the first weapon in regular style play. (I didn't achievement farm it).

I still like the Force of Nature better than the regular Scattergun although both look to be useful in certain situations.

I'll believe it when I see it. And after Gerbil confirms it. And when Xbox 360s stop throwing Red Rings of Death. And after Duke Nukem Forever is sitting on retail store shelves.

Well, strike those last two.

I'm actually rather hesitant to try Spy after hearing comments made by other spies about the stab "fix" and having to go fight a few zillion scouts T_T. I won't be able to hold out too much longer though Spy is the reason I like TF2 so much.

I am a little bit disappointed about this update though. It's not the weapons it's just the fact that previous updates had "Meet the etc." Movies and new official maps released with them and this one does not :/

Last edited:
I played spy a bit last night and I was having major problems. I would stab stationary targets several times and miss completely. It wasn't like it was counting as a non back stab but like I didn't even hit the person. Maybe I was just lagging but I'm hoping they didn't break something. I also noticed they changed the animation a little bit.

I've now tested the Sandman and while it isn't nearly as overpowered as I thought due to the long reload time I do still think it's somewhat overpowered especially in the hands of a pro (not a bad scout like me). As I see it a Heavy should not have reason to fear an amateur scout at mid-close range but it's against the slow to fire, slow to move heavy that the sandman can excel against IF he knows what he is doing. I killed many, many scouts as a heavy on update day but I also got boinked and killed by a couple when I was at full health and the scout was at mid-close range. For lower hp classes It's like any stun at all is a death sentence even if it's at point blank. I still haven't seen it used a lot on ubers but I have seen it been used effectively against them. I'd like to play some dustbowl and see how the scout updates work on it once more people start figuring them out.

I played spy a bit last night and I was having major problems. I would stab stationary targets several times and miss completely. It wasn't like it was counting as a non back stab but like I didn't even hit the person. Maybe I was just lagging but I'm hoping they didn't break something. I also noticed they changed the animation a little bit.

EEek I hope not XD. Listen for the sound of the stab impacting as I've had problems in the past (before update) of running directly behind people it making the contact noise and not counting as a backstab. I am liking the improved disguises but that's something I knew they should have done long ago. I've only tried it out a few minutes though not enough to test anything else.

Last edited:
I played with the new weapons for the first time last night, I really like the sandman although it is pretty annoying when you are on the receiving end. I am not to fond of the new gun yet I don't know if i like it or not, I will have to see when I play more. I have yet to get the energy drink but I am looking forward to it b/c originally to me it looked like the most useful and i wanna kill an engineer camping a sentry while under the affects of it. :)

You can't attack while under the effects of Bonk! It's kinda annoying but I have found it to be useful for running behind a defense.

You can't attack while under the effects of Bonk! It's kinda annoying but I have found it to be useful for running behind a defense.

Aww man that's disappointing but understandable. I still think it will be fun to use once I unlock it but I might end up sticking with the pistol for long range situations.

A new tactic for the scout's Bonk was used tonight and I found it incredibly useful. The scout under the effects of Bonk is an excellent Sentry distracter. You simply run out and let it shoot at you while a demo comes along behind you and lays down stickies. It really worked pretty well if the team was organized.

It may also be possible to kill the engineer by using bonk to draw his own sg's fire on him.

Bonk doesn't seem to be overpowered due to the no weapons restriction although it still remains to be seen how annoying it can be. Sandman is another case though I checked and CEVO has banned it from scrims until Valve makes significant changes to it.

Last edited:
since the update I have yet to even select scout. maybe in a few weeks but just too many playing it just like the heavy, medic, and pyro.

since the update I have yet to even select scout. maybe in a few weeks but just too many playing it just like the heavy, medic, and pyro.

I actually kind of like the weird weeks of everyone playing a bunch of the same class because it's different. I did wait a few days before playing scout though and even after I played scout I still changed if something else was needed. It was nice the first couple days because I played heavy and was getting lots of kills :). "You like eating my Sandvich little man? How about eating some bullets! BWHAHAHAHA! :p

Of course it's gotten a little more frustrating after everyone got "The Sandman".

Last edited:
Back