SimCity

[toj.cc]phantom;470577 said:
They are also banning Origin accounts for not reporting bugs to them.
/me squints like Fry from Futurama

Not sure if sarcasm or report of actual EA activity...

from beta agreement.
“It is understood and agreed that, as part of your participation in the Beta Program, it is your responsibility to report all known bugs, abuse of ‘bugs’, ‘undocumented features’ or other defects and problems related to the Game and Beta Software to EA as soon as they are found (“Bugs”). If you know about a Bug or have heard about a Bug and fail to report the Bug to EA, we reserve the right to treat you no differently from someone who abuses the Bug. You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

from beta agreement.
/smh

This is why we can't have nice things.

EDIT: Well, that, and the violence fantasy fetish the major game publishers seem unable or unwilling to shake, but hey, that's a topic for another thread.

Last edited:
I saw that the latest SC was coming out a while ago and I was sort of interested, but then after watching a video that explained how the game was going to work I very quickly lost my interest. From what I understand, cities will be nothing like what they were in SC4, or SC3, or in 2000. No terraforming, you're limited to medium maps, a design that equates to the inability to build huge unique cities... I could go on, but I need more ammunition. :p

Honestly the absence terraforming bothers me the most:

SimCity.com said:
Mkareha: Will there be terraforming in the sense of a "god mode" like there was in SimCity 4?

Creative Director Ocean Quigley: No, all of the terraforming in this SimCity is going to be at the civil engineering scale, and will be the natural consequences of laying out roads, developing zones, and plopping buildings.

This decision is So. Incredibly. Stupid! I want the land my cities are situated on to be unique! Not all the same on the perfectly flat plain that might have a river running in another direction. Honestly.

In the past I loved building a massive city, saving it (important), and destroying it with aliens... or meteors... or riots, etc. This latest SimCity is immensely unappealing. They've gone in a new direction (which sometimes is good) and I believe left behind most of the attributes that made SimCity games great. I don't know why they so blatantly left so much out when they could have easily integrated it from the start. Perhaps EA will release a terraforming tool, or more likely, charge for it.

I don't know what they're doing, but it's a shame.

Last edited:
EA, man.

/shrug

/thread

They ruined a great franchise. It was worth the rant!

Anyway I remember seeing a City-Sim on Steam a while back and it's called Cities XL Platinum (would be nice if it wasn't named after a truck). Has anyone played that game? If so, how is it?

Last edited:
Anyway I remember seeing a City-Sim on Steam a while back and it's called Cities XL Platinum (would be nice if it wasn't named after a truck). Has anyone played that game? If so, how is it?

I haven't played it, but some of its former iterations are quite terrible from what I hear because of bugs and crashes. I don't know about the newest release of it that they have.

From what I've read for Cities XL - you can make really nice looking cities, but the simulation is pretty weak. There isn't as much of a game there. It has its flaws, and it takes a bit of work downloading mods, but Sim City 4 is really an incredibly robust engine to create some amazing looking cities with. I guess that main thing is it looks a bit dated now.

In case anyone wants SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition, I found out through Cut-Rate Gamer that Amazon has it for $4.99 right now. That other deal-finder site with a name I won't say in full has a coupon code deal with Amazon right now for 25% off downloadable games. So! I just grabbed the game for $3.74.

Guessin' most of you who would want it already have it, but I thought I'd share just in case you didn't.

Here's a link. I forgot to ask Atown for a link before buying mine, though. :oops:

Watched some broadcasts on Twitch.TV for the game. Honestly didn't woo or offend me. Seemed like they said, "Hey guys, the Sims sells like hotcakes. Remember when we used to make Sim City games? Let's make a new one of those that will appeal to our Sims fanbase."

For now, I'm quite content with my dirt cheap copy of Sim City 4. :D

Do hope EA cleans up their act, though.

...that's probably a bit to hope for. :/

Oh, always-on DRM came back to bite a publisher on the rear end?

Who EVER could have predicted this debacle?

I'm not a vindictive person, but I admit I enjoy watching consumers set to work shredding a company's (albeit already very poor) reputation on Amazon, Metacritic, and other major sites.

People are standing up and making it clear to EA that this sort of nonsense will no longer be tolerated.

/popcorn

It's kinda unfortunate that it turned out this way, because I love city builders. However, after watching twitch streams of the game it actually feels like the facebook city builders with it's limited size and visiting other peoples towns and all that stuff just with more graphics and more server issues.

Actually people are standing up and making it clear this nonsense will no longer be tolerated until it works (Diablo III). Once it works, no one cares.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/simcity-outage/

That's a good portion of the reason why I never went very far with Diablo III. I was looking forward to it for so long and a) it looked like a mod of Diablo II and b) the always on internet connection during solo play made it choppy and nearly unplayable at times (my mmo's work a LOT better than DIII).

I know plenty of people who bought Diablo III or who received it as a gift (such as myself) and rarely ever play it because it's so bad, albeit not because of DRM.

The problem I have with EA isn't necessarily with their DRM (although I still don't like it). My problem lies with their arrogance. "Give us your money for should be a AAA game and be happy with it even though we all know it's actually garbage."

EA is easily the wealthiest gaming company on the face of the earth and all it can churn out is trash (Sims 3: Pets. Really?!).

Actually people are standing up and making it clear this nonsense will no longer be tolerated until it works (Diablo III). Once it works, no one cares.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/simcity-outage/
From your article:

Wired.com said:
...And SimCity is pretty good. The Metacritic user scores might be low, but the reviews from writers who played it before the public got in and overloaded everything were universally positive.
I absolutely refuse to believe that this SimCity is a good game.

Update: Amazon ratings are up to 1.3 out of 5 stars. It seems to me that's about 1.3 stars too many.

Last edited:
Back