Star Wars Expanded Universe (including games) no longer canon

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Many bothans died to bring us this information: The Star Wars Expanded Universe - or EU for short - is getting cut from Star Wars canon like hands get cut from the Skywalker family. In a news post on the official Star Wars site, Lucasfilm announced that only the six Star Wars films and the Clone Wars television show will be considered canon. In other words, as far as Luke, Leia, Han and the gang are concerned, there were no knights of the Old Republic, nor was the Force ever unleashed.
Source: Star Wars Expanded Universe (including games) no longer canon

So if they're going to axe the expanded universe, does that mean they'll retcon midichlorians, too?

Not too surprising given the major complications trying to work anything new into the massive EU. You run the risk of contradicting some obscure bit of history which fanboys would immediately pounce upon as a tragic blow to the continuity of a fictitious universe.

Not to mention, without declaring it invalid they have no wiggle room at all for the new movies. Everyone and their third cousin's future has already been mapped out in a landslide of books.

Midichlorians (man I am going to have to wash out my mouth if I keep having to say that word...) were in the movie which keeps them in the Cannon. The EU has been declared to be legend which means it MIGHT not have happened. The main effect of his is that they just nuked all the books and material after RotJ which means that we aren't getting a movie featuring Thrawn or Mara Jade. Making Heir to the Empire into a movie would have been too cool.

The main effect of his is that they just nuked all the books and material after RotJ which means that we aren't getting a movie featuring Thrawn or Mara Jade. Making Heir to the Empire into a movie would have been too cool.
But that would have ruined the "fly by the seat of your pants" (aka making it up as you go along) method of film-making that was employed for the first 6 movies. There's no way they should use an established story (which most people actually liked) for the next three.

Also, it would have required royalties to Timothy Zahn. . .

Well most of the post episodes books were fan based ideas...as for the games made by lucasarts not sure how they erase all of that.

Well most of the post episodes books were fan based ideas...as for the games made by lucasarts not sure how they erase all of that.
It's all expanded universe. It's now all only a "legend." It's no different than the books.

I'm pretty happy it's all being declared non-canon (again). I read a bunch of it, and there is a lot of mediocre to bad, and then only a little bit of good-great to make up for it. A lot of stories are just painful.

It doesn't affect most of the games. SW:KOTR I, II and SWTOR won't be effected at all and a considerable part of the EU is prior to the movies.

It's all expanded universe. It's now all only a "legend." It's no different than the books.

I'm pretty happy it's all being declared non-canon (again). I read a bunch of it, and there is a lot of mediocre to bad, and then only a little bit of good-great to make up for it. A lot of stories are just painful.

Yeah, well... I started making a point of doing some enjoyment reading. Going through Seminary and trying to stay sharp as a pastor I have to read a lot of heady material. I need what I like to call "brain candy." So I picked up some of the Star Wars books from the library. I liked the "Old Republic" books I read, they were well written and enjoyable. I read the Bane series and Darth Plageus, again both well done. I tried to read the new Legacy of the Force series. Wow, what a dog. The story sucked, there were typos and grammatical errors (my years as a college professor makes that really bother me), I was one chapter from finishing (besides being able to see the big plot twist, before I read about it on the internet) and I just couldn't bring myself to finish the book. There are some real gems in the EU (Trawn, Jade, I really like the stuff from Timothy Zahn and Drew Kapy-whaterhisnameis) but there is a lot of drek too.

Yeah, well... I started making a point of doing some enjoyment reading. Going through Seminary and trying to stay sharp as a pastor I have to read a lot of heady material. I need what I like to call "brain candy." So I picked up some of the Star Wars books from the library. I liked the "Old Republic" books I read, they were well written and enjoyable. I read the Bane series and Darth Plageus, again both well done. I tried to read the new Legacy of the Force series. Wow, what a dog. The story sucked, there were typos and grammatical errors (my years as a college professor makes that really bother me), I was one chapter from finishing (besides being able to see the big plot twist, before I read about it on the internet) and I just couldn't bring myself to finish the book. There are some real gems in the EU (Trawn, Jade, I really like the stuff from Timothy Zahn and Drew Kapy-whaterhisnameis) but there is a lot of drek too.
The one thing I would ask is, please give us x-wing/wraith movies... AND AN I, JEDI MOVIE!

This decision doesn't diminish Timothy Zahn's fantastic books, IMO.

On a related note: Of Zahn's Star Wars books, I only read the Heir to the Empire trilogy. I haven't read the other 2 he wrote yet, but I did read his excellent Conquerors trilogy. Good stuff.

Honestly not bothered by "everything else is considered legend" decision. It's pretty much the approach I've taken to comics in general for myself anyway. Doesn't detract from awesome legends of legendary characters but frees up the creative process for a unified universe in film. It's the same reason I have so much respect for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, even if there are significant changes from some of the comics I love along the way (mostly the whole Iron Patriot thing is what does it for me).

So does that mean they're taking away from the lore that Luke Skywalker even had a wife and a son to begin with? I was looking forward to seeing Ben Skywalker in Ep. VII

Back