RESOURCE: A list of games with homosexuality in them

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
Post if you know a game that is an advocate of homosexuality, with/without a short description of context.
If a character is effeminate, humorously foppish or basically open to debate if they are gay don't bother posting them.

This thread seeks to maintain a listing of games that support homosexuality by normalizing it in plot or available choices. I've singled this out from other objectionable material (language, sex, violence, etc.) not because the sin is any worse but because secular reviews/ratings are largely advocates of homosexuality and there is a concerted, organized push for it's acceptance. Christian review sites do oppose homosexuality, and should be used for additional content checks, but I do not know of a comprehensive list of these games alone. I do not wish to support games with homosexual agendas so this list makes it easy to know. To those who struggle with homosexuality my sins make me no better but I do not excuse my sins. When I fail I try again. This is not a guilt trip thread for those who have chosen to tolerate this content in their games, I tolerate some content too, but a resource to help Christians make informed choices.

The List:
Borderlands 1: A mission has a homosexual (possibly bi-sexual) boss talk of crude, stereotypical, homosexual, prison activities in his communications.

Borderlands 2: I'll just quote the writer of Borderlands 2 within the spoiler...
Anthony Burch said:
We also have a few gay or bisexual characters in Borderlands 2. Sir Hammerlock is gay – you’re given a quest to find some old audio recordings by Hammerlock’s ex-boyfriend – and had an entire DLC all to himself. I’m also happy to say that in Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep, we confirm that Mister Torgue (an NPC who also had a DLC named after him) and Axton (our playable Commando class) are bisexual.

In a slightly-related story, Axton had some bi-curious dialog in the main game due to a slight hiccup in the writing process. Initially, I wrote a bunch of character-specific reviving dialog so that if you revived Sal while playing as Axton, he might say, “on your feet, soldier,” but if you revived Maya, he’d say, “woah – do you, uh, work out?” We didn’t end up actually getting the character-specific code implemented but the lines all stayed, so in the released game you can revive any male character and Axton still has a small chance to hit on him. After we mentioned this in an interview and some people on our forums expressed a bit of disappointment that he wasn’t intentionally bisexual, I put some more overt dialog in Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep to confirm that, actually, yes – dude is bisexual.

Now, why are these characters gay or bisexual? The answer is simple: we wanted to make our cast more diverse and inclusive, and it cost us effectively nothing to do so. We’ve received only a few negative emails or forum feedback about these characters. In fact, the positive feedback far outweighed the negative feedback – how often can you say that on the Internet – and by being more inclusive, we’ve potentially increased our audience. In the future, I’d like to be even more overt in discussing the sexuality of gay or bisexual characters (as this blog post by Robert Yang points out, the “just mention that they’re gay but don’t make a big deal out of it” style of characterization can be limiting in its own way), but these first tiny steps are still worthwhile, in my opinion.
Source http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1077

Fallout Series: Fallout 2 has a homosexual marriage option (I found one article where it's author specifically sited this as encouraging her homosexuality as a young girl). Fallout New Vegas' has some flirting options with the "confirmed bachelor" perk as well as some gay NPCs. I've not confirmed it with any of the others in the series as yet.

Gone Home: A lesbian romance is a large part of the plot.

Guild Wars 2: Depicted in some of the Sylvari and Green Knight story lines.

Heroes Rise: The Hero Project: Has the option to be straight or gay.

The Longest Journey: A prominent homosexual couple runs your boarding house.

Metal Gear Solid 2: In MGS2 Vamp's bisexuality as well as his relationship with Scott Dolph is told through codec communications. While you have to look for it this back story gives insight into Vamp and Fortune's, Scott Dolph's Daughter, friendship.

Metal Gear Solid 3: MGS3 is more upfront with Volgin and Major Raikov's relationship factoring slightly into the plot.

My Ex-Boyfriend the Space Tyrant: Indie adventure game with a completely homosexual cast.

Overwatch: Blizzard has gone on record saying there are multiple homosexual characters in the cast. The first, Tracer, was shown to be in Overwatch's online comic. In game dialog denoting this has not been added as yet. More are said to be on the way but they want them to come out organically in the story.

Rogue Legacy: When a descendant is randomly generated one of the traits a character can spawn with is gay. It doesn't do much of anything but it's there.

The below games have homosexual romance and/or marriage options:
Dragon Age Series
Fable Series
Mass Effect Series
Saints Row IV
Skyrim: The Elder Scrolls (not sure about earlier games in the series)
The Sims Series
Stardew Valley
Star Wars: The Old Republic (to my knowledge it's confined to one planet ATM)

Minor Mentions:
Final Fight - sorta maybe? Read the spoiler for more info:
When Final Fight was mentioned for this list I am assuming it was in respect to "Poison" a character who in the original Final Fight was reported to be a transsexual. I say reported because originally Poison was planned to be female.

wiki said:
The characters were originally planned to be normal females, but were changed to transsexual females due to the suggestion that "hitting women was considered rude" in America and the concern that feminist groups would sue.

