Tek's writing challenge: Lazarus

Lazarus

And away it goes...

If I can't think of anything better to write about I'll probably just narrate a game of Wesnoth.

Speaking of which...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lich bared his teeth in a snarl. The wind whipped his black cape around.
"You can't hope to stand against me, Dwarf," he hissed, stabbing his staff viciously into the ground.

"Don't be so sure, Levyan..." Gladoc growled. "Get them bloody undead, dwarves!"

The two small parties clashed together, both sides screaming in fury.
Behind them the sun slipped down past the treetops. A cold pale moon looked down upon the small hills and streams in which the combatants fought.

"Get 'em!" Owollyn yelled, firing his bow at a Skeleton. The hideous undead creature laughed mockingly and crashed his axe blade down on the poacher's shoulder.
"Agh!" he cried out, slipping to his knees in the dirt.

Slings whistled through the air, casting their lead balls at the enemy undead. The Revenant reacted in rage to the projectiles denting his armor, his axe slashing at a nearby Dwarf.
"RAARGH!"
Another stone whipped past his helmeted head and thunked into a nearby oak tree.

Ducking nimbly under the axe, a poacher smashed his mace into the Revenant's skull. He raised it for another blow, then dropped his weapon and fell to the ground, an arrow embedded in his helmet.
The undead archer fitted another bone arrow into his bow and looked around for another target, chuckling hoarsely.

"Forward!" Gladoc bellowed, charging into the fray with hammer raised.

(Excuse me while I go finish the game. :))

Last edited:
Syntax and vocabulary

You used very nice words and visuals. However, in the second sentence, you should have a comma after Dwarf. "... against me, Dwarf," he hissed. Also (this is something I do too), I'd try to avoid using the transition 'as.' The two small parties clashed together as the sun... The Revenant lunged forward in rage as projectiles... As he raised it for another blow... It's my opinion that 'as' often slows down the action (but it might just be me!)

Plot/story

I thought the story was well done and well written. You are very good at describing action scenes. With that said, I have no idea what any of these guys look like or where they are fighting at. Subtle hints of where they are (such as mentioning a swampy ground or dead trees -- or the chocolate river and willy wonka's chocolate factory) would be a major plus!

Ah. Thank you for the critique, TJ. :) *edits quickly*

Yeah, I've noticed I use "as" way too much in my stories - and also leave out background most of the time. *edits again*

Jevyan smote a Footpad across the forehead with his staff, a hoarse chuckle hissing from his lips.
"Take that, you dog!"

Zojan stumbled to his feet, swinging a small wooden club valiantly at the Lich.
"You - won't - take - this - place," he grunted.
Blue fire shot from the Lich's fingertips, tearing the club from his grip.

Owollyn broke his bow over the Skeleton's head and then plunged his dagger into the creature. The haft of an axe crashed into his head, knocking him senseless onto the ground.

The Skeleton laughed triumphantly - and was borne back into the ground by a mighty blow of Gladoc's hammer.
"Arrgh!" the Dwarf King roared. "Come on!"

Their slings whirling madly, the outlaws hailed stones and lead balls down on the Revenant. He fell back into the stream and was washed away in a torrent of water.

Jevyan hissed in anger as another of his undead fell. Whirling his staff about, he smashed it into Zojan's stomach, then propelled him back into a clump of rocks with a kick.
The Footpad let out a cry and was still. Jevyan reached out with his staff, touching the dead outlaw.
"Arise." he whispered.

Owollyn groped for his dagger and looked around. His eyes widened in shock and fear.
"No - Zojan!"

Gladoc snarled in rage. The Lich was raising their dead!
"Get him!" he bellowed, pulling a hatchet off his belt and hurling it at Jevyan.

The undead Footpad dived into the path of the flying weapon to protect his master.
He cried out as it tore through his shoulder, landing on the ground with blood streaming from the wound.
"Zojan!" Owollyn bent over his dead brother.

"Fool." Jevyan rasped. Blue lightning crackled from his fingers again, driving Owollyn back into a tangle of bushes.
"Come on, lad!" Gladoc bellowed, pulling him up
Gripping his dagger, Owollyn gritted his teeth and lunged again at the Lich.
"Arrrrgh!" he screamed, leaping into the air. He drove the knife through Jevyan's breast, then fell to the ground under a crushing blow from the staff.

Jevyan ripped the dagger from his body and sent it flying into a tree stump.
"You're mine, Gladoc." he hissed, towering over the Dwarf King.

