Soul Calibur IV

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Great game.

I haven't tried the online multiplayer yet, but I'd like to play with/against other ToJ members soon.

One question: Why in BLAZES can I not change my character's name in the Character Creation section? There's even a field marked "Name Entry," but it's grayed out.

Halp!

EDIT: Also, the ratio of stuff available at the start to unlockable stuff borders on the absurd. It almost makes me feel like there's no point to the mode until I complete all the single-player modes. And I still wish I could start with a "blank" character. I was planning to create a character with Xianghua's fighting style but male instead of female.

But other than that, I like it. :D

Last edited:
Needs more lightsabers. I could get it from Goozex if ya really want me to. :p

Xianghua and her single saber taiji-influenced style, eh? Huge Mitsurugi fan, myself.

Anyway, I think I may have mentioned this in our Home chat or something, but I'll try to sell my 360 copy of SCIV and pick up the PS3 version. It won't be immediate, but it'll happen.

Hopefully before you grow tired of the game. :p

Edit: Soul Calibur is up on Amazon now. With any luck, someone will snag it soon.

Edit again: Putting it on Goozex, instead. Instant trade request. I should have the PS3 build within a week or so.

Last edited:
Xianghua and her single saber taiji-influenced style, eh? Huge Mitsurugi fan, myself.
There has never been, nor will there likely ever be, a character whose fighting style is as simply cool as Xianghua's. I still think her movement was a tiny bit more fluid in Soul Calibur II, but she still rocks in SCIV.

Anyway, I think I may have mentioned this in our Home chat or something, but I'll try to sell my 360 copy of SCIV and pick up the PS3 version. It won't be immediate, but it'll happen.

Hopefully before you grow tired of the game. :p
It may be a while. I'm splitting my time between multiple games and demos right now, so I doubt I'll be playing SCIV (or any game) excessively in the near future.

Edit: Soul Calibur is up on Amazon now. With any luck, someone will snag it soon.

Edit again: Putting it on Goozex, instead. Instant trade request. I should have the PS3 build within a week or so.
Most excellent. I'm not sure how that all works, but it sounds like there's a good chance you'll have it soon.

I dun goofed. Misread something somewhere and... am out a copy of SCIV. ALAS! May take a little longer to get it than I hoped. Oops. XD

And on a lighter note, I'll be getting SC4 in about a week. >.>

I dun goofed. Misread something somewhere and... am out a copy of SCIV. ALAS! May take a little longer to get it than I hoped. Oops. XD
Eh? You just...lost your 360 copy of SCIV?

Traded out. Wouldn't call it a loss... so much as an imperfectly executed plan. I still think I'll have SCIV by week's end.

And I'll have 300 Goozex points to spend on another game or two.

Edit: I have officially ordered a copy of SCIV.

Last edited:
Psst.

My copy of the game was delivered today.

Yay. :D
Huzzah! Send me a message any time you see me on and, if I'm not playing Puzzle Fighter with my wife, chances are good I'll join you for a match or two (or several more).

I have to unlock characters?! WHAT IS THIS?!

It's been a long time since I played SCIV on 360, so I totally forgot about having to unlock the characters. Unlocking custom stuff and aesthetics is annoying, but I guess I can live with it. Unlocking basic characters... well... that bugs me. Also... another five bucks to get Yoda?

Honestly... I probably won't get Yoda. Star Wars nerd or no, I didn't really enjoy playing as him.

Anyway! I will definitely keep an eye open for you. Been wanting to get some of that Puzzle Fighter in, too, but just haven't had good timing yet.

On the positive side of things: I'm enjoying the game again. I'm all about Mitsurugi still, but I don't find that something to complain about. A few quick moves to offset his otherwise powerhouse approach... not too mention my favorite looks on a stock fighter. Yep. He's my main for the foreseeable future.

Also, I find SCIV a good compliment to T6. Despite both being Namco games and 3D fighters, they're worlds apart in execution. I'm glad I have both. If you're loving SCIV, I'd recommend keeping an eye open for T6 in a budget bin.

Last edited:
I have to unlock characters?! WHAT IS THIS?!

It's been a long time since I played SCIV on 360, so I totally forgot about having to unlock the characters. Unlocking custom stuff and aesthetics is annoying, but I guess I can live with it. Unlocking basic characters... well... that bugs me.
/agree

But, fortunately, unlocking characters is easy enough in SCIV.

Here's the relevant info, straight from GameFAQs:
Here are the characters that you can unlock. Some of them are available
from the start and need to be purchased with Gold, while others have to be
fought in Story Mode (or in one case Arcade Mode) in order to unlock them.
There are eighteen unlockable characters; the eleven that must be bought,
Algol, The Apprentice, and the five special characters who are grouped
together in the top right corner of the character selection screen, in the
black space marked with a star.

These are characters you have to purchase with Gold.

Lizardman------4000 Gold
Sophitia-------4000 Gold
Amy------------4000 Gold
Setsuka--------4000 Gold
Yun-Seong------4000 Gold
Seong Mi-Na----4000 Gold
Rock-----------4000 Gold
Cervantes------4000 Gold
Talim----------4000 Gold
Yoshimitsu-----4000 Gold
Zasalamel------4000 Gold

Here are the ones you have to fight to unlock, and the characters you
could play as to get into a fight with them.

To Unlock Shura
Play Story Mode as: Raphael, Taki, Seong Mi-Na, Kamikirimusi, Setsuka, Ivy,
Cervantes.

To Unlock Ashlotte
Play Story Mode as: Maxi, Sophitia, Lizardman, Astaroth, Rock, Angol Fear,
Talim.

