Starting clean with a pc?

inkelis

Ok, my long time computer is now becoming my wife's. I'm wondering how i go about doing that? will i need the original OS for the wipe? and how do i go about doing a clean sweep anyways? i can't seem to find a way to do a complete clean HD...

I've done this all before a few years ago, but for some reason the details have escaped me! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

just format the drive. If the system came with recovery disks use those(just get ready to do massive amounts of updating(behind a router) before letting her have it..and get rid of the crapware that comes with it AND once all of that is done install avg,

you can't format the system drive form inside windows..it won't let you. do you have hte recovery disks?

Just out of curiosity - if the computer is still going to be in your house only for your wife's use - why do you need to do a clean sweep?

We have passed down computers and have found that with a bunch of uninstalls and cleanups we were able to reduce the computer programs enough to free up the room she needed without having to reload all the programs she would use - which is a good thing because for some of them, the disks were God only knows where.

If I were giving the computer to someone at church - I'd be doing what you are talking about - but in house - I'd just clean it up a bit.

My wife wants it to be completely clean for her own reasons... heh. I suppose she wants every trace of me gone.

reformatting the machine after however many years is a good idea. It gets the cruft that windows systems accumulate out of hte system..

My wife wants it to be completely clean for her own reasons... heh. I suppose she wants every trace of me gone.
That sounds so sad. :(

reformatting the machine after however many years is a good idea. It gets the cruft that windows systems accumulate out of hte system..
QFT (though I had to look up cruft on dictionary.com to learn what the word means).

Cruft - that is a new word in my vocabulary - I have several good uses for it.

Back