Gladoc stood firm, looking up at the evil face of his enemy.
"The Dwarves. Are not beaten so easily." he growled.

Without a pause, he jerked an axe from his belt and slammed it into Jevyan's knee.

The Lich screamed in fury and fell to his knees, lashing out at the Dwarf with his staff.

Gladoc dodged around his fallen enemy and raised his hammer.
"AARGH!"
The hammer crashed down into Jevyan's skull, crushing it. He fell forward, landing on the body of an undead warrior.

Gladoc turned, surveying the battlefield. At that moment the last Skeleton took a stone through his eye and collapsed to the ground, his bones rattling loudly.

The Dwarves were victorious.

Goats. The very word makes bile rise in my throat. Ugly - hideous - destructive - vicious - nearly synonymous with the word goat, in my opinion.

I often wondered... if it would be worth it to become a geneticist and attempt to wipe out all goats on this earth using gene warfare.

Naturally of course, my parents just love goats - and are unwilling to accept my dislike of the animal. As in everything else - I should "conform" to whatever their opinions are.

...that's probably another reason I don't like goats, in addition to their stubborn dispositions, their constant use of the ground for a toilet, their racket...

We had previously owned two goats, and one of them died - something which did not cause any sadness to myself, I might add. Now it seems that my parents are buying two more goats.

I always thought that the only reason they owned goats was because they were too cheap to buy milk at the store. Which is ironic considering how much money they spend on goats, goat food, bottles, etc... not to mention how much time it takes to gather hay for them, put up fences everywhere, a building, a tent, a carport...

But - they accuses me of being lazy - of not liking goats because they require a lot of work.
Hah! As if I'm one whit lazier than anyone else in the family.

Oh - and the hypocrisy. They charge that it is sinful for me to hate goats.
Well really? And isn't it equally sinful for them to hate spiders and bees and snakes and whatnot? (As they do, I might add)

Anyway, I don't remember a verse in the Bible about hating goats - maybe it got lost behind the verses about sacrificing those same goats...

Apparently many people think goats are "cute", or some nonsense like that.
(Oh - excuse me - I don't mean to denigrate their opinion)

I suppose if I told them I thought Brown Recluses were "cute" they'd be all aghast over that, though.

Why haven't any novels been written about goats taking over the world and enslaving humans? Or have they already... over in Arabic countries many people own goats - and with the way things have been going over there for the past few centuries...

Who owns whom? ;) That is the question.

So there I was - doing yard work. I started at about 10:30 - and stopped at 3:45. The sun shone down on me all day - burning my hands and neck and giving me a major case of exhaustion.

Raking sticks - putting them in a pile - raking more sticks - collecting them in a wheelbarrow - taking them to the fire - going back - raking sticks...

As I raked and swept and picked up and burned and ate lunch and did some more raking, I mused on how self-conscious some people are.

They want this nice pretty lot of trees in their yard - *and* they want the leaves and sticks off the lawn - *and* they seem to think spending days and days cleaning up the yard just so it "Looks nice" is a valuable way to use your time.

I've been doing yardwork since I was... around four. I haven't been able to fathom the minds of these people yet.
Possibly that's just something parents are supposed to explain, and mine never did. It's also quite possible that some people do yard work to work off stress.

But - the people who hire kids like me to do yard work - what is it? They think we need a job?
These same people usually put on pajamas at night, though... another interesting topic. I sleep in my clothes and wake up in my clothes.
Why waste X minutes taking them off, putting on pajamas - then in the morning taking them off, putting on clothes???

Mom tries to explain it as "what civilized people do". Hah. I suppose that means "civilized" people like to waste time.
Of course, I probably wouldn't sleep in a tuxedo either, but I never wear clothes like that - just regular jeans and shirts.

Oh yes - jeans with holes in them. Some people get into debt, then wonder where all their money went.
I don't suppose it could be because of the new clothes they buy everytime a pair of their existing clothes gets a spot or a rip or a hole or whatnot...

Nowadays it seems ripped clothes are the fashion - though they weren't a short while ago so my parents don't like to see us wearing ripped clothes.

*cough* Pardon me while I roll my eyes! Clothes are supposed to be functional objects, not a fashion statement!
Speaking of fashions... politeness at the table. Keeping your elbows off, chewing with your mouth closed, eating slowly, not wearing hats at the table, etc.

