Team Fortress 2 presents.. Yet Another TF2 Update

toj-Grey

Australian Christmas of 2011

Right now it looks like the update is for the Engineer and Pyro but its only day one so far, so expect more soon.

whats new you ask, well..

The engineer gets two new weapons (anti-medic/spy shotgun ,teleport wrench) and new hat (goggles w/ hair-do).
The Pyro gets a three new weapons (critical building flaregun, anti-medic-team fire axe, flamethrower for W+M1 players with a meter) and a new hat (astronaut helmet) as well.

Update also includes the newest hat, full head of steam, a top hat with steam punk style. Which you can unlock by completing achievements on the newest map, Foundry.

Last edited:
More lazers? Really Valve there are still plenty of options more in line with TF2's original art direction than that.

Unlike previous updates it's only going to have only two update info release days. Still I'll try to be ready to try out new stuff tomorrow. New map yay.

Also Map based achievements are something I wondered if Valve would do a long while back. This is because many of my item ideas were based on specific map themes, flying type items for maps with airships, jungle type items for jungle maps etc.

Last edited:
"On hit: Victim loses 10% ubercharge."

/facepalm

I'll keep playing the game, but every new update that Valve puts out has me looking into a weapon lock plugin for our server again.

I know it's too early to say, "It's updates like these that drive players away from TF2," but that's my initial impression.

EDIT: But hey, at least we get a new map!

I know it's too early to say, "It's updates like these that drive players away from TF2," but that's my initial impression.

Most of the ToJ members who'd dropped TF2 did so for the same reason. But for every member that's dropped the game, one or two new members join us.

Everybody has a different style of play. Each weapon you absolutely hate, someone else will love. They all address different game play styles and issues people have with different trade offs. If you don't like the weapon don't play it.

It can effect your enjoyment I agree. I hate the number of times a FaN scout has taken me out when I play a heavy. A scout should never take a heavy out by itself. But there is still enough of the game left for me to still enjoy.

The engy is my most played class and yet it's the class that causes me to rage the most. I can't tell the number of times I"ve built a nest with a great tele only to have people run out of the tele, right past the spy or sticky bombs and let me die. The best thing they could give an engy would be a dispenser that doesn't heal unless the person standing next to it is pressing their primary fire button. I mean is it really that hard for a pryo or heavy to shoot a bit standing next to a dispenser and spy check? Especially if sappers keep appearing on the dispenser

Um ok. I've drifted off on my own rage tangent... sorry

It's not so much an issue of style as it is Engineers leeching my ubercharge. I play with the stock Medigun, so it's difficult enough to live long enough to build to 100% (and THEN there's the challenge of deploying at the right time and keeping the beam connected while the person you've ubercharged attempts to take down a sentry). There are so many variables involved with taking down a well-placed sentry that it's already a challenge. Now Engineers can knock off 10% ubercharge per shot?

I'm looking at these update notes and starting to wonder if Valve thinks Medics are OP.

/smh

While this update is still fresh and the new weapons still popular, I might have to play a different class or resort to using the Quick-Fix. :(

Constant changes to the balancing due to additional weapons being added was why I stopped playing the game in the first place. Yet here I am, playing once more.

In my opinion, the heavy/medic combo is the most deadly thing in the game, followed closely by those accursed sticky bombs. Are they OP? I don't know. They can be countered, just often not how I would like to counter them. That being said, if a heavy does not take out a scout within a couple seconds (it only takes a couple hits) they deserve to be pummeled to death with the FoN. Besides, the heavy could always opt for the Natasha which eats scouts for brunch.

I find most weapons in the game are not necessarily over-powered but are just annoying. The guns are merely tools. If the team stinks it won't matter what gun you or your enemy are carrying.

Of course, I could still complain about the ever-increasing size of the already bloated game as it slowly takes over my hard drive. 100MB here and 300MB there add up real quick. . .

So it looks like our TF2 server is currently being updated and the Steam network is having an aneurism.

