REAL ID

rhysj

To be honest this is blizzards best but worest id ever doen, you will see the email addy for anyone u realid friend and all there friends can see your addy. I am sorry butt his is a keylogger dream if they can hack you, they get all your friends email addy's and they can spam them. personally I think that this iis may sound nice but once one friend gets hacked the keyloggers are in. if I friend one person any of their friends see my email and my firneds, so it will be a dream world I personally do not recommand this to anyone. here are the faq's about it

http://us.battle.net/realid/faq.html

Honestly I feel we already have a close enough community to not worry about using this function at all. I agree with Rhys - our real ID form is apparent in our guild list with names and ages (which most people find is quite private as well).

So no hard feelings if I don't agree to Blizzard's attempt at Facebooking, right?

I did miss that they dont show the email addy to your friends I did find that after however I still wont do it. I have ways of getting hold of people if Ineed to get ahold of them that bad.

don't think it’s bad, I get key logging junk all the time that’s sent right to my junk mail I’m sure. (Free blizzard mount giveaway, click here now for your free mount) They need to accept you and you need to accept them and if someone gets hacked they see your e-mail address, that’s fine, there’s a zillion (well just under) ways to get an e-mail address really.

I think the point of it is a way to communicate between close friends that play the game, not meant as a guild chat thing. In reality a lot of folks use ICQ/AIM/Messanger/Facebook/etc to communicate together while there in different games, all of those are hackable as well and they could get your info from that. The average person may have 3-5 people only, social butterflies may have many many more close friends 

So I think its fine, just practice normal precautions and don't open any funky e-mails regardless if you play wow or not, use proper anti virus and if something looks to be to good it most likely is :) And if you ever think blizzard wants to give you something never click on a link, log into the game and go to account management from there and you will see if its true :)

And if you practice safe internet’ing (don’t think that’s a word :p ) then you have taken all the precautions and you don't have to waste time being paranoid about it. And if something ever did happen after all that remember... it’s a game :) Blizzard will restore everything. So be safe and have fun :)

(yes I rambled on ) :)

I don't believe the email addresses of friends of friends are shown, just their names.

In any case, you can simply choose not to use Real ID - I already know two people who have boycotted it until Blizz puts in an option not to allow friends to see your friends list.

[7F]LarryBoy;384121 said:
I already know two people who have boycotted it until Blizz puts in an option not to allow friends to see your friends list.

Why would that ever be an issue?

[7F]LarryBoy;384121 said:
I already know two people who have boycotted it until Blizz puts in an option not to allow friends to see your friends list.

Why would that ever be an issue?

There's a large misconception that seeing other people's friends allows you to see those friends' emails. Truth is, you just see them as their names, not as their emails. You don't even know what toons they have.

I am actually looking forward to it. But that might change I guess once I start using it.

What are the pros and cons then since you are a jedi in the ways of Real ID then? You can't just post a bland facebook "like" and get away with it :)

There are no extra risks in using it, period. Someone seeing your friends is also the least of your worries if you get hacked.

The people I know who aren't using it aren't concerned with the potential risk of getting hacked (which there isn't, of course), but more concerned with general privacy - not wanting all of their friends to know who's on their friends list, really. They may also object to the principle of allowing people to access their friends list without consent.

ok so after thinking about tit talk to rob I did decide to go and try it out it is nice just dont give email to people u dont want

this is a great way to find raid members when they not on the right char and playing other chars including horde and other servers

I do like the concept but can friends on your list see the email addresses of your other friends on the list? I am hoping that they just see the other people's names and that's it.

Kinda like having one friend that always forwards emails without using cc or bcc so one slip gets you a world of spam. I am not close minded and probably just need to get some facts straightened out.

[7F]EhUd;384718 said:
I do like the concept but can friends on your list see the email addresses of your other friends on the list? I am hoping that they just see the other people's names and that's it.

Your hopes are a reality :)

I may use it, but not right now. I like giving the dust a chance to settle just in case there are heretofore unseen issues. But, if all goes well, I'll probably start using. Now, if I only had some friends for it.... :rolleyes:

The one-two punch of the RealID change and the "new" "old" talent changes are making me wonder if Cata is even going to be in my game arsenal...

Back