To Unlock Kamikirimusi
Play Story Mode as: Yun-Seong, Amy, Tira, Shura, Mitsurugi, Cassandra,
Xianghua.

To Unlock Scheherazade
Play Story Mode as: Hilde, Nightmare, Yoda, Siegfried, Ashlotte, Voldo,
Yoshimitsu.

To Unlock The Apprentice [@U]
Clear Arcade Mode as: Yoda (X360) or Darth Vader (PS3).

To Unlock Angol Fear
Play Story Mode as: Scheherazade, Kilik, Algol, The Apprentice, Zasalamel.

To Unlock Algol
Play Story Mode as: Sophitia, Kilik, Seong Mi-Na, Scheherazade, Setsuka,
Astaroth, Rock, Angol Fear, Kamikirimusi, Ashlotte, Cervantes, Yoshimitsu,
Zasalamel, Talim, [@U]{Yoda, Vader, The Apprentice, Cassandra, Mitsurugi}.
I have nearly all the unlockable characters unlocked after finishing Store mode with Xianghua and Talim (or was it Taki?) and spending most (though not all) of my gold.

Also... another five bucks to get Yoda?

Honestly... I probably won't get Yoda. Star Wars nerd or no, I didn't really enjoy playing as him.
Same. He's considered a cheese character anyway. I'd rather get Vader as a pack-in character than Yoda (though I still stick to my Main Three: Xianghua, Talim, and Taki).

Anyway! I will definitely keep an eye open for you. Been wanting to get some of that Puzzle Fighter in, too, but just haven't had good timing yet.
w00t, Puzzle Fighter! It's a rare game where I'm confident in my skills, but SPF2T definitely falls into that (tiny) category.

Also, I find SCIV a good compliment to T6. Despite both being Namco games and 3D fighters, they're worlds apart in execution. I'm glad I have both. If you're loving SCIV, I'd recommend keeping an eye open for T6 in a budget bin.
I liked the other Tekken games I played, so I'd definitely be interested in picking it up on the cheap.

I have officially unlocked all the characters. Still had a couple of them (Shura and Ashlotte) left in my last post. They're all in play now.

Story mode is weird. Forgot how out there the story is. Played... uh... Angol Fear's story earlier to unlock Ashlotte. Definitely bizarre.

And yeah, Tek, I think you'll get Tekken cheap enough before long. :p

...I don't know who to use. And Omega's Yoda is borked.

Thinking Kilik...

Use the Force, you must. :p

Mitsurugi is still my favorite. May create a character based on Setsuka, though. I like the whole SWORD FROM NOWHERE thing. We'll see.

Use the Force, you must. :p

Mitsurugi is still my favorite. May create a character based on Setsuka, though. I like the whole SWORD FROM NOWHERE thing. We'll see.
When it comes to fighting games, any character that uses an umbrella as a weapon is in my lineup. I used to rock Samurai Shodown IV as Shizumaru Hisame. (He was my alt; Rimururu was my main.)

Just played some matches with Omega. Good times. Lost most of the matches, but I'm alright with that. I kept trying to play the game like it was Tekken. That didn't help. At all.

Netcode is imperfect, though. Even with having four bars, it felt chuggish at times.

But good games nevertheless. :)

Still favoring Mitsurugi, though.

...I don't know who to use. And Omega's Yoda is borked.
I was trolling.

In Soul Calibur, tiny is overpowered since tiny cannot be grabbed and most attacks will wiff on them.

I won't use Yoda ag-
Keero said:
Thinking Kilik...
Yoda for you, then.

(I kid.)

Kendrik said:
Netcode is imperfect, though. Even with having four bars, it felt chuggish at times.
Yeah, SCIV, like most Japanese-developed fighting games, was developed with only the low-latency fiber optic internet backbone in Japan to test against. So, it is okay to sluggish here in North America.

It's been a year since I played this. So a lot rust coming off for me. I tend to rotate between Setsuka, Ivy, and Talim.

Last edited:
It's been a year since I played this. So a lot rust coming off for me. I tend to rotate between Setsuka, Ivy, and Talim.
That explains my couple of wins. I's like "no chance will I win any matches, but I gotta try." Then again, you still destroyed me overall.

I keep jumping around in fighting games. I played Tekken for a good while earlier. Played an MvC2 set with a friend before that. In the last couple of days, I've played a bit of BlazBlue and Super SFIV, too. Fundamentals carry over from game to game, but the technical differences are astounding.

And pressing back in SCIV does not block. I ate way too much damage acting as if it did.

We're gonna have to get a lobby running sometime soon. There are at least four of us who own the game. Would be awesome.

Oh. Out of curiosity, what do you use for a control scheme? Mine looks something like (using SCIV notation)...

A B K x
G x x x

...just wondering what you use.

I keep jumping around in fighting games. I played Tekken for a good while earlier. Played an MvC2 set with a friend before that. In the last couple of days, I've played a bit of BlazBlue and Super SFIV, too. Fundamentals carry over from game to game, but the technical differences are astounding.
I am similar in playing habits. SNK has a special place in my heart, but I tend to like all fighting games in general.
Kendrik said:
And pressing back in SCIV does not block. I ate way too much damage acting as if it did.
SCIV is hard to block since every move is fast and the animation is very deceptive as to whether it will register as high/mid/low. That and the lag does not help when you try to guard impact.
Kendrik said:
We're gonna have to get a lobby running sometime soon. There are at least four of us who own the game. Would be awesome.
Agreed. I would like to have a fighting game lobby night regularly happen and even rotate between games.

Kendrik said:
Oh. Out of curiosity, what do you use for a control scheme? Mine looks something like (using SCIV notation)...

A B K x
G x x x

...just wondering what you use.
That's what I use, typical 4-button joystick layout.

Back