Science: Evolution, life on Mars etc.

Well, you see it seems impossible that the world was created from the head of Ymir. It seems impossible that the clouds were created from his brains.

There is so much evidence of this that I have not the slightest compunction in saying that the Norse were, once again, displaying their talent for metaphor. Life is a cycle of death and rebirth.

Eon

And why are not your gods simply metaphors for the forces and energies that make up the universe? Where does one draw the line between literal and symbolic tradition?

Isn't it supposed to be simple in your case, Timor? The bible is completely literal and factual and truthful.

In my case, of course, it's very much different. The Vikings were the masters of metaphor, using a technique known as Kenning. I guess I have to use my eyes, my brain and my heart to determine what is metaphor and what is literal.

Eon

I wouldn't say its supposed to be "easy". After all, look at all the attacks the Bible recieves - for we can't simply say that it is speaking metaphorically.

I guess my biggest problem with what you're talking about, Eon, is the treatment of religion like a buffet table... =\

Well, you're assuming that I'm picking and choosing what I WANT, when in truth I'm picking and choosing what my intellect and my conscience tell me are the truths.

Eon

Back