Skyrim - oh my

Xandar

THIS is where I have been spending my time lately. I have been a fan of the previous Elder Scroll games, and this one seems to have gotten everything right.

Interesting...my kids weren't too thrilled by it..I may have to borrow my daughter's and play for a bit.

game of the century, the game is beyond phenomenal.

So what am I missing? I got the game (for PC), the mouse is sluggish, combat seems awkward (probably related to the mouse thing), and I just can't get used to the UI.

I want to like this game, because it appears amazing, but I've had it two weeks now without having played it much because of these issues.

Any thoughts? I've completed up through the first dragon kill.

The sluggish mouse caused me much frustration at first, ruining my enjoyment. I chose to downgrade the graphics a tad which resolved the sluggish mouse. Since then, to be honest, I have had a hard time pulling myself away, let alone even thought of WoW or the latest 4.3 patch. There is so much to do, I have only gotten about two steps into the main quest - out of maybe 50 steps to complete it?? not really sure but it has been totally ignored as the diversions are a plenty...

Just joined Thieves guild, and Dark brotherhood - playing a bit of a nasty, stealthy toon, want to replay using an all magic one and another using an full on plate type. Sooo may things to do...

Of course, work and family still come first - as it is with WoW :) but there has been no gaming time available for anything but Skyrim for me at the moment.

I'll be back I know, as there is only so much a static game can offer - but what a ride.

There is a Nvidia guide to tweaking Skyrim that I will find for you. It completely fixes the mouse issue and pumps the graphics while also pumping the FPS. There are a couple good inventory mods that help with the console-port UI/interface.

I guess when I say "game of the century" which really means the best game I have ever played, I mean that about the tweaked and modded version . At first I was very frustrated with the mouse and UI but after about 2-3 hours of tweaking/modding and getting it just right, then 5-10 hours of rerolling to find my class, I actually started to play the game, and then WOW, every session is amazing.

edit: http://uk.geforce.com/optimise/guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide

So what am I missing? I got the game (for PC), the mouse is sluggish, combat seems awkward (probably related to the mouse thing), and I just can't get used to the UI.

I want to like this game, because it appears amazing, but I've had it two weeks now without having played it much because of these issues.

Any thoughts? I've completed up through the first dragon kill.

To echo Ewok...I've concluded that this is probably the best game I have ever played. Yes the UI sux, but let's face it, there will be tons of mods to fix that (and already are). There are a very short list of shortcomings which the story/gameplay/presentation blow away. I'm about 80 hours into this game, I'm level 34 and even STILL every time I fire the game up I'm seeing or doing something were I just go "wow, that is SO cool". No other game has done that for me. Plus, if you like eye candy in a game, no other game is as gorgeous as this (for what it is).

And yes, you want to jump on the mods, they do improve the look and feel of the game. Mods will be substantially easier in January when they roll out the Creation kit.

Last edited:
Since my gametime will soon be full of Star Warsy goodness, I may just wait until after the creation kit, and then work on my setup then.

Another question - is this meant to be played in first person or third person? I prefer third person, playing first person for shooters only.

I'm going to add to this saying it is by far the best game I have ever played. There are bugs but they are easily forgiven with the level immersion. I liked Morrowind but didn't like Oblivion.

I had some mouse lag as well, didn't really bother me or affect my ability to play. A few days ago I found that nVidia tweaking guide and it dramatically increased performance for my game and have no mouse lag or times of low FPS :)

Lvl 35 - having a hard time completing any long quest series because there is SO MUCH AWESOMENESS in between :) I am not sure I really want to estimate the number of hours I have spent (kinda like WoW), but the number is huge. And I REALLY want to roll a new toon to follow a completely different path / style, so ya.

From what I have now seen and read, I really recommend just messing around doing odds and ends until you hit level 32. At this point, the leveled items you receive from questing have their max stats. Before this, they would not.

I have morrowind (All the xpacs) and Oblivion. Have not competed either. The games are so massive I just don't have the time. Good stuff though. There is just so much to do, explore, find, secrets.. I would just get so preoccupied with going on my own and exploring that I never even focused on the main quest..

I love playing this game. Everytime i sit down n play I'm on for about 4-5 hours haha. Best game I have ever played. I bought it for Xbox 360 and it runs great. 3rd person is much better in this game than oblivion. Much easier to use.

Great game. I've got over 3 days played! N I'm lvl 59 now. Love it!!

Well, I made an attempt at advancing the main quest chain yesterday. Four hours later, I had done exactly one main quest step - got distracted by some Daedra quests from a monument in the middle of nowhere, a few ruins, some bandits leading to a Dwarven ruin and another shout etc.

On Morrowind - completed all the way through, including many side quests back in the day. Had to of put in more than 100hrs overall, though i dont really want to know the exact number. Lots of mods kept coming out with new quests etc. No way I found all of the stock side quests but :)

On Oblivion - got the Game of the Year edition this fall for $6 on Steam. Played about 30 hrs, but kept hearing about all the Skyrim goodness and finally broke down and got Skyrim. All in all, 30 hrs of enjoyment for $6 = goodness, so no regrets there.

Xander, I literally spent 6 hours exploring 1 Dwemer city and it was MASSIVE! Got there from a quest chain from Winterhold College. I think I did that Daedra chain also, big statue at the top of a mountain with 1 NPC there?

I think this game is going to hold me until Guild Wars 2 comes out :p After I'm done with my Stormcloak ranger, I'm going to make a mage and go with Imperial :)

Back