T-Mobile, HTC Ready for Android's First Chapter

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
T-Mobile and handset maker HTC are taking the cover off the first Android-based cell phone Tuesday at a press conference in New York. The Open Handset Alliance, a group that includes Google, T-Mobile, HTC, Qualcomm, Motorola and others, is billing Android as the first truly open and comprehensive platform for mobile devices.

What will a Google Android-based HTC look like? And how will it shake up the market? Here's what we can discern from leaked photos: It's a touchscreen device with a full, slide-out keyboard. Pricing rumors peg the device at $199, in line with Apple's iPhone 3G.
Source: T-Mobile, HTC Ready for Android's First Chapter

Let's hope that the Android platform allows developers to quickly unlock the phone so it can be used on other networks. The phone sounds like it could be a terrific alternative to the iPhone, but I don't care for T-Mobile.

EDIT: Click here for more information about Android.

EDIT: Does it seem completely hypocritical for Google to go on about an "open platform" when the first Android-based phone will only be available at T-Mobile, or is it just me? Isn't that the same sort of nonsense people complained about when Apple and AT&T unveiled the iPhone?

EDIT: /groan

Speaking of hypocrisy:

What would it take to build a better mobile phone?

A commitment to openness, a shared vision for the future, and concrete plans to make the vision a reality.

Welcome to the Open Handset Alliance™, a group of more than 30 technology and mobile companies who have come together to accelerate innovation in mobile and offer consumers a richer, less expensive, and better mobile experience. Together we have developed Android™, the first complete, open, and free mobile platform.
Source: Open Handset Alliance

"And when we say 'openness,' we mean that you'll have no choice but to switch to T-Mobile if you want to use this phone."

<sarcasm> Yeh, that's really open. </sarcasm>

Last edited:
Yeah, the Touch Pro (will be Fuze at AT&T end of Oct, or so it is said) is very enticing. Sigh. But $$$$....

"Open platform" has to do with the O/S, not the carrier.

I'm interested in it since I'm already with T-Mobile, but Tampa won't have 3G service until the end of the year. At least by then they will have the bugs worked out :)

just give me my Touch HD and WinMo7

end of story
After playing with a HTC Touch at an Alltel store this evening, I'm not nearly as excited about the next HTC models or any Windows Mobile devices.

I'd like to see a second generation of Android phones before making the leap to a converged device (phone + PDA + GPS), but my wife and I will need to decide on new phones before then.

Chances are good that we'll stick with AT&T ("The devil you know," and all that), which is unfortunate because AT&T has a very poor selection of phones and plan features when compared to other carriers.

/me wonders if he can find out what's fresh in Tokyo and just import it

The next thing I want to get would be an... OpenMoko. I am totally uninterested in Android phones, iPhones, or any other mobile type device because of it.

I use a HTC phone, GPS and PDA and it is literally the best thing I have ever brought for work. The only thing I would say is the installed co-pilot live software that comes with the HTC is terrible. If you get the chance, and assuming you have the company over there, drop HTCs co-pilot and install whereis maps.

Back