Something to Think on

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
Hebrews 12:1-3

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (NIV)

I would like to know who is your number two model in your life, Jesus the Messiah should obviously be number one. Is there someone in history, or in recent times that encourages you to live a more Christ like life? It can be a Catholic saint (an odd concept for sure, but we won't go there) such as St Brendan, a missionary like Amy Carmichaell or Pere Marquette. Famous like Martin Niemoller or Billy Graham, or someone close to you who is unknown by most people. Who is this person and why do they cause you to want to be more holy and and Christ like? Not to put them on a pedestal as a "Super Christian", but someone who bears the Christ like image so much that you strive for that Christ like image yourself. I'm curious, and would like to know what you see in others. And yes I know the Scripture reference is slightly out of context.

Last edited:
Two that come to mind immediately are Vernon Grounds - past President of Denver Seminary, and Donald Burdick - Greek professor and editor of the New Testament in the NIV Study Bible. Both have passed away now - but both were my mentors and models of Christ.

This is one tough question, and I thought first of Elisabeth Elliot and Rachel Saint, then chewed on the thought of J.T. Seamonds. But the one person who has affected my life most is General William Booth founder of The Salvation Army. "Heart to God, hand to man" was the motto of The Salvation Army for years, and is best seen in this quote from General William Booth in his later years:

While women weep, as they do now, I'll fight; while children go hungry, as they do now I'll fight; while men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now, I'll fight; while there is a drunkard left, while there is a poor lost girl upon the streets, while there remains one dark soul without the light of God, I'll fight, I'll fight to the very end!”

How could a Christian not be inspired to do his best for Christ looking at this quote? It gives me hope that God can still use me in some small way to further His Kingdom, despite all of my flaws and failures.

If I had to choose someone in the hear and now it would be Paul Washer. Look him up on youtube - he has many a good message there.

If I had to choose someone in the hear and now it would be Paul Washer. Look him up on youtube - he has many a good message there.

Heh...sorry to hear that...LOL...Washer speaks the truth (for the most part), but he always seems so angry, and is always yelling...and ever message I hear from him it is: "You are going to hell, you are doing it wrong, you are wrong, you are going to hell, you are going to hell, and guess what, you are going to hell" I used to listen to Washer a lot, until he wouldn't stop telling me I was going to hell... :p

Mine: Pastor Mitch Rees (my grandpa), Francis Chan, and Joyce Meyer...

Last edited:
I would like to know who is your number two model in your life, Jesus the Messiah should obviously be number one. Is there someone in history, or in recent times that encourages you to live a more Christ like life? It can be a Catholic saint (an odd concept for sure, but we won't go there) such as St Brendan, a missionary like Amy Carmichaell or Pere Marquette. Famous like Martin Niemoller or Billy Graham, or someone close to you who is unknown by most people. Who is this person and why do they cause you to want to be more holy and and Christ like? Not to put them on a pedestal as a "Super Christian", but someone who bears the Christ like image so much that you strive for that Christ like image yourself. I'm curious, and would like to know what you see in others. And yes I know the Scripture reference is slightly out of context.

I am not well read but even if I was I'm certain my obvious answer is my Father. He is certainly not perfect but is honest, hard working, long suffering, loving and has the ability to talk to absolute strangers.

Caleb & Elijah (from the Bible) have always been my heroes since I was a young'in.
Both had the faith to trust God in what he said, and also the intestinal fortitude to do what needed to be done.​

If you were talking about the person that has directly touched me, Arnold Murray has influenced me beyond words.

Heh...sorry to hear that...LOL...Washer speaks the truth (for the most part), but he always seems so angry, and is always yelling...and ever message I hear from him it is: "You are going to hell, you are doing it wrong, you are wrong, you are going to hell, you are going to hell, and guess what, you are going to hell" I used to listen to Washer a lot, until he wouldn't stop telling me I was going to hell... :p

I never heard of him before, but he's my hero now. :cool:

Back