Quick tips for Steam sales

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
With the Steam Autumn Sale upon us (and threatening to devour our wallets), here are a few handy tips that may help newcomers to Steam:

1. Check other sites (such as GOG, Green Man Gaming, and Humble Bundle) before making any purchases. Just because it's on sale on Steam doesn't mean it's the best deal. Example: The current Humble Weekly sale features Jamestown, S.P.A.Z, Closure, Shatter, and other great games for as cheap as $1 (but remember, Humble sales support charity, too!) if you forego Dungeon Defenders and Defense Grid Gold.
  2. Add everything you want or think you might want to your Steam wish list.
  3. Watch flash sales and daily deals as you're able. Buy NOTHING unless it's on a daily deal or flash sale.
  4. On the last day of the sale, check your wish list for any games you want that weren't featured as a daily deal or flash sale. Make your last sale purchases then.
  5. Remember that Steam does not offer refunds (unless, of course, they fail to mention that a game requires Games for Windows Live on the store page and you politely request a refund), so don't buy a game you don't want just because it's cheap.

They most certainly do not make a habit of offering refunds. I bought the wrong edition of Guild Wars and I got extremely lucky and they refunded it (even knowing I had used the key), but stated that they do not usually do that.

Back