Simon the sorceror

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a Christian, the cut and dried answers: Stay in and live by the Word; bringing fellowship with God, through His knowledge and wisdom.  Pray without ceasing!  Give Him honor and glory for everything in your life.

Simon the Sorcerer.  I searched for him on the internet wanting to see if there was more than the answer I had above.  This troubled me, for there it stated that he was part of the Gnostics and the beginning of that belief.  That is what troubled me most for he was saved. But I think this is speaking of the time before his salvation. His sorcery was mistaken for the power of God before his salvation.  verse 13 of Acts 8 says:

Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

The men and women looked up to him (vs.10 & 11).  Also, I wonder if pride came into play, (vs. 9).  

What I see in this story is a man who was a sorcerer and possibly receiving great financial gain because of it.  As a new Christian he wanted the same power in which he was accustomed.  He simply did not have the knowledge of God to understand that the power of the Holy Spirit was from God.  He was learning and growing!  Keeping our heart right with God is the key to overcome sin.

Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.  Acts 8:21 & 22

Another thing I see is to watch our hearts in ministry, for we are all called to preach the Word.  Am I giving all glory and honor to Him?  Am I using the power given to me to the honor and glory of the LORD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back