Why? Why do it? The only reason I can think of is - because in our society, it's polite.
Okay, so I'll do that when I'm not eating at home. But why eat politely when you are in the privacy of your own home?
Mom again: "Well, civilized people will..."
...o-kay. Since table manners can seemingly change at the whim of society(like clothing) - who cares?
(Luckily this is a non-serious post or I might be some kind of psychopath)

(Yet again, Wesnoth. I've had a busy day.)

The Cavalier galloped through a tangle of underbrush and reigned in his mount. He glanced around sharply, then raised his hand and barked a command.

Six more horses trotted through the stream, coming up behind him.
"Zaren - which way?" a dragoon questioned.

The Cavalier's sabre flashed through the air, sunlight glancing off the blade.
"Forward - there."
Spurring his horse, Zaren led his scouts over a small hill.

"Whoa!"
They stopped short at the sight of mounted elves charging through a valley toward them.
"Elves!" the dragoon yelled.
"Form and charge!" Zaren ordered crisply.

A barrage of crossbow bolts shot between the two parties. The cavalry drew sword and sabre and swept down on the Elvish Riders.

Zaren brought his sabre down as he rode past one of them, gashing the Elf's shoulder. The Elf continued riding away, firing his bow at a dragoon. The arrow ripped through the soldier's horse. It stumbled and fell, the dragoon leaping off his mount.

Zaren galloped toward him, reloading his crossbow. The bolt shot through the air, plunging into the wounded Elf's chest. He slipped from his saddle, tumbling to the ground.
The unhorsed dragoon dodged nimbly a sword thrust from another elf, then leaped into the saddle behind Zaren.

The Cavalier spurred his horse, galloping away. The hoarse shouts of the combatants drowned out a sudden scream as razor-sharp hooves trampled a fallen Elf into the ground.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Calmly, Peter stepped forward.
"I will take the uniform."

The crowd buzzed loudly. Finally, someone brave enough to do it.

Keyes looked at him sternly.
"Are you sure you want to - "
"I do."
"Then take it."

Peter accepted the suit, buckling it on.

Keyes put her hand on his shoulder.
"Good luck... Reclaimer." she said in a low voice.

He climbed into the Banshee, and took off, soaring through the air.
Below, he could see the crowd of fugitives pile into the Pillar of Autumn.
"I pray they will escape in time."

Ahead, the dull grey steel of the control room structure appeared through a swatch of foliage.

The Reclaimer set his jaw and pushed the control stick forward. The Banshee dived, wind whistling through the wings.

The Arbiter saw the purple machine crash through the treetops above and unsheathed his plasma sword.
"He is mine." he hissed.
The army of Covenant soldiers surrounding the area waited.

The Banshee slammed into the ground and Peter leaped out, an Assault Rifle clenched in his fists.

The Arbiter lunged, sword outstretched. Peter sidestepped, slamming the Rifle into the Arbiter's head. He fired three short blasts, then stabbed his combat knife into the Arbiter's neck.

The other Elites growled angrily. Their leader crumbled to the ground - dead.
Before they could move, Peter reached inside his Banshee and activated the Havoc Warhead.
"Keyes, detonate now!" he radioed.

High above, Miranda Keyes watched through a telescope. A massive army of Covenant swarmed toward the young man. She reached for the switch.

Peter cut down the closest Hunter and then stumbled back, a plasma blade embedded in his chest.
"Ohh..."

The blast of the nuclear warhead completely obliterated the control room and everyone around it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Random, but it'll do. ;))

Oh, and - I just found out C$'s real first name! :eek: :cool:

Last edited:
Matt put the finishing touches on his painting and made one last brushstroke with a flourish.
"There!"

"Magnificent!" the teacher clapped. "Students, gathir around and see the masterpiece our young Leonardo has created."

The students gazed at the canvas.
"Oh, terrific!"
"Wow!"
"Beautiful!"
"Amazing!"
"Spectacular!"
"Splendorific!"

It was a full color, three foot by two foot drawing of Emperor Palpatine.
The first student to notice that he couldn't draw his eyes away from the painting was stunned speechless.
"I - I - "
"What's wrong with y - " the teacher broke off, realizing the same.
"Hey, I can't move!"
"I can't either!"
"AUGH!"

Matt laughed chillingly. "You cannot tear your eyes away from the Emperor."
He stood to the side of the easel, twisting the paintbrush in his fingers.
The students watched in terror as the paintbrush transformed into a huge dual-bladed red lightsaber.

