Sims 3 On a Laptop

Wh1te Out

Has anyone tried Sims 3 on a non-gaming specific laptop? When running the test on http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest my laptop blows away the minimum requirements. However, the game is supposed to have the same reqs as Sims 2, and I experienced quite a bit of slow down and lag when playing it on a couple-year old Dell desktop.

Soooo... I'm hoping to hear success stories of playing the game on a computer for the average Joe, but I'll take horror stories as well. At least then I can make an informed decision. Thanks!

Dell, eh? Chances are the stock drivers are woefully out-of-date.

What video card are you running in your laptop? nVIDIA-based? ATI-based? Onboard?

Onboard. And the laptop I really am more curious about is a newer (as in early this year) Toshiba. But since it's my wife's, I don't have any specs handy. But like I said, according to the test the onboard graphics are just fine (I just don't believe it).

I wouldn't put 1 ounce of faith into onboard graphics...they can never preform as well as they say...I got a gaming specific onboard graphics in my laptop and it can barely handle WoW, which is an insult...at least it can handle EQ2 (which graphics are very high end) at the lowest setting...

I wouldn't put 1 ounce of faith into onboard graphics...they can never preform as well as they say...I got a gaming specific onboard graphics in my laptop and it can barely handle WoW, which is an insult...at least it can handle EQ2 (which graphics are very high end) at the lowest setting...

Laptops are inherently not designed for performance. Trying to game on a laptop IMO isn't that great of an idea. Running the hardware at nearly 100% will push the heat dissipating capacity of the chassis to the point where it will reduce the lifespan of the hardware. Of course that is ok as you will need to upgrade every year or so in order to struggle along on the latest games with marginal upgrades in mobile graphics performance.

Back