"religion" vs. "belief system"

Aradia2

Many people use the terms "religion" and "belief system" almost interchangeably.
There IS some overlap between a religion and a belief system; as each person may believe certain concepts, even in a well- defined religious system, that are unique to him/her.

Nontheists do not subscribe to a religion.

They do, however, hold certain beliefs which constitute their belief system.

Can "belief system" be used to define "religion"? Absolutely.

Can "religion" be used to define a "belief system"? Not always.

In general or for myself?

In general I don't think it matters, but as I said, there are times when the terms don't overlap.

For myself, I follow belief system, since I don't hold any religious leanings.

What if one has a set of beliefs first and then finds a religion which closely follows those beliefs, would that then continue to be a belief system or a religion?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I suppose you feel it's better to have a belief system rather than a religion?

Actually, for a Christian, it is best to have a relationship. Both religions and belief systems are man made. (IMO)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Genesis1315 @ Oct. 29 2004,8:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I suppose you feel it's better to have a belief system rather than a religion?

Actually, for a Christian, it is best to have a relationship.  Both religions and belief systems are man made. (IMO)
I need some clarification please. Religions are man made, but how are belief systems man made?

What would you presume about a person who does not believe in a god but shares other ideas or beliefs similar to established religions?

Back