Runscape

Status
Not open for further replies.
In answer to your question in regards to demons and magic being in the game. Its true..Many of the games have references to demons and magic and even certain occult things. And I suppose if you chose to worship the gods in the game and apply some of the religions and lore in your personal life then there would certainly be a problem. MMORPGs...which means massive multiplayer roleplaying games are basically vast worlds that hold many different people from many different backgrounds all in the same "world". I personally don't feel its wrong for christians to play these games because much like the real world we are in the same world where demons are worshipped and magic is practiced along with other occult occurances. We as christians dont have to be of this world but we do have to be in this world. (the real world) So being forbidden to play a mmorpg just because it has references to demons and magic would be like being forbidden to step outside your home or church because the outside world is also filled with occult occurances and beliefs.

As for a personal reason I choose as a christian to play these games is because I know from years of experience that there are kids (and adults) that are playing these games that dont have any real world friends or positive influences who spend a good part of their social lives in these games. Sometimes the only exposure to God's love and God's word are you (or your character) in the game. It is sometimes a wonderful environment where you can be more generous then you can afford to be in real life..or more kind to a stranger then you would feel comfortable being in real life or even more bold and outspoken about God's word then you would normally be.

I can personally testify to at least 2 that have come to the Lord through online games such as these. (Not because of the games themselves but because there were christians there willing to share Gods love.) And in my years of playing these type games I know of 3 who were on the brink of suicide who changed there minds because there was someone, who although they were miles away cared enough to be there and listen to them.

I guess my concern in regards to a christian would more be a concern for them becomming addicted and forsaking their fellowship with family and friends in the real world. Especially if they were forsaking their relationship with the Lord. As christains we are supposed to be as balanced as we can, doing all things in moderation. We have to know when to draw the line.

i dotn believe magic is that much of a big deal, if you have a proplem with harry potter then u have a proplem with almost every single disney movie ever made. i prefer to not play games that have perfuse magic use examble, vampire hunter d, and blood rayne (spell?) and others similer. but like WoW and runescape are harmless nothing more than the normal fantasy gaming.

I play because I was a D&D freak before I was saved. I tend not to play magic based char's but its like anything else, what extreme do you take it. I personal will not play a completely God less char, or even a char thats sole purpose is the infliction of pain and suffering for personal gain or completely denouces God. Hences a Heritic in DOAC. But thats my personal choice, and anything I do play I try to present something that glorifies God even in my playing.

My personal feeling is you do what God convicts of you. If you are in tune to the Holy Spirit you will know weather what you are doing is glorifing God or Not.

harry potter depends on how you take it, if you know it's fiction and you take it as purely fiction and with that attitude, you should be okay.

with the right atittudes it is okay i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back