If you just played the game you'd never know Poison was a guy you had to learn outside of game. There were gang members, you beat them up and that was about it. Regardless I've read many different answers about what Poison is, was, and will become. Really though it will forever be ambiguous and uncomfortable and Capcom probably likes it if it draws interest (Called it. Found this interview after writing this). From my anime experience I think the Japanese find stereotyped characters amusing and couldn't care two wits about western political correctness, unless it costs them money. Homosexuality is common in their media but the game's history and "street gang" setting point to reasons other than an agenda for Poison's creation. That doesn't mean it can't become agenda driven later if Capcom wants it. Also Poison isn't limited to just the Final Fight series. Supposedly in the upcoming Street Fighter 4 Ultra Poison has been retconned into a woman.

For comparison the original Final Fight is a mindless beat-em up while a game like "Gone Home" sits at the opposite side of the spectrum. Gone Home constructs an emotional tale to deliberately illicit sympathy for a homosexual romance. It wants you to accept homosexuality as normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_(Final_Fight)
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Poison

Last edited:
Aye, in SWToR, the digital expansion Makeb storyline includes options to flirt with a same sex NPC. Even more disappointing is the fact that there is NO option to flirt with the opposite sex NPC so a homosexual option is the only option.

You could add Guild Wars 2 to the list as I believe one of the main story characters Caithe has a same-gendered love. It's a pretty minor mention but it is present.

You could add Guild Wars 2 to the list as I believe one of the main story characters Caithe has a same-gendered love. It's a pretty minor mention but it is present.

Added.

As a note I thought about making this list for very long time but finally decided to do it now with all the sales going on.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's worth noting that Christ-Centered Gamer did mention that homosexuality features heavily in the plot of Gone Home--a fact that I knew nothing of until I read about the developers' refusal to attend PAX and their reasons why.

So there are resources that will make mention of such content, but Christian gamers will need to seek out such resources in order to make informed purchasing decisions.

Certainly Tek. The list is not meant to be substitute for further research which I can't encourage enough. Plugged in has some reviews too btw.

I can however attest to it personally being useful to know upfront which games have this content so I'd never get interested in them to begin with. Sometimes I see the latest forum fad, get interested because you guys are, and then find out I have to resist it. It's a lot easier if someone speaks up first and I can stop looking into the game right there. Same thing if a concerted effort is ever going to mounted to change the industry people have to speak up. However this is just a list to inform, not a call to arms, a debate thread or even a condemnation. It's facts that people should know that's all.

I didn't know about the Guild Wars 2 thing case in point.

NOTE: I"ll be editing my original post not to change it's meaning but for clarity and to make sure it is received in the spirit intended.

Last edited:
- Fable (Series)
- Final Fight (Series)
- Ultima 6
- Street of Rage: Remake
- Fallout (Series)
- Borderlands 2

As the list grows, it amazes me how a little leavening can affect the whole lump. The gay community only makes up around 3% of the overall population, yet so many game publishers feel the need pander to such a small minority. It's not just the gaming industry, I just didn't realize how prevalent it was in the gaming industry until you started the list.

Saints Row IV - as you rescue your companions, an option appears to romance them, without regard to the genders of them or your character. This is a purely optional part of the game, but it's an easily available sidetrack. Of course, if you're playing a game like SR4, you've probably already got your language, violence, and "I am a God" filters set to maximum....

There were undertones within Arkham City between Catwoman and Poison Ivy. I don't remember how overt the dialog was because I only played through it once. But I do remember there being at least a hint of it.

There were undertones within Arkham City between Catwoman and Poison Ivy. I don't remember how overt the dialog was because I only played through it once. But I do remember there being at least a hint of it.

Ugh they just had to /rolls eyes. Undoubtedly objectionable but I probably won't include it on this list unless it's clearcut (though I will look up the facts when I have time). The number of "tease" lesbianism games most likely dwarfs all other instances. They are doing it for the teenage boys not the ideology. That does NOT make it right but unless it's clearly homosexuality I'm going to leave it off the list as it would be a pain to track all the ones that just tease. These types of games will get a ESRB flag on suggestive or sexual themes too. While non-sexual games with homosexual content do not appear to get flagged. Those types of games are probably the most important for this list because you at least have ESRB warnings for the other.

I'll have to do some categorizing when I update the list. It's a vast difference between games like "Gone Home" and games like the original "Final Fight". I am confirming everything prior to adding it and I just don't have the time right now.

EDIT: I could not find anything for Catwoman and Poision Ivy. The wiki only mentioned them as friends and then enemies later.

Last edited:
I would say that with the Sims games (my wife has played all three to one extent or another 3 being the least played) that unless you try to make your character do same sex flirting you wont see it. The nature of the game makes pretty much everything up to the player and the environment reacts to your decisions. The Dragon Age games are definitely filled with a variety of sexual references (hetro, homo, and group). 2 at least toned down some of the romantic cutscenes though (1 had some pretty graphic ones imo).

