Question:

ChickenSoup

Banned
My computer won't defragment right because every time it defragments it says it couldn't defragment a file called "C:\Programfiles\GuildWars\Gw.dat"

But the thing is, when I finally found the little bugger, I didn't know what to do.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it's causing a lot of the files to not defragment...

So has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

my.php

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8517/problemfilemj3.png

The GW.dat file is the data file that contains all the models for every creature, player armor, spell effect, and map in the game... for all three continents. I think I ran into this same problem at one point because of the file's size. My computer has a second hard drive. I moved the file onto the second drive, ran the defrag, and moved the file back. Other options would be to burn the file onto a DVD or just delete it. Obviously, deleting it wouuld be a little extreme and require a LOT of re-downloading time for the files.

The defragment utility that comes with Windows isn't very strong. My suggestion is to download the (far superior) trial version of PerfectDisk and defragment your drive. I have never had any problems with PerfectDisk.

Testimonies that I have read say that PerfectDisk can defragment disks that other programs won't touch. In addition, it can watch how you use your files and place them in more efficient locations on your disk for best performance. You can get it here:

PerfectDisk

I use it.

It's so strange to me that they have one file for EVERYTHING... doesn't seem very safe. Then again, I suppose it works well enough for them. My idea has already been mentioned: Uninstall -> Defrag -> Reinstall

-Chadley

Back