Sorrow's Furnace Discussion

astrod00d

So what do you guys think of the new content? For those who haven't made it in yet, there is an outpost between Camp Rankor and Granite Citadel called Deldrimor War Camp (I think that's what it's called). It's in the Grenth's Footprint zone. There are tons of baddies around this outpost and pretty close to it is the entrance to Sorrow's Furnace. I've completed the 'High Priest' quest. It was very tough. It requires a while to complete and takes good teamwork with a balanced group. If the rest are like this one, these are going to be some tough quests to complete for most people. I was lucky and did it with a decent PUG on the first try. The new chests are something that I don't think I like. You have to have a key from that area to open these chests. Keys will drop from monsters from time to time but otherwise you can buy them from a merchant. The keys in the War Camp cost a whopping 600gp. I bought 2 of them and went on the quest. I came across 2 chests and used my keys on them. The items I got were rare items but they didn't come close to being worth 600gp each. I lost about 900gp after selling the items to the merchant. I'm sure that sometimes you'll get something uber out of them but it's probably gonna be more beneficial to farm the bosses in the area and just use keys that drop for you. There's also a Miner's Key that you can buy from the merchant but I have no idea what you do with it. Please add your experiences in these new areas as well.

My quick thoughts of SF....

- The chest key idea is great! The price of keys isn't great, but they will go down.
- Grenth's Footprint is way too small.
- Sorrow's Furnace is way better than I expected, very large, great new mobs, and the landscape is wonderful!
- The overall update was way better than expected, I love the continuation of the story.
- Green items look cool, but I haven't got one yet.
- I noticed that the frog talked about new armor, but I haven't seen any yet.

yeah, i agree with Silver, grenth's footpath is pretty small, but it was still fun to explore. I had also heard about the new armour, so hopefully we will get to see some new armour pretty soon. All in all i was very impressed with all the additions, and we got it all for free! :)

I do like the addition of a key-chest system so everyone can get uncommon/rare items. I like the atmosphere and look of SF, very cool. I haven't gone questing too much yet in SF, but I did buy a green monk item for only 20k, a real steal, just ask Sydney Ablaze. :D
And if all this content was free, imagine how much better, hopefully, a paid for expansion will be!

I dislike the key-chest idea. Although it sounded good to me at the start I am tired of paying 600-700 per key to get a 300 item. I lost quite a bit of gp until I just quit buying keys. If one drops (I have only seen this once) THEN I will use the key......but I have bought my last one.

I noted in another forum today where somone said that green items cannot be upgraded. Hafts, pommels, hilts, heads, etc. will not work on green items. Can anyone confirm this?

I am still up in the air on the chests/keys. At first I was excited, then quickly hated it (as I kept losing money in the deal), then the other night I got a sweet item, so I don't know.

I now have a love/hate relationship with Quantum Man, this guy always has some sweet new loot that I am totally drooling over and jealous about. hahaha I agree with him that if this is the free content, wow I can't wait for the expansion.

The green items are named for their bosses that drop them, they seen to always have "perfect" stats.. For example if haft of enchanting can be from 1-20% it will be 20% on a green item every time. Since these items already have built in upgrades they cannot be Salvaged or added to. The green items use new cool graphics as Silver pointed out.

And if the Monk Yakslapper drops his Yakslapper for you, I will make you a great offer for it! mauhahaha

Little advice, now your weapon upgrades of dwarfslaying are worth something eh? Lots of dwarfs to kill in SF.

Quantum_Man said:
I do like the addition of a key-chest system so everyone can get uncommon/rare items. I like the atmosphere and look of SF, very cool. I haven't gone questing too much yet in SF, but I did buy a green monk item for only 20k, a real steal, just ask Sydney Ablaze. :D
And if all this content was free, imagine how much better, hopefully, a paid for expansion will be!

BEsides the fact that you have to pay?

I've been wondering...

When you use a scroll, is that an 'enchantment'? If so, using Hero's Insight with enchanted weapons would give you that 'while enchanted' bonus for 10 minutes without it ever being interrupted! Just popped into my head and I want to see if anyone knows the answer.

Good question. I don't think so. It probably operates like "Cleansed" from when you carry around that great burning eye, and I'm pretty sure it is not an enchant. If it were, it could be shattered.

An enchantment is able to be stripped or shattered. So if the scroll can't have that done to it, it can't be an enchantment.

Just a note on the keys... they drop from anything, not just bosses. Had a key drop off a normal scarab in one of the desert zones last night and was quite shocked. The item I got from a chest in that same zone was almost worthless though (under 100 gp from the merchant). I used to love running around opening chests in zones, oh well.

Well, you're not the only noob around here, because I wanted to know that too. :cool:

:eek: HEY!!! I'M the noob around here, buster! :mad:

Yes. Farming is the idea of running around looking for loot. Personally, as long as my characters are well-outfitted with good armor and decent weapons, I'm fine, so I don't really farm that much.

For sure there are many negative things about farming. Farming tends to make people greedy and also impatient when players, who are new the zone, make mistakes.

But, There are some cool things about farming a zone. You really get to know it well. You learn all the routes a patrol will take, the best paths around groups, where to pull to, and where to engage. There are many intricacies to each zone that you would never see if you only run through, or quest and fight a few time in it. After you have spent 30+ farming trips down the same path, you get this cool feeling of confidence and familiarity with the level. Things start to fall into place like clockwork. Then you can start enjoying the scenery you never noticed before as you look for your landmarks. Of course you get some good drops and make some cash as well.

I am not speaking against anything said here, just adding my thoughts. :) Ultimately my idea is to enjoy the game and try the cool things you can do with it.

Back