Settlers of Catan

Glitch

So this is completely impromptu, but i was wondering...

How many of you guys play (or have played) Settlers of Catan?
One of my friends turned me on to this game about a year ago, and I really love it. There are a bunch of expansion packs (but I have only played the original).
I liked the game so much i bought it for my 360 and I play it online occasionally.

I love Settlers! My youth leader got it a while back with one expansion and its one of our favorite games. I didn't know you could get it on the 360 for online play, I wonder how different of an experience that is than the board version.

Love it! Have played most all the xpacs and even created my own custom board. My favorite version is the Authorized Christian spin-off Settlers of Canaan. It has an excellent board setup and neat dynamics.

I do not have it for 360 but would get if I knew ppl that were playing.

It is a great board game - I didn't know it was online. I love the game with the expansion packs. I had not thought of Settlers for a long time.

I just remembered something. *curse short term memory loss* but i think i posted this exact same topic about 6-8 months ago.
But... i don't think that matters a lot, right?

Love it! Have played most all the xpacs and even created my own custom board.
I had no idea you could create your own custom board. And based on your opinion, what is the best expansion pack. Cities and Knights or Sea farer's (sp?) ?
My favorite version is the Authorized Christian spin-off Settlers of Canaan. It has an excellent board setup and neat dynamics.
someone told me that is a mixture of the original and cities and knights with one more extra thing about building the wall of Jerusalem. is that true? (so hypothetically, i might be better to just buy that rather than the original and the cities and knights expansion)

I do not have it for 360 but would get if I knew ppl that were playing.

I love Settlers! My youth leader got it a while back with one expansion and its one of our favorite games. I didn't know you could get it on the 360 for online play, I wonder how different of an experience that is than the board version.

Same with me, my youth leader (and some friends) got me into it. I play it on the 360. It cost 10$ at the xbox arcade marketplace.
The online version is JUST the original version played by the exact game rules.
It is a lot different than just a game board though, in the aspect of how you interact with the other players. when you are playing with other players, you can bluff, and use certain tactics but they don't work online very well (even with a headset).

By custom board, I mean my wife and I cut out giant cardboard Hexs and put colored paper on top of them We then use those to play a standard game of Catan or we place them on top of the Canaan board to change it up.

The one thing about the Canaan board is that its a static placement. Some of the fun in Catan is definitely the randomness of the board placement. However, the static board is really well setup and there is a ton of strategy. After you play it some you know your favorite start places and have many ideas about what routes to take depending on what your opponents claimed.

All the xpacs are great if you have been playing a lot and need some change. I think the Cities/Knights adds the best twists, but I liked them all. I don't think I would play with Cities unless all the players were "experienced" players.

yes, the game really does favor those who have played the board a few times as there are some very obvious sections to capitalize or block people from.

I love the game. I have the original and C&K. I haven't ever played Seafarers so I can't really comment on that. I have played the game online a few times but it was never as fun as playing the board game. Without being able to bluff people and mess with their heads about what exactly your plan is, the game can lose some fun.

However, if enough ToJers have it for 360, I would definitely buy it and love to play.

Without being able to bluff people and mess with their heads about what exactly your plan is, the game can lose some fun.

However, if enough ToJers have it for 360, I would definitely buy it and love to play.

My same thoughts. It some times can drive me nuts when i play online "trying" to bluff or be tricky. it really doesn't work well. it is hard to use deceptive trickery while trying to play with a plane board game. Does that make sense?

I have another question -

If you have the original settlers campaign and you want to buy Cities and Knights 5+6 player expansion, do you have to buy settlers 5 + 6, Cities and Knights, AND Ciites and Knights 5 + 6. ?

My same thoughts. It some times can drive me nuts when i play online "trying" to bluff or be tricky. it really doesn't work well. it is hard to use deceptive trickery while trying to play with a plane board game. Does that make sense?

I have another question -

If you have the original settlers campaign and you want to buy Cities and Knights 5+6 player expansion, do you have to buy settlers 5 + 6, Cities and Knights, AND Ciites and Knights 5 + 6. ?

I believe that you do. I've tried playing the expansion before and didnt really like it that much. I felt the board got too hectic and everybody ended up stuck really.

Back