Matt gripped it and stepped forward, a mad light glittering in his eyes.
"What of these, Master?" he rasped in a strange - otherworldly voice.
The painting shimmered, Palpatine's face quivering. The teacher screamed in horror.

Emperor Palpatine stood in the room. The easel lay in pieces behind him.
"Kill them all, Darth Chicken Soup." he ordered.
"Yes, Master." Matt hissed. He twirled the lightsaber around in a gloved fist, and started toward the teacher.

A security guard stuck his head in the room.
"Everything all right here? Hey!"
Palpatine raised one hand and fired a stream of Force lightning at the guard, knocking him out.

Darth Chicken Soup turned around.
"A Sith is not truly a Sith till his Master dies." he said suddenly, then lunged.

There was a flash of crimson light between the two Sith. Emperor Palpatine staggered backward. Darth Chicken Soup collapsed, his body writhing and twitching.
The teacher and students remained frozen, their eyes locked on Palpatine.
Darth Chicken Soup reached out a quivering hand for the lightsaber. He gripped the handle, swung it around, and hurled the blade into the Emperor's chest.

Palpatine staggered and fell, blood pouring from the wound.

"Magnificent!" the teacher clapped. "Students, wasn't that a wonderful story Matt just told us?"
The students clapped enthusiastically.
"Oh, terrific!"
"Wow!"
"Beautiful!"
"Amazing!"
"Spectacular!"
"Splendorific!"

"Thank you!" Chicken Soup bowed.

"But you mispelled "gather" as "gathir" in the second paragraph." Dorkelf pointed out.
"Oh, d'oh!" Lazarus slapped his forehead. "I can't believe I did that."
"Well, we all make mistakes." C$ said. "For instance - it was a mistake for you two to have this live story discussion with me!"
He whipped out a Japanese katana and slashed the LCD off of Lazarus' laptop.
"I'm gonna rip your guts out!"
"AUGH!"
Lazarus and Dorkelf fled out of the house with C$ in hot pursuit, swinging his sword wildly.

(I thought it'd be interesting to explore how a story like this would work - I think it turned out well. :) What about you?)

*first appropriate pictures*
dukeTuxJavaOne2003TShirt.jpg

firefox_image.png

blue-apple-logo.jpg

mozilla_logo_lizard.png

"Come on, come on!" Duke invited.
"Get 'em!" the first Clippy Clone screamed, lunging at Tux and Duke with his saber flashing wildly.

The two teammates slashed once - the Clippy Clone fell to the ground.
The other Clippy Clones held back, afraid.

"Come on, Gates!" Tux yelled, shaking his fist at the enemy.

They came in a rush, swords raised. Tux and Duke fell back under the rain of blows, fighting desperately.
"Come on, guys!" Tux yelled.
A red fox lit his tail against the firewall and charged into the fight, snarling. On the other side of them a huge red dinosaur brought one foot down and crushed three Clippy Clones into the ground.
"Nice job, Moz!" Duke yelled, ducking under a Clippy Clone sword.
"Watch out!" Firefox growled.
"Oh, sorry!" Tux quickly got off his tail.

Suddenly behind them, a massive red apple rolled down the hill. Tux and Duke dashed behind the wall of blazing logs. The Clippy Clones froze in terror.
"Get 'em, Mac!" Tux screamed, waving at the Apple as it flashed by their firewall.

The Apple rolled through the Clippy Clones and smashed them all to bits.
Duke cheered, then extended a cup of Java to Tux.
"Thirsty?"
"I was just about to have a sub sandwich." Tux said, taking a bite out of it.
"NO!" Duke snatched it away. "No Gosub sandwiches! What are you, a BASIC fanboy?"

"Hey guys, what's hanging?" the Apple asked, rolling up to them.
"This jerk was just about to eat a non-crossplatform, non GPL mess of a sandwich that's absolutely loaded with spaghetti!" Firefox snorted.

"Hey! I eat subs, drink coffee, *and* fight Clippy Clones on the weekends! What more can you want?" Tux asked incredulously.

"Loyalty, dang it!" Duke shouted.
Mozilla yawned. "Hey Apple, you're looking fabulous today." he said.
"Why thank you." the Apple smiled.
"Not a single worm hole on ya." Tux complimented.
"Nope, I've been sprayed. No worms, bugs, or trojans are getting through *this* skin." the Apple declared, rubbing his body with a smile.