I am genuinely curious as to why we would need a list like this. As a dude who was raised with in a secular mindset and wasn't really sheltered from anything I just don't understand. Could someone explain?

I just wanna make super sure that this doesn't come off as hostility. I am not good at phrasing things. :p

Last edited:
I am genuinely curious as to why we would need a list like this. As a dude who was raised with in a secular mindset and wasn't really sheltered from anything I just don't understand. Could someone explain?

I just wanna make super sure that this doesn't come off as hostility. I am not good at phrasing things. :p

Sure glad too :) . In fact I already explained why I posted it to some to others so I'll hack some parts together here. It's a wall O' text though XD.

Why a list of homosexuality and not other sins:
A lot of other objectionable content in games, false gods, necromancy, sex, violence are there as gameplay/plot vehicles with no deliberate consideration to their meaning. It's like a discussion on the random crosses in Japanese games I had once. It wasn't placed there by it's creator to convert people but to "look cool". That doesn't mean I don't object to other content or that it can't have influence only that Homosexuality is different as it's being included to convert people into accepting it as normal (if you doubt just read the spoiler on Borderlands 2 or the review link to "Gone Home" on my post). This is why I was going to exclude games for the list where characters are not clearly gay as they are probably there to "look cool". Looking at ESRB ratings, or even box art sometimes, I can determine many objectionable things but not so with homosexuality. Homosexuality is a noble cause pushed in media. Secular people can't/won't put a warning label on it when it's hip to be gay. We now have homosexual "It gets better" Pixar (CHILDRENS) ads. Homosexuality is not just a sin today it is an organized movement akin to a religion actively pushing it's values. To which a large part of the resistance comes solely from Christians. If we do nothing who will? Other than Atheism/secular humanism (every JRPG where the power of humans is greater than God) I can't think of a similar level "belief push" in games and even that is not as concerted an effort.

Regardless the only intent in the post is to list games that support homosexuality so people would know. Not to debate it right or wrong simply state the truth, these games support homosexuality. If we find the truth offensive there is not more to say. I'm open to changing my wording and I'm certainly not going to be explicit about content. Any words beyond the list were an effort to explain why I made it and singled it out from other sins. I didn't even want to say that much.

Also if anyone wants to make a list thread for another sin games promote, go for it. As long as it's not explicit why would I object? Again I didn't want the list to become a debate but it seems inevitable that it will. That only gives more credence that this sin IS treated differently by people than other sins. Say pedophilia or bestiality is a sin and you won't get near as many objections. This is why when Phil Robertson condemned bestiality and sleeping around as sins in the same breath as homosexuality few, if any, objected (Duck Dynasty had absolutely nothing to do with me posting it just happened at the same time). People do attempt to undefine other sins as sins but Homosexuality is among the front line in our world today.

What prompted me to make this list:
I was thinking about making a list like this all the way back when we had a discussion here on either Dragon Age and/or SWTOR which was LONG ago. I was encouraging people to resist sometime, anytime to help shape the industry into something better as opposed to buying everything without moral consideration. Why did I finally do it now? Well because at the time of my first post I had been looking at the Steam sale, The Gog sale, The Green Man sale and the Humble Bundle Sale. As I sat going through games I pondered if everyone buying in a "Ooooh it's so cheap frenzy" was going to take the time to consider the morality of their purchase (it was Christmas too, you know time we especially think of Christ). Then I considered my failure to do so with the Monaco 4 pack which I bought in a half asleep stupor a couple weeks ago. Lucky the worst about it seems to be the occasional 8 bit pee'ing :p . As I stared at a Gone Home sale, a game that purposely concealed it's homosexual agenda, I thought now would be a good time to make that list of homosexual agenda games to get people thinking about their purchases.

Yes technically we should all look up everything anyway but I certainly don't always remember and more importantly I know there are Christians who wouldn't even think of looking. Instead of getting excited about the latest schmancy game and then finding out I have to avoid it I'd prefer to be told before hand. It's easier to avoid temptation that way. Also people need to see others being concerned sometime. It can't be fluffy fun time everyday. I think it's very relevant to post something having to do with Christian morals and games in a Christian game forum. I remember one person on TF2 saying "X would have banned him". As much as I try to say "do what Jesus would" people will still look to us for guidance whether we want them to or not. Do we give them silence on things we know are wrong?

Also I'd personally like to track the homosexuality push in games. I don't play a lot of games so asking people to give a heads up seems the most efficient way to find out (I have googled to find some, ending up with homosexual sites dedicated to pushing, go figure). It's already apparent that certain companies are going to be pushing their views from this list so I know what to expect in their future games. I'm not sticking the thread or anything so it isn't any different that any other thread we've mentioned homosexuality in. I will probably bump it to tell people when a new homosexual agenda game comes out or if someone wants to talk, like you. Both constructive things to iron sharping in my opinion :) . It probably will fade away until then.

Last edited:
Back