Shade of Aran strategy "video"

Some pointers from our work newsgroups:

-Blizzard: Have one skilled person watch for the first ice bolt to drop on blizzards, they should know where to stand relative to that warning bolt, and everybody follows them around. Be sure to have a raid mark on them so people know who to follow.

-Steady and Calm are the key to this fight, don’t feel as if you have to race the clock here, making sure nobody screws up is more important and doing everything you can to avoid bad spell combinations

My experiences thus far with this fight is it's a pure dps battle. steady and calm is important, but if you aren't getting reasonable dps on him, your healers will start to get overwhelmed. Warrior and Feral tanks should be in full dps gear, paladin tanks are a bit tougher - we've been having them help with healing. Minimum 6 of your 10 should be going all out dps, ideally 7 of 10. Keeping everyone alive is paramount to success, even losing one dps or healer, especially early can be enough to lower your aggregate dmg/mitigation to where you can't drop him. Making sure people don't move during the flame wreath is the first step though. Once you get that down (which really shouldn't be *that* hard), the rest is a dps/endurance fight.

One time we downed him was crazy, it got down to the wire when we got him to around 15% we started losing people. I died 3 times that fight being battle rezzed twice, at the end I was weaving in moonfire's between my heals trying to squeeze out the last few percentage. Our healing pally was the last one standing and got a last moment lay on hands, hammer and holy shock in and dropped the shade - OOM and with like 2k hp left, everyone else was dead. It was nuts XD.

Good interrupts can make up for a lack of dps and vice-versa. Having both makes the fight so much easier.

Quantam and I both walked out of the flame wreath! I did 27K damage to the people around me! (Well over half the total damage I did that night)

I've been chanting all day, i hope never to do it again.

A little comment to the people who made this video... Some people have a little too much time on their hands...

This is how my guild does this boss. We normally have 2 warrior and 2 rogues or 1 rogue 1 shaman for interrupts. assign 2 people to fireballs 2 people to frostbolts. when you interupt the casts try to wait till the end of the cast. the blizzard always goes clock wise so when the blizzard falls sit on the oposite side of it (casters should not go in melee range of shade of aran). For flame wrathes you can just listen to this. When you get to the elementals (think it was 40% they pop out [not sure]) we usually CC them. Beware he will cast blizzard/flame wrathe about the same time. You can then burn down shade of aran poping trinkets and cool downs. The elementals will disappear they have a timer on them. Also, NO TANKS NEEDED. Tanking just lowers you defense and he really doesn't have that great of an agro holder.

--EDIT--

Forgot about arcane explosion. Just run out, you can get out walking with the slow down. Pallies can dispell the slowing effect and gnomes can pop escape artist.

Last edited:
... Also, NO TANKS NEEDED. Tanking just lowers you defense and he really doesn't have that great of an agro holder.

I do not agree with a few things, while that many interuptes is good, I think it is over doing it; Let me explain how I have seen the fight go everytime with a Tank (tanking) and only 2 interupters and he is one shotted almost everytime.

First you MT builds agro keeping shade in the room (Shade does have an agro list) and if the MT holds top agro through the whole fight the Shade will not move from the center to the room, which does a few things for you... 1) is keeps your melee DPS right at him DPSing and interupting the casts. 2) When flam wreath (FW) is cast Melee DPS are not trying to get into range to attack during the FW. 3) No matter where you are in the room most everyone will be in caster range and so will the shade. and 4) the shade doesn't ever stand in the blizzard causing you Melee DPS/Interupter from being able to do just that.

If you have 2 interupters and they are ontop of their game and know when eachother is going they are more then enought o handle the fight
By tanking the Shade that faight become ALLOT easier.

Back