Right shoulder and index finger pain

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
About two weeks ago (estimating), I started having frequent pain in my right shoulder. I've been taking occasional doses of ibuprofen (no more than 400mg at the advised intervals) and heating a Bed Buddy to place over my shoulder.

Popping my shoulder eases the pain somewhat, but doesn't eliminate it. I feel like I need to pop my shoulder far more frequently than usual and sometimes I'm unable to do so.

The shoulder pain is troublesome, but what concerns me more is the pain in my right index finger. Specifically, it hurts when I curl my finger. The pain is strongest at the knuckle closest to the fingertip. The level of pain varies, often worst in the mornings, but it has motivated me to spend less time on the computer and even less time gaming on the PC.

I have no medical insurance and live in the US, so it would be prohibitively expensive to see a doctor. I also would not want to visit a doctor, have the condition listed on my medical record, and then be denied coverage in the future because my issue was listed as an existing condition.

Please pray that I can find an inexpensive and effective solution to this problem. I certainly wouldn't mind (and most definitely don't discount the possibility of) miraculous healing, either, but I'll be taking what steps I can to reduce and eliminate the pain.

Please also pray that I'll be able to continue my work in the Christian gaming community while I heal. If I have to put my finger in a splint or stop using the computer for a few weeks, I'm not sure how I'd manage the CGA and Tribe of Judah.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be popping your shoulder in the first place. If its internal, having to do with your joints, I would recommend taking some glucosamine, as it helps strengthen your joints overall. Don't heat it, as it may be some inflammation, with your joints, you will want to ice it down. Taking Ibprofen does help with inflammation and alleviate pain. I would restrict the use of your shoulder and keep icing it, for 15 min intervals. But if the pain is drawing all the way down to your finger, it might be a pinched nerve. In that case, STOP POPPING YOUR SHOULDER!!!!!! You can goto WebMD to help diagnose yourself. It may be nothing too serious, just lay off of it for awhile, or immobilize it and let it heal itself.

I'm with Nazareth on the ice rather than heat - as well as the pinched nerve - as well as the STOP POPPING. If it helps, try seeing a chiropractor. Sometimes they are way cheaper than a physician - and way more effective.

Praying for you.

How's the baby?

Ice and ibuprofen seem to be helping a little, but it feels like it's still going to take a while longer to heal.

Please keep praying that the healing, slow as it may be, continues. I've dealt with chronic back pain in the past, but now that I'm a stay-at-home dad and taking care of my daughter by myself for half the day, I need to be mobile (and quick--she scoots rather quickly). If it was just an issue of my pain, I'd probably refuse to see a doctor until it got more severe, but if it keeps up, I may need to visit a chiropractor, if only for my daughter's safety.

I really, really, really hope it doesn't come to that since seeing a chiropractor without health insurance is prohibitively expensive.

My brother had to visit a chiropracter between jobs a few years back. He explained to them his lack of insurance and they cut him a deal (roughly 50% off). Call around and see if you can find any that will work with you.

Tek,

This is just speaking from some experience, but ratehr than a chiropractor or doctor, try a massage therapist, most of them are clinically trained (At least the ones around here are) and you can describe the pain to them and they can give you a suggestion as to what it could be. (They don't diagnose generally) And you can get an hour massage for roughly $60 (a lot less than a doctor's visit) So its a win win. :)

Sounds like a great idea. :)

The shoulder pain has decreased considerably, but the pain in my right finger's top joint hasn't dissipated. I'm currently typing this with my right index finger in a makeshift splint. :(

My plan now is to continue using the splint and continue periodic ice treatments on the finger joint.

I'll see how it goes, but chances are good I won't be doing much PC gaming this weekend. I also plan on typing less and more slowly until the joint pain fades a bit.

I'm telling you, acupuncture is the best solution for finger pain.
A trip to the acupuncturist costs money. :) I'm going to try some homemade remedies for now and see how it goes.

Ask your wife. I'm sure she'd be willing to stab ya with needles if you asked. (Mine would anyway). Great fun for her and it might help you. and it's free.

Prayer said and hope your situation improves, and also for wisdom to do the right thing.
Maybe see a doctor/friend anonymously if things don't improve. Maybe. Not sure how things work in the States. Also, imo no DIY acupuncture unless you wanna break something...

Ask your wife. I'm sure she'd be willing to stab ya with needles if you asked. (Mine would anyway). Great fun for her and it might help you. and it's free.
Right now, I'm more concerned that Wolfeman's wife wants to stab him than I am about my joint pain.

/levity

I bought some glucosamine chondroitin on sale at Walgreens and I'm going to be taking it twice daily in an effort to help my joint pain. I've also been wearing a makeshift finger splint on and off yesterday and today.

I'm also still praying for relief and appreciate everyone else's prayers as well. The sooner the pain subsides, the sooner I can stop being so stingy with my online time and get back to FPS games. :)

I have Lupus and my wife has Psoriatic Arthritis. We both take glucosamine and chondroitin for it. My wife has also gotten a lot of relief by cutting out sugar and colas. She also takes honey each day as well as some other stuff. Her joint pain has improved considerably. Just some ideas.

I have Lupus and my wife has Psoriatic Arthritis. We both take glucosamine and chondroitin for it. My wife has also gotten a lot of relief by cutting out sugar and colas. She also takes honey each day as well as some other stuff. Her joint pain has improved considerably. Just some ideas.
I drastically reduced my sugar intake a while back and I felt much better after. (I strongly suspect I have hypoglycemia and I'm not interested in having tests run to confirm since there's no medication for the condition and I've already made the dietary changes a doctor would recommend.)

I've started taking glucosamine chondroitin (Walgreens sales ftw), but I know it will take at least a few days to feel any benefit.

Meanwhile, I'm steering clear of FPS games (which is unfortunate, since I downloaded the Xotic demo last week and it looks interesting) and continuing to use a trackball with my left hand.

In other words, I'm taking all reasonable action without actually seeing a doctor. :)

Good to hear, any improvement?
If it's painful, swells up, turns blue or worse no sensation, then please see someone about it... I'd normally recommend against not seeing a health provider but given your circumstances, I understand why you may not want to. Praying nonetheless.

Good to hear, any improvement?
Not really, no. But I don't think it's getting any worse, either. Not yet, anyway.

If it's painful, swells up, turns blue or worse no sensation, then please see someone about it...
Aye, most definitely. I'm resistant to seeing a doctor while I don't have health insurance (and, considering what a complete mess the American healthcare system is, even with insurance), but I'm not going to risk permanent nerve damage or live with severe chronic pain.

I'd normally recommend against not seeing a health provider but given your circumstances, I understand why you may not want to. Praying nonetheless.
I'd normally advise consulting a physician in the same situation, but I lost over $800 from my health savings account for a doctor to tell me that I didn't have carpal tunnel syndrome years ago--and provide no other information or treatment. And that's back when I had health insurance.

So I'm in no hurry to see a doctor. If it comes to that, then so be it. The Lord will provide. But I can't afford to be wasting hundreds of dollars right now.

Back