Roleplaying Game Role...

Eon

I have just started playing a new character in a roleplaying game - Apollyon, Abaddon's equal and opposite and one of the two who holds the key to the abyss.

Only I've woken on earth with a big memory problem and whilst I have a few neat tricks up my sleeve, I'm pretty far from a powerful avenging angel.

The thing is that there are Demons free on Earth - so I suspect I've failed in my task somehow and been cast down here to herd them back up and get them where they belong.

I mention this for a number of reasons:

1. Does anyone have any insights into the nature of Apolloin / Apollyon that they can share? I want to do this right...

2. Does anyone have any insights into Angelic nature in general?

3. This is the first time I've Roleplayed a Christian mythos character in any of my games, and I'm kinda surprised that I actually decided to do this. I naturally thought of sharing this with YOU guys.

I just did a google search on Apollyon and came up with this link.

LINK

Apollyon and Abbadon are one in the same, they are not opposites. Just 2 different names for the same being. Abbadon is Hebrew, and Apollyon is Greek.

Yeah I hit that link too. Then I got passed another one that said something different - it appears there's some confusion somewhere.

Ah well...

This seems to be a site from a man who did his homework. I don't think I agree with angels being sexless, for the ones in Sodom were male, as well as the archangels.

Pastor Belanger

http://www.invitation.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=38

Angels are spiritual beings created by God who help carry out his work on earth. They bring God's messages to people (Luke 1:26), protect God's people (Daniel 6:22), offer encouragement (Genesis 16:7), give guidance (Exodus 14:19), carry out punishment (2 Samuel 24:15,17), patrol the earth (Zechariah 1:9,14), and fight the forces of evil (2 Kings 6:16,18).

There are both holy and evil angels (Revelation 12:7), but because evil angels are allied with the devil, or Satan, they have considerably less power and authority than holy angels.

You will find consistently through out the Scriptures that angels have and will again minister primarily to Israel. It was only during the transition of ministering the Word of God from Israel to the Church that we see angels involved with the church. However, angels do not minister to the church...this is the exclusive role of the Holy Spirit.

Angels will be prevalent in ministering again at the moment of the rapture (1 Thess. 4:16,17), when God's dealings with Israel will once again be prevalent on the earth. The Church will be gone and so will the influence of the Holy Spirit. God will once again permit the duties of the holy angels towards Israel to be realized.

The Church/Christians are not to seek, pray, or depend on angels in any way. Our dependence is upon the indwelling Holy Spirit (Eph. 5:17,19).
The following are facts about Angels.

Angel means messenger. Angels are created (Psalm 148:2,5; Col. 1:16), non-human, spirit beings (Heb. 1:14). They are immortal (Luke 20:36), innumerable (Heb. 12:22), invisible (Num. 22:22-31), sexless (Matt. 22:30), and do the will of God (Psalm 103:20). These angels have a ministry to believers. They guide (Gen. 24:7, 40), protect (Psalm 34:7), and comfort (Acts 27:2, 24).

There are good angels (Gen. 28:12; Psalm 91:11) and evil angels (2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6). The only angels mentioned by name are Gabriel (Dan. 8:16; 9:21 ), Michael (Dan. 10:13,21; 112:1), and Lucifer (Luke 10:18). Michael is always mentioned in the context of battle (Dan. 10:13) and Gabriel as a messenger (Luke 1:26). Of course, Lucifer, who became Satan, is the one who opposes God.

Angels were originally created for the purpose of serving and carrying out the will of God. The fallen angels rebelled and became evil angels. Satan is such an angel (Isaiah 14:12-16; Ezekiel 28:12-15).

Who Are the Archangels?

In the Bible, the term archangel is found only in the New Testament in two places:

1 Thess. 4:16, "For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel...

Jude 9, "But Michael the archangel...

Archangels are in a class of angels of great rank and power. There are three archangels named: Michael, Gabriel, and Lucifer.

Marcylene said:
This seems to be a site from a man who did his homework. I don't think I agree with angels being sexless, for the ones in Sodom were male, as well as the archangels.

Pastor Belanger

http://www.invitation.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=38

Angels are spiritual beings created by God who help carry out his work on earth. They bring God's messages to people (Luke 1:26), protect God's people (Daniel 6:22), offer encouragement (Genesis 16:7), give guidance (Exodus 14:19), carry out punishment (2 Samuel 24:15,17), patrol the earth (Zechariah 1:9,14), and fight the forces of evil (2 Kings 6:16,18).

There are both holy and evil angels (Revelation 12:7), but because evil angels are allied with the devil, or Satan, they have considerably less power and authority than holy angels.

You will find consistently through out the Scriptures that angels have and will again minister primarily to Israel. It was only during the transition of ministering the Word of God from Israel to the Church that we see angels involved with the church. However, angels do not minister to the church...this is the exclusive role of the Holy Spirit.

Angels will be prevalent in ministering again at the moment of the rapture (1 Thess. 4:16,17), when God's dealings with Israel will once again be prevalent on the earth. The Church will be gone and so will the influence of the Holy Spirit. God will once again permit the duties of the holy angels towards Israel to be realized.

The Church/Christians are not to seek, pray, or depend on angels in any way. Our dependence is upon the indwelling Holy Spirit (Eph. 5:17,19).
The following are facts about Angels.

Angel means messenger. Angels are created (Psalm 148:2,5; Col. 1:16), non-human, spirit beings (Heb. 1:14). They are immortal (Luke 20:36), innumerable (Heb. 12:22), invisible (Num. 22:22-31), sexless (Matt. 22:30), and do the will of God (Psalm 103:20). These angels have a ministry to believers. They guide (Gen. 24:7, 40), protect (Psalm 34:7), and comfort (Acts 27:2, 24).

