Reading the Quran

My strong opinions against islam aside, I find there is nothing wrong about reading the opponent or anyone else's book, especially if it is just to understand the way they tick better. How can we reach out to them if we don't even know their core beliefs?

It's a question of time spent on it. Learning what others believe so you can answer their questions is fine but make your top priority learning what you believe. Grow in faith and understanding of God lest you be sucked into the deceptions other religions will expose you too or have no answer. Fighting without the armor of God is folly (Ephesians 6:10-18).

haha well don't think we should bash them on an open forum lawl. But I can't help but find some... pretty interesting stuff in some of the other faiths, some even very detailed.

haha well don't think we should bash them on an open forum lawl. But I can't help but find some... pretty interesting stuff in some of the other faiths, some even very detailed.

True we should probably be polite of how we phrase it even if the stuff is true. :)

By declaring the truth to them. I don't need to study every religion in order to evangelize or to help their physical needs. It may be of some benefit to study their beliefs, but to imply that we cannot reach out to someone if we don't know what they believe is incorrect.
Presuppositional apologetics would disagree with you. You can proclaim the truth to them all you want, won't do any good while they have other beliefs they are holding on to which they'd have to let go of to listen to you long enough to hear Jesus. People have reasons why they chose to believe what they believe, even us. Learn the other religion well enough to know what makes it tick, and you'll know not only which parts of their religion to ask about, but which parts of Christianity to bring up. Speak to them where they (unknowingly) miss Jesus the most, find that hole by knowing their religion.
I'm not sure I made much sense...

That made perfect sense, Indy.

I intentionally don't hold all the details about other religions in my head. So, when I am getting ready to talk to a Muslim or a Buddhist I have to review because I, too, think it is important to understand where they are coming from.

Thanks for the input.

Back