What do you all say to an impromptu, password-protected game night tomorrow (Friday, Dec. 16) night?

I'm always up for some TF2!

Maybe.... my home computer's video card seems to have taken the rest of it's life off.

I agree with gerbil about the lazers. Seems Valve finds sci-fi stuff inspirational.

I am not sure how the Pomson will work out ingame. If a ubercharge is coming in, the engi would have to choose between sapping the uber or try keeping his sentry alive by wrenching it for dear life. The last does not always work and the Pomson will probably not be that effective in saving your sentry either, unless you have another engi nearby to wrench. Well, in theory anyway.

But if suddenly engineers pop up who just run around shooting medics, yeah, that will not be cool. Especially since I almost always use the Vita-Saw to save some of my charge.

I do think that the wrench might be balanced; it's easier to defend your tele's, but you will not be able to have the bleed effect of the ever so popular southern hospitality.

I agree with gerbil about the lazers. Seems Valve finds sci-fi stuff inspirational.

The http://www.drgrordborts.com people apparently like TF2 and keep making items Valve feels compelled to use , probably since they are getting them free. Granted the models are high quality just this is TF2 not the Dr. Gordbort's company. I guess if I got free high quality models given to me I'd feel compelled to use them too or insult the giver. Valve can we at least have more normal weapons to reduce the percentage of pew, pew a bit? I am currently thinking the Gordborts people intend to do all the classes the way it's going.

What do you all say to an impromptu, password-protected game night tomorrow (Friday, Dec. 16) night?
I could not make Friday twas asleep, sorry.

Also the update was probably the least compelling of any updates. The map is ok but nothing special and Valve didn't give people a single free key unlike last year. Yesterday I could not even find a break down on what 14 community items where added. I guess I'll be waiting for crafting recipes or random drops on the new weapons. I do think the wrapping paper/Christmas ornament Sandman re-placer weapon is a clever idea though and at least something I had not though of. Uhh I like the Saturday Evening Post parody cover they did too. If I could choose to own any original painting ,and wasn't going to sell it, it would be by Normal Rockwell.

Last edited:
I looked up the new items on the list within TF2 and apparently all of the Christmas weapons do have their own functions. I mean none are re-skins. If I remember right the three weapons were a icicle for the spy, mittens for the heavy and the wrap batter thing for the Scout. I want the spy-cycle as all backstabs are silent in exchange for fire melting it for 15 seconds. I could not use my strange knife then though and Tek will hate me if I start using any new spy weapon XD...

The Scout weapon works like the sandman but does bleed when the ornament hits at the cost of a 70% damage penalty. Sounds useless in function but I find the art idea clever.

The Heavy's mittens make an enemy laugh on crit and crits do no damage. So it's like a stun I think. Perhaps annoying but considering a crit punch is libel to kill you as it is it doesn't sound overpowered.

As far as cosmetic items go the Scout gets an elf costume which is something I thought of before. There is also a gift box hat for all classes which is something I thought of for the Spy but I'm working on something similar but different anyway... There is a hood for the Pyro, a sweater for the sniper, a woolen cap hood thing, a lunchbox for the Heavy and several Santa type items for various classes. I still have a many good Christmas ideas for next year yay! Now if I can only make them...

Just open up TF2 and look at items then the TF2 catalog if you want to see the new stuff.

Last edited:
I had the Spy-icle, sold it for 2 rec.

Got lots of Festive weapons, few festive items and very rare festive stranges!

And the servers are overwhelmed that it won't show up the items.

Last edited:
I had the Spy-icle, sold it for 2 rec.

Got lots of Festive weapons, few festive items and very rare festive stranges!

And the servers are overwhelmed that it won't show up the items.

I plan to just wait for stuff to drop as I am very patient. I can just get it from Bird of Pray if it comes to it too.

Well, got more stuff and 5 strange festive weapons (2 dupes).

Almost sold 3 of them and a kringle collection for Dead Island cd-key. -_-

Last edited:
Back