So what's it all about?

Shagz

So I heard Kranaic (ne Landslide) and Killerah going on about Guild Wars during UT2004 practice, and I was intrigued to see what all the hub bub is about. I've never gotten into the "massive" genre (not big on monthly fees, long gaming hours, running from one country to another, or level grinding), and I've usually tired of RPGs in the past after going up a few levels (I'm speaking console style RPGs, not PC style) - just got tedious after a while, lost interest in the story, the game play wasn't interesting enough to bring me back and pour in the hours required to complete the game. The only two RPGs I ever played to completion were the first Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem on the GBA (and that was more 'cuz of the strategy than the RPG I think, but the story was really good too). I digress...

But this game promises to "fix" all the things wrong with the MMORPG genre, it looks slick, etc. etc. and there's no monthly fee, which is pretty attractive.

So what's the big deal?

From what I've been reading, there seems to be a change in focus for this game that makes it different from other RPGs. It's more of a "competitive" RPG (they keep using that word) - player-vs-player plays a big part I'm guessing? - and leveling isn't as important as skill gathering and selection/timing of their use. Is there a strategic element at all in the game? Or is it more Diablo/Dungeon Seige "click 'n slash"?

I also hear that the game is best played in a group rather than soloing...opinions?

I'm also interested in the Monk profession - I've been looking for a good martial arts RPG, something I can get into and bust kung fu moves and such. Any one playing a Monk? Is it what I think it is, or should I forget it and go check out Jade Empire?

Thanks for the info guys!

Good questions.

The biggest differences between traditional console RPGs and Guild Wars are the community and the flexibility. In traditional RPGs, like FF I through X-2, you play, you see the storyline through cutscenes, you level, and you complete the game after anywhere from 30-80 hours of gameplay... then you trade it in.

In GW, the game really begins after you play through the storyline and reach max level. At that point, it turns into a fantasy style team based combat game with certain MMORPG elements.

Traditional MMOs had a storyline, but it would take months or years to go through. The reason wasn't because the storyline actually lasted that long, but more because it took FOREVER to do anything. For example, there was one "epic" mission in EQ a friend was telling me about... it took an entire guild of 64 people 6 hours to get one item for one person... then they'd have to do it again for each person (so, about 2 months straight of 6 hours a day doing the same quest over and over). The item they each got was so that everyone could START the quest. The actual quest was much longer (but could be done individually).

Certainly, these side quests were optional-- but with there being no "ending" to the game per se, the goal of the MMO became "to get as 1337 as possible", and the items obtained became in-game status symbols; if you didn't have them, you would be laughed at by 1337ists, who generally dominate these types of games. Thus, it became more of a contest to see who could waste more time getting the uber items rather than who could actually play the best.

In GW, there are no "uber" items, so no one is going to be automatically better than someone else simply because they can afford to spend 12 hours a day online. With everyone virtually the same at max level, it becomes a contest of skill, not time. With no monthly fee, GW staff has no reason to want quests to take forever, so it's easier for the casual gamer to sit down and play for an hour.

Also, about the Monk profession... the Monk is the healer. There really aren't any martial arts skills in-game. If you're looking for a melee combat type, a Warrior/Monk is a great choice because you can use a variety of weapons, and you can do a limited amount of healing.

I'm sure others will be able to add to this, but that's really all I have time for right now.

Last edited:
Yes PvP is a big part of the game, rather then grinding to max lvl....the games only been out for 6 days and I have already reached the level cap of 20 =) after that its just going out and getting skills(if you want them) Normally pvp is played with a group, you can do 1v1 but thats not that fun anyways ;) And yes skill gathering and the selection of those skills are important cause out of all the skills you get, you can only have 8 equiped at a time and you cant change them while you are fighting.

Also, to add to the group thing. practically ALL of the primary missions are cooperative missions so you have to do them in a group, be it with actuall people or the npcs that the game provides.

It sounds like you would love GW based on what you said you don't typically like in MMORPG's. I am not a big fan of them, in fact this is the only one that I think is worth spending your time on, and you can do it at your convenience because it doesn't have a monthly fee. That is really handy during times, when you may not have the time to play. You can decide not to play for a month and go straight back to it and not worry about anything I love that aspect and the game rocks. Its the best rpg of any sort i have played this year hands down.

So, if I were to think of this in non-massive RPG terms, could it be said that there's a "single player campaign" that you actually play online (and can play as co-op if you so choose), and then the PVP stuff is like a "multiplayer" component?

So the game is "beatable" in that you complete the single player campaign (4 times if you want since you can have 4 different characters for each account, right?) and max out at lvl 20, and then after that the replay value is in the social aspects and the group multiplayer battles, yea? Or finding new skills and skill combinations in battle? Or are quests always forever unlocking or being randomly generated?

And we keep talking about "skill" here as being important to PVP battles...what exactly does that mean? I've heard that the combat system is tactical, not click target and watch the pretty colours as your attack animations unfold.

Just how long is the single player campaign? B-man, did you beat it in 6 days or just leveled up to 20 in 6 days?

That's too bad with the Monk class, I saw a screenshot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars/screens.html?page=165) that gave me the hope that I might finally have my martial artist, but I guess not. And I've heard the warrior-monk cross profession is more like being a "Paladin". Yea, it's semantics, but Paladin brings to mind "lawful-good medieval night", not kung fu whirling dirvish. But I guess that doesn't matter 'cuz I could make my Paladin look like the Monk in the screen shot if I wanted, yea?

by skill it means using skills that u erned in combo with the right moves and knowing when to use them when you should

btw if you go out in a party make sure you have a healer who knows what he/she is doing.

Shagz said:
So, if I were to think of this in non-massive RPG terms, could it be said that there's a "single player campaign" that you actually play online (and can play as co-op if you so choose), and then the PVP stuff is like a "multiplayer" component?

The game is geared to playing with people not by yourself. Sure, there are side quests that you could do by yourself but the main quests that take you through the storyline are played with other people but if you dont want to play with people then you can use the npc characters that are provided.

So the game is "beatable" in that you complete the single player campaign (4 times if you want since you can have 4 different characters for each account, right?) and max out at lvl 20, and then after that the replay value is in the social aspects and the group multiplayer battles, yea? Or finding new skills and skill combinations in battle? Or are quests always forever unlocking or being randomly generated?

after you reach the lvl cap the only thing really to do get more skills, find out which skills work best with each other, and use those skills in pvp.

And we keep talking about "skill" here as being important to PVP battles...what exactly does that mean? I've heard that the combat system is tactical, not click target and watch the pretty colours as your attack animations unfold.

what i mean by skill is a players skill, the best player in the game wont be the one who has the best weapons but the one who can find the best skill combinations to take out your opponents.

Just how long is the single player campaign? B-man, did you beat it in 6 days or just leveled up to 20 in 6 days?

Im not sure how long it is cause i havent beaten it yet. And it just took me 6 days to reach the lvl cap

But I guess that doesn't matter 'cuz I could make my Paladin look like the Monk in the screen shot if I wanted, yea?

No, you cant. The armor that you can wear reflects your primary class. So if you wanted the monks armor...then your primary class would have to be a monk.

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
However, you could create a Mo/Wa, load it up with swordsmanship abilities, and have a Samurai looking character.
You would however have wimpy armor in exchange for a ton of engery.... you would also lose the ability of strength in exchange for divine favor.

Back