Review for Perfect Dark

Anayo

(Screen stretching pic, click on the link)
http://www.rc4systems.net/Ben/29Mar2004-Be...en/img_1525.jpg

Perfect Dark is a first person shooter where you are a female agent named Joanna who has to find a certain doctor who's been taken hostage by an evil organization who plans to reconstruct his neurological structure and make him agree with their evil regime. I can't say much else about the plot because I didn't really play it too far.

The first thing that came to mind when I played this was "Hey, this feels kinda Goldeneye 007..." Then as I played a little more, I started noticing other uncanny similarities, such as enemies that die in the exact same way as they did on Goldeneye, bullet holes in the wall the look -exactly the same- as they did on GE, and the fact that you can't jump (just like GE). Then I looked at the cart and realized that PD was made by the same people who made GE (Nintendo and Rareware). The similarities between the two games could be a good or bad thing, depending upon who you ask.

The gameplay is solid. You walk through the levels, killing bad guys and completing your objectives (like GE). One plus is that you can play with two people simultaneously without the gameplay being degraded, which is way cool. There's also a multiplayer mode, but it makes the same mistake that alot of FPSes make by making the multiman levels tiny to such a degree that they're not much fun to play. At least you can customize the weapons to pick up instead of being stuck with a collection of definite sets.

The music is pretty good. Not phenomenal, not as good as Tony Hawk, but just a little better than adequate.

The dialogue, voice acting, and storyline are where this game commits hari-kari on itself. Enemies say some of the dumbest stuff when they get killed, such as "I don't wanna die!", "I'm dying!", "I don't like this anymore!", and "Why me?!". It kinda makes you miss the levels on Goldeneye where all the enemies were mute. If you think that dialogue is bad, the voice acting is even worse. -I- could've done a better job than these idiots! A good example of the crummy storyline would be when you finally find the kidnapped doctor, he turns out to be a floating laptop with a pair of eyes on the screen and a voice actor who sounds like a gay C3PO to do his voice. Joanna, the main character who you're supposed to play as, is too happy. The voice actor, in trying to sound smooth and sassy just ends up sounding like a complete idiot, and she's got this perky expression frozen on her face that just makes you want to punch it in. Come to think of it, she doesn't like anything like that blue-eyed assasin shown on the front of the cart. Maybe Rareware oughta stick to their cartoony titles, like Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong.

All in all, the gameplay, graphics, and music to perfect dark are all very solid, but the storyline it's supposed to follow, the dialogue, and the voice acting are all too goofy to be taken seriously. Get it for the lowest price possible if you want a good laugh and some cheap entertainment.

HOW DARE YOU GIVE PERFECT DARK A BAD RATING, YOU SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT INTO THE STREET AND FORCED TO EAT TOFU STICKS!!!!

How far did you really play into the game? You can turn OFF the voices completely, and the multipalyer levels in the beginning are small, but theres VERY LARGE ones you can unlock, the levels are so large it takes time to find a bot to kill when using all 8 (or was it 10) bots!
Just play the challenges to unlock more multiplayer levels, And the storyline IS actualy really good, if you played it through it would get pretty intresting, and youd start feeling more like a spy than a person running around shooting things.
The ONLY voice that sounds bad is the laptop dude man, but comon its a computer, what do you want it to sound like, John Wayne?

I agree with Firewasp. I like the game, Perfect Dark, I like it how u can change your control settings in multi-player unlike GE which everyone had to have the same control settings. Custom weapons is cool too. I like how u can change faces for your characters in MP, an alien face with a tuxeido lol. OR YEAH, Matrix style, MUHAHAHA, thats tough but cool.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"I don't wanna die!", "I'm dying!", "I don't like this anymore!", and "Why me?!

I like those, their funny, I like the one when you shoot them on the neck, they start to choke then cough, then die, hehehe.  
smile.gif

8 sims at one time. (8 sims + 4 players = 12 people on one console game!) about 15 MP levels, but yeah, some are huge.

For futurealism, I say Perfect Dark, but for real-time based weapons, I say Golden Eye or The World is Not Enough on the N64.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firewasp @ April 14 2004,6:13)]HOW DARE YOU GIVE PERFECT DARK A BAD RATING, YOU SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT INTO THE STREET AND FORCED TO EAT TOFU STICKS!!!!

How far did you really play into the game? You can turn OFF the voices completely, and the multipalyer levels in the beginning are small, but theres VERY LARGE ones you can unlock, the levels are so large it takes time to find a bot to kill when using all 8 (or was it 10) bots!
Just play the challenges to unlock more multiplayer levels, And the storyline IS actualy really good, if you played it through it would get pretty intresting, and youd start feeling more like a spy than a person running around shooting things.
The ONLY voice that sounds bad is the laptop dude man, but comon its a computer, what do you want it to sound like, John Wayne?
Maybe I oughta play it some more... when I get sick of all my Playstation games
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I like those, their funny, I like the one when you shoot them on the neck, they start to choke then cough, then die, hehe
Or how you can punch civilians without killing them, and delibrately fail objectives and still continue (as opposed to The World is Not Enough). It's fun to destroy everyone and everything after having played by the rules for so long.

Back