small upcoming outage

Hescominsoon

CGA\TOJ Hosting Manager
I am going to be doing a hardware upgrade to the webserver that powers the site tomorrow at noon to about 2pm. i am switching the server form hard drives to SSD's. This came together at the last minute so i apologize for the short notice.

William Warren

I am going to be doing a hardware upgrade to the webserver that powers the site tomorrow at noon to about 2pm. i am switching the server form hard drives to SSD's. This came together at the last minute so i apologize for the short notice.

William Warren
Eastern time?

First HCS changes his avatar icon and now server outage AHH! THINGS HAPPENING! PANIC! :p but seriously thanks for the 411 HCS. Can we expect any noticeable changes on our end? Faster search times, load times, etc? Not that the website doesn't already work great mind you :D .

Ok that was a fun ride.

this turned out to be a big issue:

first it was this:
Well it was going to be a simple SSD upgrade and my Data Center gave me a deal I could not Pass up. The previous server had 8 cpus and 16 gigs of ram on dual HDD's in raid 1. This new machine has 12 cpus with 24 threads, 64 gigs of ram and the dual 500 gig SSD's i was going to put into the old server. I was going to build up my r610 and colo it..however this new server is basically the same machine I was going to colo...and i got it for the same price as the now decommed server.

Then it turns out the server had been loaded witht he latest server edition from ubuntu..except that was the LIVE version...which is a new default because they used to make the text instlaler the default downloader. After a couple of hours of running the new server bombed out. It turns out the initial timezone was set to utc and when it updated to EDT all of the ssl certs become invalid..and that took everything offline. The new default download of Ubuntu 18.04 is the LIVE version for server, something I didn't realize. I will be reloading the server from scratch with the non-live version now.
glad i know the command line. I had to go remove all configs and ssl certs out of the machine form all server modules. I was able to get things wokring agin and i am now restoring from backups...it will be about an hour before everything is running again. the forum are back..i am going domain by domain aplhabeticlaly..:)

oh the last time i had to restore cga it took 20 minutes just for the database. This time the entire account was restored in less than 8..:)

Thank you very much for your time and service, sir!

Back