Tux looked over at the pile of Clippy Clones. His jaw dropped.
"Well would you look at that - ."
"Wow - worms are already eating them up." Duke shook his head.
"Well what can you expect?" the Apple said, pointing at the Clippy Clones' firewall.

Duke snorted - Tux chuckled in disbelief. Mozilla and Firefox just stared.
"I never saw such a firewall in my life! There are tons of holes in it!"

Even as they watched, a huge blue worm crawled through one of the holes and wrapped one slimy tail around a Clippy Clone, then dragged him away.

"You know what guys - lets split." Duke declared.
"I'm for that!" Tux agreed.
The coffee bean and the penguin hopped up on the Apple and rolled merrily away, singing - the dinosaur and fox walking behind them.

"A Long, long, time ago, I can still remember
How UNIX used to make me smile...
And I knew that with a login name
That I could play those unix games
And maybe hack some programs for a while.
But February made me shiver
With every program I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep,
I couldn't take one more spec...
I can't remember getting smashed
When I heard about the system crash
And all the passwords got rehashed
The Day That UNIX Died...
And I was singing:"
Chorus:
"Bye, bye, nroff, rogue and vi
Gave my program to Phil Levy but Phil Levy was high,
The boys on the board were sayin' "kill this, goodbye." Singin'
this'll be the day that I die... This'll be the day that I die"

Last edited:

It sat there in front of me. Huge. Intimidating. Immovable. Completely solid. The gigantic block stretched into the distance farther than I could see,completely blotting out the horizon above.

I screamed, I shouted, I beat against it impotently with my fists.
At last, exhausted, I realized the futility of my efforts. There was no way I could get through it, or around it.

Without access to the other side, the fast moving glacier behind me would soon crush my body against the wall - a chilling fate.

I looked back in apprehension. I could hear rumbling, grinding, smashing.
Then it came into view - small but terrible just the same, destroying everything in its path as it came on.

I screamed in terror, but my voice was drowned out by the noise of the glacier as it smashed into a house.
The house crumbled and was crushed underneath the glacier. And it came on.

I turned, attempted to climb up the side of the huge block; but only managed to break my nails.
The glacier was closer, moving steadily onward - a few hundred yards behind me.
I heard rumbling. The giant block in my path was moving - tipping! Towards me!

Caught between the glacier and the falling block, my mind raced furiously.
"Think, Lazarus - think!"

Then suddenly, I had it. I whipped out my notebook and wrote as fast as I could. I glanced over my shoulder.
The glacier was slowing - melting! The huge block in front of me was shrinking!

I continued writing, faster - and faster! Seconds later, the block was a tiny speck on the ground in front of me. The glacier was a puddle of water.

I closed my notebook and breathed a sigh of relief.
I had made it - through another day of Tek's Challenge.

(Hmm... I thought this story was kind of ironic, considering that it is the story that got me through another day of the Challenge. :)

Last edited:
Well, I don't usually scream in terror either. :) But yes, that sentence seems rather out of place, somehow...

*does a quick edit job*

I got part of this from dreams I used to have where this absolutely immense block of... something was suspended directly over my head - moving downward - about to crush me - and then I would wake up in a cold sweat.

"A Long, long, time ago, I can still remember
How UNIX used to make me smile...
And I knew that with a login name
That I could play those unix games
And maybe hack some programs for a while.
But February made me shiver
With every program I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep,
I couldn't take one more spec...
I can't remember getting smashed
When I heard about the system crash
And all the passwords got rehashed
The Day That UNIX Died...
And I was singing:"
Chorus:
"Bye, bye, nroff, rogue and vi
Gave my program to Phil Levy but Phil Levy was high,
The boys on the board were sayin' "kill this, goodbye." Singin'
this'll be the day that I die... This'll be the day that I die"

I meant this :)

A band of heroic Elves - a dwarf unspeakably evil - a fight that would leave the battlefield running red with blood, and tears.

Nith watched from the hills as her Elvish Marshal and a Champion charged a dwarf on one hill, swinging their swords. They cut him down, but five more dwarves counter-attacked and slew the Marshal!

"Attack!" she cried tearfully and vengefully.
The Elves swarmed from their forests and mountains - few in number, but not in courage. Swords hacked furiously - beams of light and devastating cold wind attacks swept between the combatants.

Four dwarves were slain before they fell back and regrouped.
The Elves attacked with re-doubled vigor. Two Great Mages confronted an outlaw. He hefted a mace and lunged.
Two staffs came up - a literal hail of fireballs shot through the air.
The outlaw screamed in pain as his body was incinerated.

