Sinning in Video Game

Bleekr

I was thinking about this when playing Assassins Creed. Is stealing and murdering in a video game a sin? Sure you can say hey it's not real people, but aren't you still like participating in evil acts?

Can't think of a better way to word it so I hope you understand.

Edit: Title should have said "Sinning in Video Games"

I would encourage you to check this thread. Th ideas expressed are related to your question.

The short answer? Maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great question! I'm glad you brought this up. Can I add to it?

- Is it a sin to lie or cheat in a board game (like monopoly)?
- Is it sin to lie or cheat in a game like Survivor (TV)?

Side questions on this too..

- How does God feel about doing the above outside of the game?
- What does the above do to our witness if we are playing out these things in a public arena (aka, MMO, Multi-player, or streaming)?
- Does the game give us license to do whatever?

Poker is an interesting example of this. It's a game where deception is rewarded. You don't want to reveal yourself and will gain advantage if you deceive your opponent(s) into thinking you may or may not have something you don't. Should a Christian be honest and not hide his cards? Should he/she show his cards to the other players (e.g., "See, I don't have anything")?

There's an interesting article by Kajos Ministries on this, worth a read...
http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/toying-with-death.htm

Interesting article for sure. I don't believe that fighting/violence in play is wrong. As men, we are prone to fight. To fight and defend our family and country for a just cause is a good thing. It's the context of the violence that matters. Mindless violence (ala, Clockwork Orange) without purpose is bad. I would think from reading this article that the author wouldn't condone sports such as football or karate because of the aggression it displays toward a fellow human.

I was thinking about this when playing Assassins Creed. Is stealing and murdering in a video game a sin? Sure you can say hey it's not real people, but aren't you still like participating in evil acts?

Can't think of a better way to word it so I hope you understand.

Edit: Title should have said "Sinning in Video Games"

TheMonkey agrees that stealing is wrong and against God's commandments because TheMonkey's bible says so. TheMonkey's bible also says that God blesses us with all that we have. Whether it is the ability to do a job that earns us income to buy that banana. If steal TheMonkey's banana, you are stealing a gift from God for yourself.

TheMonkey wonders, what did you steal in the video game? What have you gained at the expense of God? If stealing a digital item is "stealing" then TheMonkey wants to know if you hit the reset button, did you give it back?

TheMonkey is of the opinion that if the game steals time from God, then an issue arises. TheMonkey also thinks what you take from the game is also important. Some people are strong and can separate fantasy from reality. Others might think that stealing is ok if it is from bad guys. TheMonkey thinks there is a real issue with some people and they need to work it out with God.

TheMonkey says:

Don't touch my banana's bro! Just ask, I'll share!

Guild Wars gave me a bit of a problem with their Drunkard Title. When my children were little we encouraged them to never do something in game that they wouldn't do in life, so it has taken me 5 years of playing to decide to do the Drunkard Title. Also it took me 6 months to decide the good, bad, and ugly of playing a Necromancer before creating one. The big question for me to answer in life, and in games is, "Would this action reflect a negative light on my Christian walk and on my Lord and Savior"? And in that each person, and each situation is different. With that thought we start getting into a whole new discussion that I think this thread was not to be at first.

don't think this is an issue specific to video games, remember the good ol game of 'police and thief'?
If you're fantasizing carrying it out though, that's a different matter. I don't know what the 'ideal' situation is, but just saying.

Amazingly, something upon which the Holy See is silent. :(

I don't know, to be honest. But considering it is a game, I think these are good guidelines:

* If generally it accomplishes something sinful in real life, don't do it. For example, stealing someone else's items in a game is the digital equivalent to stealing their time and hard work in real life. The more valuable the items to the player, the worse the sin. (Of course, it is also the job of potential victims to be aware of potential scams or threats to their hard work so they don't get robbed.)

* If the situation of the game is the sort which is conducive to sin, don't play it. War games like MW, Half-Life, and CoD are violent games. The reason for the violence is justifiable and good - we want to prevent the bad guys from taking over the world, and sometimes the only way to do that is by killing them. Grand Theft Auto, on the other hand... is something completely else. Not recommended at all.

Sorry for being so late but since I just had my account approved to post yesterday I think it's understandable. :)

I would submit to you that the answer is a personal one. The Bible makes it clear in Romans 14, that to some people things are allowed and those same things are denied to others if it makes them stumble.

So my answer would be if the actions performed in a game are disturbing you, then you should avoid those games.

Remember that Christ came to give us His perfect peace and a sound (undisturbed) mind.

If something -- even a game -- is robbing you of that peace, then there can be no question that the best course of action would be to cut it off.

Hope that helps,

Be blessed.

Last edited:
I agree with pretty much what everyone says. It's a matter of personal conviction.

For some people, when they play a game like CoD, Assassin's Creed, etc., they may get the influence and urge to take up the reality of what they play. In this particular situation, I would say yes it should be something they should limit/cutoff, if it's as bad as they are saying that it is.

For other people, the intensity of the game could be crazy, but when they get off they know the difference in reality and in fantasy, I don't see any problem with them playing it.

It's all in a matter of personal perspective.

For me, personally, I don't play a lot of shooting games that often mainly because of the realistic influence it can have on me, and parts of my past that I'm not exactly the most proud of. Because of this, I know that if I do play any FPS games that I need to be sure and limit what game I play and how long I play it.

Hope this help!!!

Read Matthew 5 , particularly verse 30
"And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell." NIV

Basically, as Rev. Jim said, if something you are doing is causing you spiritual harm, then STOP doing it. If you continue to do it, it may consume you.

Romans 12 verse 2

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." NIV

Back