Starcraft or Warcraft III

Probably Warcraft III, as far as popularity goes.

But... I would pick up both :)

Warcraft III and it's expansion are newer, so you have a little bit more control and options in it than StarCraft. But, it's a very hard choice to make, because both games are very different.

The fun factor is very, very similar though. StarCraft is, without a doubt, one of the very best games out there, even today.

BTW, if you get either game you must get the expansion.. there's just so much missing if you don't.

Bowser, does Warcraft III have "build anywhere" functionality or are you limited to where you can build?

It depends on your race. Certain races can build anywhere they please. Other races have to build within a certain area of another building.

Actually, 3 of the races can build anywhere they want. And one, the Night Elfs, can even move some of their buildings. The Undead are the ones who must build within an area called the "blight".

Mr_Slice said:
Holy cow. The Battlechest still retails for $39.99?!?! It's nearly three years old!
Aye, but it's an excellent game.

Warcraft III's multiplayer component doesn't measure up to Starcraft's. Some would disagree, but to each his or her own. The WC3 single-player campaigns are a load of fun, though the last mission of the Frozen Throne campaigns is absurdly difficult.

Starcraft's single-player campaigns are also excellent, but multiplayer is where the game shines. The game is still the standard by which real-time strategy games are judged, more than seven years after its release.

I'd recommend picking up both if your budget allows. If cost is an issue, then pick up WC3 if single-player is more important and SC if multiplayer is more important.

EDIT: I should also mention that the Warcraft III is superior in terms of flexibility. If you decide to pick up WC3, be sure to download Azeroth Grand Prix (a sort of "Mario Kart 64" built in WC3 available here) to prove just how flexible the engine is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. :)

I won't be getting anything until I can sell a few games, though. I was actually hoping to get something I could play multiplayer with ToJ members, but WC III is much more appealing to me and it's the lesser multiplayer game. Bah!

Mr_Slice said:
Thanks for the advice. :)

I won't be getting anything until I can sell a few games, though. I was actually hoping to get something I could play multiplayer with ToJ members, but WC III is much more appealing to me and it's the lesser multiplayer game. Bah!

I wouldn't necessarily say "lesser". Both games have great multiplayer, and Warcraft is going to be more popular righ tnow. There are several tournaments that are sponsered by Blizzard that go on a weekly basis, and it's obviously one of the most played multiplayer games out there. In fact, I think it is the most played RTS right now. I suggest you download the demo, and try it out.

I have actually played both in ladder games so i'll throw out my take.

Warcraft III is much more unit dependant. You have to utalize each and every one of your units abillities. If you just run them into the enemys base, youll more than likely be killed. The thing about Warcraft is that you will have basically one main army the entire game, and if somehow that army dies, you basically lose.

Starcrafts overall gameplay is much faster and everything depends on speed. Unlike Warcraft, units generally dont have as many abillities and you can have multipule armys. Also unlike Warfrat if you do lose your main army you can usually re-create a semi-army before you should expect a counter attack.

Gameplay-wise I give it to Starcraft, but strategy-wise I give it to Warcraft III. You will always have people who like one so you'll never have trouble finding opponents on either game :)

Parakletos said:
I have actually played both in ladder games so i'll throw out my take.

Warcraft III is much more unit dependant. You have to utalize each and every one of your units abillities. If you just run them into the enemys base, youll more than likely be killed. The thing about Warcraft is that you will have basically one main army the entire game, and if somehow that army dies, you basically lose.

Starcrafts overall gameplay is much faster and everything depends on speed. Unlike Warcraft, units generally dont have as many abillities and you can have multipule armys. Also unlike Warfrat if you do lose your main army you can usually re-create a semi-army before you should expect a counter attack.

Gameplay-wise I give it to Starcraft, but strategy-wise I give it to Warcraft III. You will always have people who like one so you'll never have trouble finding opponents on either game :)
If you're playing BGH or something then you're correct, SC doesn't have much strategy. But if you're playing normal maps the way it was meant to be played, SC has TONS of strategy, and it easily trumps WC3.

Starcraft = best game ever. You must get it. Or else.

Back