Shephard and sheep?

silverleaf

Maybe it isn't really relevant, but it is mentioned over 9000 times we are the sheep and Jesus is the shepherd. Wasn't sheep meat the meat of choice back in the day? So I don't really understand this analogy, if someone can please elaborate on just how this is supposed to make me feel safe? Sure, the shepherd "lays down his life for his sheep" but only because the sheep is his livelihood and if the sheep dies he's gona be outta wool meat and milk. It is probably meant in some other kind of way in the Bible but just wondering.

Maybe it isn't really relevant, but it is mentioned over 9000 times we are the sheep and Jesus is the shepherd. Wasn't sheep meat the meat of choice back in the day? So I don't really understand this analogy, if someone can please elaborate on just how this is supposed to make me feel safe? Sure, the shepherd "lays down his life for his sheep" but only because the sheep is his livelihood and if the sheep dies he's gona be outta wool meat and milk. It is probably meant in some other kind of way in the Bible but just wondering.

1. Shepard would die for their sheep. Jesus would die for us...oh, wait, he did.
2. Sheep and people are very much the same. We don't like doing what we are told, we like doing our own thing and even more, we will do what all the other sheep are doing, even if it will lead to our own deaths.
3. Sheep don't like trouble in their lives. Do you like trouble in your life? As a matter of fact, sheep don't like trouble so much that they will not drink from a fast moving body of water, they will only will drink from slow moving streams (like trickle moving) and ponds.
4. Sheep need peace in their lives. We need peace in our lives. A shepard will never lead their flock through an area that will cause the flock anxiety, where their is no food or water or place to rest. God does the same. Although people would like to argue it, the reality is that we put the anxiety on ourselves because we think too much. If we would only just trust and realize that God has placed non of that anxiety on us, we would simply follow his will to the end of time. Sin is what causes us to think we know better then God, our shepard.

Thanks, Avesther, for an honest attempt to respond to an inane question.

Silverleaf, you are taking a literal approach to a metaphor. The metaphor is used in the Old and New Testaments a handful of times - not nearly 9,000 - to explain one aspect of God's love for us.

Jesus clearly explains the metaphor when he says in John 10, the shepherd is not a hired hand but cares for the sheep and will lay down his life for the sheep; that a true shepherd knows his sheep and they know him. He was not attempting to push the metaphor to mean anything more than that - and certainly not the literalistic extremes of what happens to sheep in the end.

It brings most Christians great comfort to know that God in Heaven chooses to explain his relationship with us as a Shepherd who cares and wants only the best for his sheep. Similar to Father, Protector, Redeemer, Strong Shelter - they are all metaphors trying to help us understand the extent of God's love.

I find that comforting. I hope one day you will too.

lol duh, Laz hehehe u awesome dude! Truely tho parts of the body is more relevent than sheep for we are more than as sheep! We are his witnessnesses as was a shepherd's flock of sheep was to his standing in da old days! No greater Love has ever been bestowed on any other Living thing hehehe Living wOOt! Sorry me silly! What do we prowl, ah an answer, well as written I DON'T bleat or baa I go beyond to share with future sisters and brothers! A flock in body in my eye rather than sheep though my master dictates the fields of direction! wOOt that be right! A body to be right by noticing the unision of the two! It's not do what you do that's important, it's doing exactly what you would do! A lofty goal for me and for my sisiters and brothers whom in one correspond to God's wishes! Hehehe I love the word Lofty! It makes me look up! Hehehe Sorry I blurp!

Last edited:
Even in correction, we should do so in love. Silverleaf was not being hostile towards the Word of God, was not being blasphemous nor heretical. I think the tone of your response merits prayer and probably apology.

I dunno, I agree that the question is inane, which means "silly"
Whatever the denotation, as a Christian it is the heart that matters, and I have never heard anyone use "inane" without a condescending connotation. Maybe Abba San has done so, but he'll be my first.

I would have to agree with IndyofComo as I interpreted it the same when i read it and I don't need to break the definition of "inane" down further then he has already.

My opinion is that there is no further discussion needed regarding choice of words in specific posts. If you have a problem with the way a specific post was written, please report it to moderators and they will review it.

Please keep the discussion related to the Sheep and Shepherd topic or spin a new thread.

Indy, and jammer7,too - I agree with Durruck - I'd like to see this thread be about Shepherds and sheep - anything that might be helpful to silverleaf's not only understanding but appreciating the metaphor that God uses to explain our relationship.

Just know - I did not use the word inane lightly or without thinking about it. Part of the choice was based on a history and several private pm's that you would not be aware of. I tried to be as polite as possible. Sorry I sounded offensive - just trying to be direct.

Glad to have you both participate in the forum.

Sheep also need to stick together for protection against wolves. When we divide, the enemy conquers (even if it's only a temporal victory).

This is funny and I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Last Sunday, the sermon was about the book of John and sheep/shepherds. The pastor said the word sheep is mentioned almost 400 times in the Bible - it is an important term.

I think Aves and Lazarus summed it up the best. Sheep is the perfect metaphor for obstinate, stupid humans.

Last edited:

Silverleaf, you are taking a literal approach to a metaphor. The metaphor is used in the Old and New Testaments a handful of times - not nearly 9,000 - to explain one aspect of God's love for us.

Jesus clearly explains the metaphor when he says in John 10, the shepherd is not a hired hand but cares for the sheep and will lay down his life for the sheep; that a true shepherd knows his sheep and they know him. He was not attempting to push the metaphor to mean anything more than that - and certainly not the literalistic extremes of what happens to sheep in the end.

It brings most Christians great comfort to know that God in Heaven chooses to explain his relationship with us as a Shepherd who cares and wants only the best for his sheep. Similar to Father, Protector, Redeemer, Strong Shelter - they are all metaphors trying to help us understand the extent of God's love.

I find that comforting. I hope one day you will too.

Yeah I know sheep are very much like people, but the problem is Jesus loves us, whereas shepherds only love their sheep because of the $$$. I know this sounds real stupid, but just wondering how we're supposed to interpret it.

And yeah AbbaSan I interpret it your way, but just wondering.

For the shepherd, it was about his livelihood. The shepherd would lay down his life for the good of the flock. For the Shepherd, it had nothing to His livelihood and everything to do with protecting His flock.

I'm glad, silverleaf. But it isn't my way - I'm not smart enough to figure out that kind of thing. It is how people for nearly 2,000 years have interpreted and understood it.

Jesus used the same metaphor saying the shepherd would even leave the 99 to find the one sheep that was lost. That really is love and caring - and how much he cares for us.

I'm glad you see that, silverleaf. However, it isn't my way - I'm not smart enough to figure out that kind of thing. It is how people for nearly 2,000 years have interpreted and understood it.

And I don't think you have to spend too much time wondering about the $$$ part. The metaphor was making the point about caring for the flock. You can't push metaphors to the extreme.

Kind of like Jesus saying he would leave the 99 to find the one lost sheep. The point is that he cares so much for the one - not that he doesn't care for the 99 - or that he cares for the one more than the 99. It is not about the 99 at all, but about the one lost and the shepherd's desire to have it back in the fold.

A metaphor is used to make one, maybe two points. It is not meant to be taken literally nor to have every aspect of the subjects of the metaphor explored.

So rest easy about the $$$ part.

Back