teamspeak woes yet again

TheRaven

So, it seems that we've lost our admin powers to kick people and we've been under attack from trolls all night here. Can anything be done??????

Dannymeister from League of Legends has been helping us out tonight but I would really love some permanent powers at least in the GW channels.

I'm in favor of maybe just creating a "casual night gaming" channel, and password protecting it. There's only about 3-4 of us that are on at a time, just havin' a blast, then all of the sudden, Trolls...I wonder if sunlight turns them to stone like The Hobbit...

Moderator's Note: Moving thread to CGA General for more awareness.

So, it seems that we've lost our admin powers to kick people

This part should be fixed and restored. I'm not sure how it came that they were revoked, but if the TS3 server operator could reinstate these, I, and the others, would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the help last night, Josh.

These guys were trouble. They were using virtual machines to continually rotate their ip addresses so Josh's ip bans weren't doing much good. They just kept logging back in and continuing to troll. Josh was finally able to do an ip ban range that seemed to stop them for a bit.

I know it's been discussed before and shot down, but perhaps we should think about password protecting the server. It's a pain to have to deal with this issue on a regular basis.

What's mumble? Never heard of it.

I know it's been discussed before and shot down, but perhaps we should think about password protecting the server. It's a pain to have to deal with this issue on a regular basis.
I'm opposed to password-protecting the server. I know we have several regulars who use ToJ's League of Legends channels but don't participate on the forums or check the web site (where we would post a password).

The system we have now (open server, clearly posted rules, several active admins) works well 99% of the time. And when we run into those 1% situations where troublemakers go to excessive lengths to troll (seriously, virtual machines and rotating IP addresses?), Joshinator or I can drop by and take care of things.

For the mind-set of the flesh is hostile to God because it does not submit itself to God’s law, for it is unable to do so.
Romans 8:7, HCSB

When we profess our faith or identify ourselves as Christians online, we're going to be attacked by trolls. Rather than wall ourselves off, we need to clearly state our rules and give trusted community members the ability to protect our servers.

What's mumble? Never heard of it.
Mumble is a voice chat client, much like TeamSpeak. The difference is that Mumble represents our best chance of running One Voice Chat Server To Rule Them All.

And there's some nice in-game overlays in most popular online multiplayer PC games, too.

And supposedly the audio quality is better.

Um, Raven I talked about Mumble when we first got it a few weeks ago when we were on TS, we might want to shift to it soon.

Well, I really wish you'd reconsider the password thing but I do understand that it's your server and your rules. If we did have a password, we definitely should not post it on the website or forums. That would kinda defeat the purpose. Instead we'd just pass it along ingame to the players in our guilds that use voice chat. Same with League of Legends and other games that have active TS players.

Ursen, yes I do remember you mentioning an alternative server now that you mention it. I had forgotten. Perhaps that would be the best solution. Just move to mumble and abandon teamspeak. Is the Tribe of Judah currently paying to maintain both servers? If so, we definitely should cut costs and move to a single server. However, I have to ask. What's to prevent the trolls from moving to mumble as well?

For now I have my channel admin privileges back. That's usually enough to foil most trolls, but these guys were persistent and even Josh's admin powers had little effect against them. I'm not sure why I lost my admin status, but I've had computer problems recently and had to re-install my O/S and start with a clean slate. I may have lost them then when i re-installed ts.

Tek, would you be open to a compromise? Keep the server open but password protect 1 or 2 channels?

Tek, would you be open to a compromise? Keep the server open but password protect 1 or 2 channels?
That sounds like a fair compromise. I don't want the majority of users holing up in password-protected channels, but it would be wise to have an alternative when the trolls come knockin'.

As for Mumble vs. TeamSpeak on the subject of anti-troll measures: I don't know the specifics, but, if I remember correctly, Mumble creates one certificate per computer and uses that to identify a user, so I don't know if virtual machines would be an effective trolling tool on a Mumble server.

But the more active our server, the more likely an admin will be on and the better defense we have against trolls. If we had One Voice Chat Server To Rule Them All, then the chances of an admin being on are greater than if we're split across multiple servers.

Also, for those occassions where an Admin is needed and they are not on TS3 it would be wise to jot down or friend some of the admins like Tek and Josh to try and reach them some other way. I know Tek is on almost every sort of IM and can be reached through Steam and a slew of other programs. In his Signature there are a baker's dozen of options (though not all of them effective). I would recommend keeping those contacts in your repertoire if at all possible.

Josh, would you be opposed to having some means of contact aside from TS3 and the Forums for members to utilize in case of an "emergency"?

Josh gave me a "google" phone # last night. I'm not quite sure how to use it. Can I just call it from a normal phone? He said that's the best way to reach him.

Thanks Tek for the compromise. That sounds like the best ts solution for now. We can protect one of our channels and pass the password along to our "regulars".

I agree with moving everyone to 1 server. Much better to have everyone together. So, what do I need to know to start mumbling?

I agree with moving everyone to 1 server. Much better to have everyone together. So, what do I need to know to start mumbling?
Download the Mumble client here, install it, run the audio wizard, and connect to cgalliance.org using the default port.

If you run into problems with any of those steps, you can post in the CGA Mumble Server thread, ask Joshinator or me, or ask others who use Mumble.

Ok, i downloaded mumble and Ursen helped me find the server. My main problem though is the lack of volume controls. I tried to chat with Ursen on mumble but he was SOOOOO LOUD it was blasting my ear drums. I couldn't find a way to turn him down so I left. Are there any volume controls? I saw some "mute" and deafen options when I right-clicked Ursen's name but they were grayed out.

Ok, i downloaded mumble and Ursen helped me find the server. My main problem though is the lack of volume controls. I tried to chat with Ursen on mumble but he was SOOOOO LOUD it was blasting my ear drums. I couldn't find a way to turn him down so I left. Are there any volume controls? I saw some "mute" and deafen options when I right-clicked Ursen's name but they were grayed out.

No you can't, on purpose. Here is from the FAQ:
Can I change to volume of a specific user?

No, you cannot. Mumble employs AGC (Automatic Gain Control) to normalize the volumes of all players automatically. This means the individual adjustment of a single user is not required, nor wanted. We feel that it makes no sense for every user on a server to adjust the volume of someone manually when the person in question could just fix things on his end instead. Note that pretty much all questions we receive on this this come up because of users who did not bother to do our Audio Wizard, AGC is powerfull but if there is not enough signal to begin with (e.g. Mic volume turned way down) it will not be able to operate correctly.

So basically when one person comes on loud, instead of 10 people adjusting him down, just yell at him to run the audio wizard.

So, any progress on this? We had issues again with trolls tonight.

I'm just sick of dealing with it all the time. It's nice for you to say that you want an open server but you aren't the ones dealing with the trolls. We need to be able to password protect our channels when the trolls come or at least give us some powers to ban them.

Right now we have no tools to protect ourselves!!! I thought Josh had given us ban privileges but apparently they were only temporary.

I did eventually manage to ban him after playing whack a mole with him for 10 mins. He kept bouncing in and out of channel making for a tough target.

Back