Recommend Classic Movies

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Recommend some of your favorite and in your opinion the best made movies. They can be from any era, any budget, even any language.

Heat (1995)

I'm watching Heat right now, and I have to say this movie is one of the very best ever made. The audio effects and cinematography are some of the best I've ever seen/heard, and the story is very, very well delivered. It's exciting, and the characters are highly dimensional. Heat's not necessarily one of my favorites, but I do recognize it for being a classic and so very well executed.

So what are some of your favorites or in your opinion some of the best made ?

Casablanca. It's as close to cinematic perfection as any movie I can think of. Brilliantly shot, written, and acted. Love, action, suspense, intrigue. People that matter. Relationships that matter. Story that matters.

And good gravy DAT BLACK AND WHITE.

I can't get enough of the movie. Ever.

Last edited:
Groundhog Day

Narcissistic weatherman turns selfless humanitarian. Pacing is perfect, story is unique and Bill Murray is hilarious.

The Big Country

Not your typical western with shoot-em up chases. Starring Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston. Easily my favorite western, possibly my favorite movie (hard to say with so many genres and eras to choose from).

Stalag 17

WWII prisoner of war movie. While The Great Escape certainly was epic with a number of big stars and a great storyline, Stalag 17 barely edges it out, in my opinion, with its humor and story as well as better quotes.

Rebecca
Alfred Hitchcock made so many great movies in his day that a number get lost in the mix. Rebecca, to me, is one of the better ones that doesn't get the publicity it deserves. A psychological thriller that keeps you guessing right up to the end.

Harvey
I love how nothing phases the main character. He's always seeing the silver lining. Of course, the trick is that he is possibly insane. . .

The Longest Day
Rio Bravo
Rio Lobo
El Dorado
Silverado
Tora Tora Tora
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

I have to agree with Stalag 17 and Harvey too.

I can't really pick one favorite classic.

Nice. That's really awesome, I'm glad you guys are participating and it's interesting to see your picks.

I'm adding True Grit (2010) to the list. I know it's based off a novel, and there was the John Wayne True Grit, but I still think this is one of the best movies in terms of editing, acting, interesting characters, cinematography, story, dialogue (the Coen brothers always nail language and dialogue). The only thing I think could have been improved was the music; I didn't like how they largely rehashed the same music throughout the film.

Grapes of Wrath
Wings (even though it is silent)
Harvey
12 Angry Men
Fantasia (the original)
Bambi Meets Godzilla
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Night of The Hunter
Anything on the National Historic Register http://www.loc.gov/film/filmnfr.html except Rocky Horror Picture Show

TMC has been running Hitchcock marathons on the weekends the last few weeks.

To Catch a Thief
Vertigo!

Those were on last night and reminded me how good they are.

Rope is another good one.

We're probably better off mentioning the Hitchcock movies to avoid rather than the movies to see. I'm sure he made some terrible movies, I just don't know of them.

Several more of my random favorites:

Witness for the Prosecution
Twist? My goodness, this one turned me into a pretzel.

Charade
Sometimes referred to as "the best Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never made."

Spellbound
Didn't realize it was a Hitchcock movie until just now. Oh well, I recommend it anyway.

The African Queen
Bogey and Hepburn. Kind of an odd couple but they make it work in this movie.

I would have to double check but I think there are more Hitchcock movies in the National Registry than any other director.

edit: 3 for sure on a quick scan.

edit: More accurate count 11

Last edited:
We're probably better off mentioning the Hitchcock movies to avoid rather than the movies to see. I'm sure he made some terrible movies, I just don't know of them.
Charade
Sometimes referred to as "the best Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never made."

Spellbound
Didn't realize it was a Hitchcock movie until just now. Oh well, I recommend it anyway.
Agreed on both. Charade The chemistry between Audry Hepburn and Cary Grant is fantastic. Funny, gripping great plot, they just don't make movies like this anymore.

Spellbound It gets weird at points, but another great movie.

I forgot to mention classic Disney.

20,000 Leagues under the sea
A personal favorite even if the effects are somewhat dated. Always loved the look of the sub even if it didn't match the description in the book.

Swiss Family Robinson
Good family friendly entertainment before pirates somehow became the 'good' guys.

Third Man on the Mountain
A somewhat lesser known Disney flick although still great in my opinion. Watch it and understand why the Matterhorn is at Disneyland.

Darby O'Gil and the Little People
Sean Connery singing. Okay if you need more convincing... The special effects are superb for the time. They use a perspective technique to adjust the size of characters that is still in use today (Lord of the Rings).

Back