So uh, Naxx 10 anyone?

i would agree befor the expansion, now days I dont like it I use it as my second spec but I dont see the same dps.

According to a recent blue post, Arcane is higher DPS than fire, but runs out of mana. It can also be played in "conserve mana mode" but then it does less DPS than fire.

Mage specs

Frostfire is just barely behind FB/TtW as the best DPS spec at the moment. Frost does surprisingly well...for short fights where you can have 100% WE uptime. The usual progression of specs (and when to switch) is this.

Arcane
-starting out spec
-falls behind at high gear levels because of low crit scaling
-6% hit from talents, making it very "blue and some purple" friendly
-requires careful mana management...gems and evocation on CD, mana pots likely required on longer fights

Frostfire
-3% hit from talents
-Good DPS
-EXCELENT AOE (enough frost talents to make blizzard uber...best DPS rotation for AOE is rank 9 Flamestrike, rank 8 flamestrike, blizzard till DOTs need refreshing...since the two ranks of flamestrike dots stack)
-switch to this spec when you have enough hit on your gear to be hitcapped

FB/TtW
-0% hit from talents
-best DPS for mages atm
-Good AOE, not quite as good as Frostfire, but LB spam becomes comparable, assuming a few LB get to blow up
-requires high item level gear, and is helped immensely by having a Moonkin/Draenei around (4% hit), otherwise the need for high amounts of hit on gear can lower DPS.

All in all, I think most of TF will not see a DPS increase by going with a FB build over FFB. We just don't see the gear to make the spec work. I'm arcane for now, because I can't even make FFB's hit cap, but I'll go FFB/Frost as my dual spec to allow for some PVP fun.

ffb hit is 382 and if a drai in group it is 263, fb/ttw is not as strong as ffb in raiding , never has been sinc ehte exp, it is the beast burst dps which does 1 of 2 things, u are out of mana half way through a fight if u like or u are dead cause u didnt watch aggro. the 172 hit u need for acrance build might be nice and easy to get but u wont beat a ffb mage unless u are very well geared with lots and lots of mana and u know how to play the build well. 1 person who can play it well is Adam, his mage and mine are geared about the same and the dps is about the same, but I would never say that arcane is a better class well maybe aftter 3.2.2 when they fix it for the mana usuage.

Hey guys, it seems that there are some errands that need running tonight. I will try to make the raid, but fill my spot if i'm not there.

With a popular vote of 6-4 in favor we tried Ulduar on the first night. We got FL down on second attempt (had people driving new vehicles). We wiped 3 or 4 times on Razorscale and decided to go back to Naxx. We cleared 2 wings in 1.5 hours and headed back in on Saturday to finish up. Over the course of 3 hours we proceeded to destroy the remaining 2 wings, and Eric destroyed our eardrums with his singing. Saph and Kt were new fights for a couple of people, but the only real issue during the KT fight was Meaghan and I losing connection. Our second attempt went by without a hitch (even Sean stayed alive).

Kim was able to get her first taste of end-game raiding with the guild and Adam ninja'd 7 pieces, 3 of them being T7, for his tank.

We also have 4 or 5 of our regular attendees with a key for EoE. I think that before we head into Ulduar again we should take a night (or partial night after clearing) and poke our heads into the realm of Malygos. It will help with our group coordination and some upgrades over Naxx-10 gear. Since Alan is the head honcho the decision is ultimately his to make but that's my $0.02.

Xinny and I have been talking, and she (and I agree) feels that I am raiding too many evenings a week. Between Pixel and this run, I am currently raiding FIVE evenings in a week. Unfortunately this means that I am going to have to drop out of the Odd Jobs raids (sorry, but I'm not dropping the Pixel runs ;)). If I am around on a Friday or Saturday night, and you guys need heals, I certainly wouldn't mind pitching in.

I have discussed this with Jason Squitz, and he feels confident that he can take over running this successful group. With that, I hand over the reins to him!

[7F]LarryBoy;351713 said:
Xinny and I have been talking, and she (and I agree) feels that I am raiding too many evenings a week. Between Pixel and this run, I am currently raiding FIVE evenings in a week. Unfortunately this means that I am going to have to drop out of the Odd Jobs raids (sorry, but I'm not dropping the Pixel runs ;)). If I am around on a Friday or Saturday night, and you guys need heals, I certainly wouldn't mind pitching in.

I have discussed this with Jason Squitz, and he feels confident that he can take over running this successful group. With that, I hand over the reins to him!

Thanks for letting us know. Good luck to you Alan and have fun! On that note, my wife Kim is interested in making the Naxx runs if we have open spots =-).

After September 4/5th, I am going to have to drop off the radar for a couple of months. I have some pre-requisits to get out of the way before I apply for my Master's in December. Between that and my Job, my WoW time is non-existent for a bit. Sry guys.

Since I am offically taking over I can now RULE WITH AN IRON FIST!! (unless Anita tells me not to). As I mentioned in an earlier post we are clearing Naxx regularly in less than our 6 hrs/week. With the extra time on our second night I would like to head into some other fights before we try Ulduar again. The two I want to do are VoA and EoE. In Vault, Emalon is an Ulduar lvl boss, with a bit of complexity. Jason and I recently tanked 25-man Vault with the SGA successfully, so I think our group should be able to down him. IF we can get him down easily it means we are more rdy to take on Ulduar bosses (gear wise). Malygos in EoE will help our group become more coordinated as we have to move through 3 phases to take him down.

Since VoA is dependant on control of Wintergrasp we are more likely to be in EoE this weekend. If you are planning on being with the run this weekend and are able to look at strategies for the Malygos fight that's cool, if not thats fine. What would be better is if you can do the "Aces High" quest in Coldarra. The drake that you use for the quest has the same abilites as the drakes inside EoE for phase 3.

I would buy Jason being ruled by the iron fist of Meaghan :)

In regards to the run tonight (Aug 29), I will not be able to attend. I will of course be able to continue attending future runs.

Sean (Keymasher)

See now here's the thing John, I am no longer the only Jason in the guild. It makes for some fun, but confusing runs sometimes. Also we both tank, so it's even more fun.

This coming Friday (Sept 4) I am working until 9:00 pm. We can either start a bit later, around 9:30, or Jason and Sean can handle invites and start clearing without me. I am fine with either way.

I was quite pleased with our progress this week. We did get into EoE and had one attempt on Malygos. We got into phase 2 despite a few errors (some noob DK didn't switch gear or anything to be DPSing) but lost to his enrage timer in phase 2. Went very well considering it was the first time seeing the fight for about half the raid. We also have one or two spots available if people would like to join as regular attendees.

Back