Star Wars Galaxies Beta

Matrinix

Anyone out there with SWG Beta that has a buddy key that would be willing to give it to me. I am really in need of one, I am in a SWG clan and the president of the only user-ran company in the clan. I need to get aware to the SWG system. Please anyone out there... I really want it!

I'm sorry to say that I've decided not to participate in the Star Wars Galaxies beta.

At first, I was thrilled to be selected for the closed beta. I agreed to the various licenses and such agreements, then was informed that I would have to pay $5.95 and at least an additional $5.62 for shipping. Anyone with a CD burner and a nearby post office knows that these charges are ridiculously high. Blank CDs are now approximately a quarter a piece if bought in bulk, and I shipped Red Hat Linux 9.0 to amusedtoe for about $2.

Here's the thoughts I shared with the developers:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hrm...$5.95 for the CD then an additional $5.62--minimum--for shipping? Blank CDs are very cheap now and that sounds very high for shipping. I understand that Sony has a responsibility to turn a profit, but isn't it a bit early for that? It also seems odd that they ship the account number with the CD, so you can't simply dump the CD to an ISO image and share it with other beta testers.

Even should I participate in the beta, I don't agree with these unethical business practices. Betas are intended for troubleshooting, not for turning a profit before retail release. Some of us have to make every penny count, and $12-$16 for the "privelege" of beta testing is absurd. If the CD and shipping cost closer to $5 (the approximate cost for the Earth and Beyond beta CDs), then I'd understand. But this is ridiculous.

I was rather hoping to get in on an early phase of the beta, but I won't pay $12 to do so. Anyone who has ever participated in a MMORPG beta knows that the "shine" of being chosen to be a beta tester wears off rather quickly as servers go down, character data is lost, and aspects of the game you enjoy get "nerfed," removed, or otherwise altered.

I enjoyed participating in the Dark Age of Camelot beta and went on to play the game for the next six months at a reduced rate, but I played the beta for free. It looks as though I'll never play SWG now, and if this first business development is any indication, I'm glad that I won't have to fear being swindled out of my money.

you turned down a chance to be in the beta of the most anticipated game ever, just cause of $12? X_X

Sounds like he has had enough experience in betas to know it doesn't end up being as glorious as one may think.

I think the anticipation has been wearing off over time. Not that it isn't still anticipated, but with all the delays, smaller feature set, and all the cool E3 announcements, I think many people have moved on.

Yes, let's all rememeber that Beta'ing is actually Software Testing. This is BORING stuff. IF anything happens, you have to report it, if something doesn't look right, you have to report it, and they're charging an huge amount for the cd plus a huge amount for shipping. I concur with Tek, it's just inane sounding.

Think of it this way. Betaing is such a chore that EA PAYS people to Beta the Sims.

As a software engineer I understand the need for a good beta tester and other QA things. Yet having done QA, I can honestly say I don't like it. You're having to check a high percentage of all possible logic pathways. It makes me shudder...

as for most anticipated game ever? I don't think so. As I have said before, MMORPG's just don't cut it. They are to expensive. Either they need to give the software out free (or for under 20bucks) and then charge only 10-15 a month, or keep the software at 50-60 an then charge nothing or under 5 a month. I won't play this game, for the sole reason I don't want to pay multiple times, exorbiant fees to play, month after month. Rather just play some mp JK2, or the New JK2: Jedi Academy. I love SW. I spend hundreds of dollars a year on SW related merchandise, yet this is one purchase I will not make..

I totally agree with Kidan on the whole pay by the month. I have no plans on buying it anyway for that one reason. If that sounds cheap, as I've mentioned before, $50 + $10/month = $170 in your first year. I don't play games enough to really make it worth it. But, I think the whole MMORPG is not really for me. I like to play SP games. And move on to the next game. Every once in awhile I head back to an old game I completed.

Also, like Kidan, I am a big Star Wars fan. Although I think my purchasing habits have slimmed down compared to him.
biggrin.gif

Being a beta tester can be both fun and frustrating. I ran a beta program for an old job of mine and I think everyone got the final version of our product for free. Having to pay for the beta is not right. You are helping THEM out. The only reason they are charging is because they know they can get away with it.

^_^;;

As it turns out, a lovely little donation towards the beta CDs motivated me to make the purchase (since it wasn't really my money) and try it out.

From the very little I've played so far, I can say that I like the interface and navigation systems. I must confess that I find myself impatient with the learning curve, but that's due to my short attention span and not game design. I'm sure those with a bit of patience could adapt to the game quickly.

I hope to play long enough to write up a full review, and will let everyone know if/when I do. Of course, I did just purchase Battlefield 1942 and Road to Rome, so I might be playing that more often. We'll see.

Back