Nith looked on in horror - Dwarvish Berserkers were attacking the Mages! They fought like madmen, swinging their axes and screaming hoarsely.
The Mages struggled to defend themselves with their staves, but the Berserkers chopped them in half and killed both.

The two giant Woses(tree creatures) saw their brethren fall. It would not go unpunished. They crashed into the Berserkers and tore them limb from limb, beating them to death with their branches.

An Elvish Healer fired magical thorns into one of the outlaws, killing him. She was swept away moments later by the axe of a Berserker.
"Stop them!" Nith screamed. She froze the Berserker to death with a furious blast of cold wind from her palm.

The other Elves tore into the enemy, hacking and slashing and stabbing and striking.
When the carnage was over, five Elves remained. Only four Dwarves still stood, clothing soaked with blood - their own.

Nith still had her two Champions, an Outrider, and an Avenger.
She spoke.
"Kill the Dwarf - before he can hire more mercenaries."

The Elves swept down on that Dwarf's castle like a hurricane.
The Outrider galloped up. His sword flashed - the Dwarf reeled back.
The Avenger confronted another outlaw and shot him through the chest with his bow.

Caraecyn's last Dwarf took three arrows from Elvish bows and went down, fighting to the last. His axe was stained on both sides of the blade with dark red blood.
Nith reached down, picking it up - and shattered the axe head to iron dust.

The Dwarf retreated away from them. Elves charged toward him - while above them the sun rose in the sky.
An Elvish Champion reached Caraecyn. He raised his sword.

Bravely, Caraecyn pulled a dagger and lunged at the Elf.
The blade sliced through his shoulder, throwing him into the ground.

Nith stared down at her dead enemy. She wept, putting her head in her hands. So many of her companions lay dead around her.

It was a sad scene. The Elvish Sylph, weeping. The Elvish Champions, trying to comfort her. The Outrider, bandaging a cut on his horse's leg.

The Avenger, killing any Dwarves that he found wounded but still alive. He set his jaw and slew another as the Dwarf struggled to resist. Not a one begged for mercy.

A single horseman rode from the north. He came up behind and stopped, looking down at them.

Nith turned to look at him.
"You said this would happen. You knew!" she cried.
The mage looked sadly at her.
"Nith, I also told you - it could not be averted."
"No - no, there is one way. I should have killed myself!" she said vehemently.
"Do you think that you could commit suicide so easily?" he asked gently.

"I would rather be dead than live without all of them." she answered.
The mage's reply was cut off by the snarl of a Dwarf.
"So be it! As you killed my brother, now you die also."
The crack of Dwarvish Thundersticks echoed. Elf after elf fell slain.

Caraevyn's brother raised his hand to stop the shooting. Only Nith and the mage were left. She turned her face away at the sight of the bloodshed.
"Get back, old man!" the Dwarf called. "I wouldn't want you to be shot accidentally."

The mage looked down at Nith.
"Will you not even resist?" he queried. "It is better to die fighting than otherwise."

In a single fluid motion, Nith mounted behind the mage. His horse galloped forward, fireballs and blasts of ethereal wind pouring forth from the two in the saddle.

The crack of Thundersticks sounded in Nith's ears. She threw magical gossamer at a Dwarf and ripped the weapon from his hands.

Caraevyn's brother raised his own Thundersticks and sighted down the barrel.

The Elf cast a blast of cold wind at another Dwarf. She felt a sudden sharp pain - then blackness.

White porcelain walls surrounded him. The floor was slippery underneath his feet. He cowered, hoping to remain unnoticed.

Water splashed around him in a steady stream, covering the ground. He slipped and slid, struggling. His legs kept him upright, but could not stop him from sliding toward the gigantic hole several feet away - into which the water rapidly drained away in a huge whirlpool.

He felt something push him from behind - they were trying to send him in! He struggled frantically, was washed away in a stream of water.

Lazarus smiled triumphantly as the spider disappeared in the water swirling around the bathtub drain. His mouth dropped open in astonishment as the spider reappeared, it's eight legs struggling to pull it away from the drain.

A wave of water swept it away - the whirlpool frothed madly - the spider was gone.

"VICTORY!" Lazarus shouted, shaking his fists and the sponge into the air.
"Aren't you finished cleaning that bathroom yet?!" somebody shouted.
"Uhm - almost."
"Well get done already, you lazy good-for-nothing... and stop making all that noise!"

Back