Recommended PCI Wireless-G network card?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I originally recommended the basic Linksys PCI Wireless-G network card for my wife's parents' upstairs computer based on Linksys' (formerly) strong reputation, only to find that it's a complete piece of p00.

What would the network experts in the house recommend as a replacement?

WRT54GS <- install DD-WRT and set it up as a bridge
Already did that with my WRT54GL. My wife and I can connect to the wireless network on our notebooks without any problems (with the occasional exception late at night), but the desktop computer continually has connection problems.

The network setup is fine. It's only the desktop computer upstairs that has any problems connecting and staying connected to the network.

I've decided I'm never buying a Linksys card that says Speedbooster on it again. I notice no difference in speed, and the drivers didn't work for me in Linux.

That may or may not mean anything for your situation... but I decided I hate it.

You may want to go with 802.11N as that seems to be getting popular. I've never used it, though.

I originally recommended the basic Linksys PCI Wireless-G network card for my wife's parents' upstairs computer based on Linksys' (formerly) strong reputation, only to find that it's a complete piece of p00.

What would the network experts in the house recommend as a replacement?

Linksys is hte best card i've ever worked with..dlinks usually suck. netgears are ok but the cards it's linksys for me..now as for routers..i use netgear only.

You have to get a card without a crappy chipset. IMO the atheros and intel are some of the better, and the realtek ones are crap. Unfortunately the manufacturers tend to just bump up the revision and throw in the cheapest lot they can buy. So it is hard to tell exactly what is in the card.

Back