There are good angels (Gen. 28:12; Psalm 91:11) and evil angels (2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6). The only angels mentioned by name are Gabriel (Dan. 8:16; 9:21 ), Michael (Dan. 10:13,21; 112:1), and Lucifer (Luke 10:18). Michael is always mentioned in the context of battle (Dan. 10:13) and Gabriel as a messenger (Luke 1:26). Of course, Lucifer, who became Satan, is the one who opposes God.

Angels were originally created for the purpose of serving and carrying out the will of God. The fallen angels rebelled and became evil angels. Satan is such an angel (Isaiah 14:12-16; Ezekiel 28:12-15).

Who Are the Archangels?

In the Bible, the term archangel is found only in the New Testament in two places:

1 Thess. 4:16, "For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel...

Jude 9, "But Michael the archangel...

Archangels are in a class of angels of great rank and power. There are three archangels named: Michael, Gabriel, and Lucifer.

Nothing on whether or not Angels have free will?

Oh, there is much to learn about angels! He barely brooched the subject matter! Revelation 12:4&9 speak of the 1/3 that were cast out. I think we can ascertain free will in those verses.

In a crosswalk.com search:
194 verses on angel
92 on angels
2 on archangel
3 on principalities and powers

Hmm...I went looking on gotquestions.org.

http://www.gotquestions.org/angels-sin.html

"Satan’s fall from heaven is described in Isaiah 14:12-14 and Ezekiel 28:12-18. Satan (Lucifer) was one of the highest angels, perhaps the highest (Eze 28:14). Lucifer knew God in all His glory. For Lucifer to rebel despite what he knew about God, it is the utmost of evil. As a result, God does not give Satan and the other fallen angels the opportunity to repent. Further, the Bible gives us no reason to believe they would repent even if God gave them the chance (1Peter 5:8). God gave Satan and the angels the same choice He gave Adam and Eve - to obey Him or not. The angels had a free will choice to make - God did not force or encourage any of the angels to sin. They sinned of their own free will - and therefore are worthy of God's eternal wrath."

Fascinating, if only the site didn't advocate pre-destination.

also u may find some stuff in pilgrims progress

IceBladePOD said:
Fascinating, if only the site didn't advocate pre-destination.

Not that Im trying to derail this thread, but I have heard an interesting analogy that I thought I would share.

The door to heaven looks a bit like this. Above the door it says,"Enter all who will", and after you pass through the door it says above it,"Welcome my chosen ones."

Im not 100% sure that is the way it was worded but that is the effect.

IceBladePOD said:
They sinned of their own free will - and therefore are worthy of God's eternal wrath.
This has often brought the question to my mind, "Will I be able to mess up in Heaven?" I know we are supposed to be like Jesus when we get there, so I assume the answer is now. Nevertheless, there is a small part of me that shudders at the thought of my will having free reign. If I am able to mess up, I feel hapless enough at times to do so!

Atown said:
also u may find some stuff in pilgrims progress
Pilgrims Progress is an excellent suggestion.
http://www.ccel.org/index/title-P.html
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/bunyan/pilgrim.v.i.html#v.i-p0.2
If you enjoy reading books online. Hit the arrow at the bottom of each page and you have the entire Pilgrim's Progress online. Every browser should have some form of edit on the menu bar and an option to find in top window, typing in angel does get many hits on Evangelist, but it is a way to find text if you don't want to read this classic. Hmmm, that gives me a new insight on Evangelists! :)

Arkanjal said:
The door to heaven looks a bit like this. Above the door it says,"Enter all who will", and after you pass through the door it says above it,"Welcome my chosen ones."
I am loving it! A wise yet simple way to clear up the confusion.

Eon said:
I have just started playing a new character in a roleplaying game - Apollyon, Abaddon's equal and opposite and one of the two who holds the key to the abyss.

Only I've woken on earth with a big memory problem and whilst I have a few neat tricks up my sleeve, I'm pretty far from a powerful avenging angel.

The thing is that there are Demons free on Earth - so I suspect I've failed in my task somehow and been cast down here to herd them back up and get them where they belong.

I mention this for a number of reasons:

1. Does anyone have any insights into the nature of Apolloin / Apollyon that they can share? I want to do this right...

3. This is the first time I've Roleplayed a Christian mythos character in any of my games, and I'm kinda surprised that I actually decided to do this. I naturally thought of sharing this with YOU guys.
What roleplaying game are you playing? Is this tabletop?

Arkanjel said:
Not that Im trying to derail this thread, but I have heard an interesting analogy that I thought I would share.

Where did this analogy come from?

Mr_Slice said:
What roleplaying game are you playing? Is this tabletop?

The old Whitewolf game, Hunter.

Thanks everyone for your interesting links and discussion - much to think on.

Arkanjel said:

What's the door above hell say after you pass through it, "Welcome those who I will subject to my wrath because I wouldn't empower you to choose me?"

IceBladePOD said:
What's the door above hell say after you pass through it, "Welcome those who I will subject to my wrath because I wouldn't empower you to choose me?"
Sorry if you dont like the analogy, but there are scripture verses that point to both. Both being pre-destination and free will. Im not one to tell God how to do things, Im just trying to present an analogy that explains both.

Arkanjel said:
"Enter all who will", and after you pass through the door it says above it,"Welcome my chosen ones."
There cannot be free well and pre destination! I take it to mean that we have free will, but those that accept Christ He considers His chosen ones! There are many promises for the righteous man, our righteousness being through the Blood of Jesus.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. II Peter 3:9

I don't think He will say anything, He will be weeping. If He did say a word, I picture it like unto David mourning over His son Absolam. "Oh, unsaved one! Oh, unsaved one! Would to God that you would have trusted Me as your Saviour!"

Back