Recommended cable modem?

Tek7@Work

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Sad news. When I called AT&T U-Verse to try to negotiate a better rate for Internet service, the best they would offer was $17 more a month than I'm paying now.

Long story short: I'm switching back to Mediacom.

Oy. Even typing that makes the bile rise in my throat.

The good news is that Mediacom has a 90-day money-back guarantee, so if they're awful, I can cancel and go back to U-Verse (and get a new customer rate).

But in the meantime, I need to buy a cable modem to avoid the $7.50 a month equipment fee.

The speed on my plan is 50 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up. Mediacom offers up to 150 Mbps, but I doubt I'll upgrade to a faster service any time soon.

So what cable modem would you all recommend? I want to get a good one (of course), but I also don't want to pay too much in case I end up canceling Mediacom and going back to AT&T U-Verse. In the scenario, I could try to sell the modem, but that sounds like a real hassle.

For what it's worth my last two providers have use Motorolas, not the same model as yours, but the same model both times. They prove to be solid modems with only one problem in 8 years. So yup to Motorola.

Just an FYI. I tried the cancel and comeback thing with DirecTV and they wouldn't let me come back as a new customer.... they did offer me a sweet deal but nothing close to the new customer deals.

=/, I still have my webstar that i got for free from the cable company when i moved in... 11 years ago

Back