Slicing nerfed!

Deamiter

I guess I was hoping it'd last a bit longer, but I'm glad the massive inflation has been curbed.

Now I can pivot to a more useful crew skill and develop my biochem and cybernetics without feeling guilty!

I must have not gotten far enough into it, because it didn't seem out of balance to me. Making maybe 300-1000c on a half hour mission? The occasional 300-500c lockbox out in the world? Didn't seem too overpowered to me. Maybe I'll just drop it entirely now and start up UW Trading.

These numbers are what I was getting as a level 300+ slicer at level 28.

EDIT: OH, from reading the forums it sounds like they nerfed the amount of rich and abundant lower level missions. I think I am ok with that. Most other professions outlevel their low level missions, but you never really outlevel credits.

Last edited:
Yeah, the worst part was that you could level to 400 and get ridiculous yields while under level 20. Many of us got 100k credits before we got anywhere close to buying a speeder -- kinda defeating the "save for the speeder" goal and pretty clearly driving up prices for all lower-level goods.

Really, I figured they'd require a comparable level to run higher-level slicing missions (so credits gained stays nearer to a toon's level) but it sounds like they want lower level toons to be good crafters.

Yeah, not having crafting tiers tied to level confuses me. There is no reason a level 1 character should be able to craft endgame items with financial support from my main.

It needed nerfed. When I drop a skill leveled to 120 to pick up slicing and start over, that's proof. Slicing is instant profit, whereas the other crafting you have to go sell on the AH. With the AH deposits being insanely high and the likely chance that it won't sell, you're screwed. My only regret is starting slicing a day before a nerf...So I'm sure I brought this on everyone.

It needed nerfed. When I drop a skill leveled to 120 to pick up slicing and start over, that's proof. Slicing is instant profit, whereas the other crafting you have to go sell on the AH. With the AH deposits being insanely high and the likely chance that it won't sell, you're screwed. My only regret is starting slicing a day before a nerf...So I'm sure I brought this on everyone.

I see. I guess I just assumed that all gathering professions were profit, and that slicing just allowed you to skip the step of having to sell on the GTN. This really appealed to me, since the GTN interface is terrible.

I see. I guess I just assumed that all gathering professions were profit, and that slicing just allowed you to skip the step of having to sell on the GTN. This really appealed to me, since the GTN interface is terrible.

Couldn't agree more. When Ewok told me that he had over $100k in credits before level 20 and that was mainly from slicing, that told me that it's totally OP.

Yesterday was the first day I actually had stuff selling on the auction, but the deposits 10% or more of the value...INSANITY. If they are going to charge that much they better make the UI better!!

Couldn't agree more. When Ewok told me that he had over $100k in credits before level 20 and that was mainly from slicing, that told me that it's totally OP.

Yesterday was the first day I actually had stuff selling on the auction, but the deposits 10% or more of the value...INSANITY. If they are going to charge that much they better make the UI better!!

I heard you get that back if the item doesn't sell? I wouldn't know for sure though, I have yet to sell anything.

Yeah, you do get your deposit back if it doesn't sell, so it's not too bad. I've sold a fair amount of quest greens and Synthweaving items on the GTN, and while it's not slicing level income, it's not bad either.

Yeah, not having crafting tiers tied to level confuses me. There is no reason a level 1 character should be able to craft endgame items with financial support from my main.

A level 1 couldn't, because you can't use crew skills until you have a companion. Even once you had one companion it would take FOREVER to level up your crew skills with just that one companion. I can understand why they didn't think it necessary to have restrictions. That said, I still agree that there should have been SOME restrictions. No one should be capping any crew skill before they reach level 40 at least, in my opinion.

Anyone care to explain to me what this nerf is? I read the patch notes but they didnt make sense to me.

I seem to understand that medium boxs will have a bit less credits in them?

BUT its going to still work the same?

Well the nerf is more like a total castration! I totally understand the need to bring it more inline, they did that 3 different times in Beta and it was STILL making too much money. However, now the skill feels worthless. You can no longer make a profit from mission lockboxes.

Before the key was to ONLY do lock boxes that were in the middle 2 tiers. The last two were not worth the time/money. Also you ONLY did rich or bountiful. If one was not available you wiped the slate with a quick 3 min mission from tier 1. If you did this you easily made 10,000 credits an hour usually quite a bit more. At level 22 I think I netted around 250,000 credits from slicing. (so glad I got my nest egg before the neuter.)

Now the rich/bounty from mid levels can give you a loss instead of a guaranteed nice profit. It is pretty brutal. As it stands the skill is now only good for actually gathering the nodes and the augments, that really don't sell well.

I am going to keep my 400 slicing till I see if they plan to rebuff it, the outrage is very heavy right now and so far they have catered to this level of wining. From reading what Bioware posters have been putting on forums it looks like they know they nerfed it too hard and will buff it back up slightly.

Last edited:
So tell me why you guys think there should be this arbitrary marrying of adventure level and crafting level?

EQ2 allowed you to have a max level crafter on a level 1 adventure toon. I thought it was brilliant that they gave you more options in a MMO. What if I LOVE crafting and want one of every crafter and want to spend my $15/month only crafting? Why oh why should I have to PvE to 50 on each toon?!? (EQ2 crafting is brilliant by the way and I know some people make a living off of it.)

More options = win. Is there any negatives in allowing crafting levels to be free from adventure restraints?

So tell me why you guys think there should be this arbitrary marrying of adventure level and crafting level?

EQ2 allowed you to have a max level crafter on a level 1 adventure toon. I thought it was brilliant that they gave you more options in a MMO. What if I LOVE crafting and want one of every crafter and want to spend my $15/month only crafting? Why oh why should I have to PvE to 50 on each toon?!? (EQ2 crafting is brilliant by the way and I know some people make a living off of it.)

More options = win. Is there any negatives in allowing crafting levels to be free from adventure restraints?

agreed... EQ2 had the best crafting systems of any MMO I've played.

For most professions I'd be fine with it, but when you are talking about something like slicing I no longer think it's ok for you to be able to level it that fast. People who are playing their first character should not be sitting on hundreds of thousands of credits at level 20. That's just wrong.

For most professions I'd be fine with it, but when you are talking about something like slicing I no longer think it's ok for you to be able to level it that fast. People who are playing their first character should not be sitting on hundreds of thousands of credits at level 20. That's just wrong.

Yes and no... if it is as easy as Slicing was then yes, but if they are crafting and selling it on the AH I would not agree...

Star Wars Galaxies back in the day was the best crafting imo. Just about everything was 100% player made, yeah gg :)

Well that is due to the brokeness that was slicing at launch. It was clearly detailed that this was an issue in Beta. I am not sure why they took till the first patch to fix it, but at least they did right away.

As it stands slicing is now just a gathering profession and the missions are just for leveling it up. This might be what they had intended but it is certainly not what it was at launch (a fantastic afk farming tool)

I still dont think that PvE level should matter in regard to wealth. Why is a level 1 with 1mill a bad thing compared to a lvl 50? As long as they each put in the hours and dedication to earn that money (broken slicing aside) why should an adventure level dictate how you craft?

Back