Question for blackberry owners.

wowAbdi

Im getting a new Blackberry and it will be my first one. One of the reasons I decided on it is because I've heard people say they can hook there phone to the computer and access the internet. Anyways, this was a selling factor while I was shoping for a new phone. Anywho I got on blackberry's website and it didn't say nothing about being able to do this. So my question is, if anyone has a blackberry and uses it for internet on their desktop/laptop, how do you get it to work? One of the people that told me I could do this was the rep at T-Mobile.

Thanks Guys :)
Ericin / Kutless

it depends on the model of BB and the carrirer. Also in order to do that you need a data plan as well(which costs extra $$$). Keep in mind hte caps on those data plans are excruciatingly low(5 gigs or under) so i sould not do this unless you MUST have inet access for your computer as the overages are through the roof if you go over that 5 gig cap(and it's very very easy to do).

my bb doesn't have wifi , a must in today's world. They told me i can surf the web with mine but it runs through their system. so slowwww. plus the screen size is hard to see. I wish I would've gotten a different model now. One with built in wifi for local internet at home.
The full qwerty board is nice but hard to use with my big ol fingers. :)
I have Alltel. Verizon didn't buy out our local Alltel. Don't know if that was a good thing or not.

I have a Blackberry flip phone and really enjoy it. It works well with texting and IMing people and keeping up with dates, however if you want a phone that does well on the internet I would stay away from Blackberries because of what previous posters have said. It does well on the internet... for a phone, but there better performers out there.

Usually the provider needs to allow you to tether your phone. This seems to be the relevant documentation for actually doing so.

Last edited:
Im getting a new Blackberry and it will be my first one. One of the reasons I decided on it is because I've heard people say they can hook there phone to the computer and access the internet. Anyways, this was a selling factor while I was shoping for a new phone. Anywho I got on blackberry's website and it didn't say nothing about being able to do this. So my question is, if anyone has a blackberry and uses it for internet on their desktop/laptop, how do you get it to work? One of the people that told me I could do this was the rep at T-Mobile.

Thanks Guys :)
Ericin / Kutless

if your really wanting something for internet, i would really suggest a G1 or a iphone

My wife and I picked up some Blackberrys this weekend for an upgrade we had. And we did alot of research before purchasing the phones. The data plans are extra around 25-30 depending on the provider, but most are unlimited. The ones we have are unlimited in terms of email and the browser that is on the phone. Although we do not have direct internet access...it is the company's network that the data is coming through so it is sort of like the "internet" just in a much smaller scale....without the 5GB limit... :)

Cool, I went through T-Mobile to get mine. The data plan says "Unlimited" and is $35 on top of my phone bill. I guess I will find out what it's limitations are when it comes in the mail tomorrow. Thanks for all the info guys; I appreciate it.

Ericin / Kutless
Matt.

unlimited means you can stay connected for an unlimited amount of time..just they cap you on your data transfer. MAYBE they have changed that..but i have not seen anything to that effect..:(

I have a BB Storm, but like HCS said Internet comes with a Price, for one you can usually get a Flatrate [I do but I also live in Germany where things operate differently meaning a flatrate is not capped, I can call any net and talk all month long and the same would be for Transfers or downloads, but if you want something for your phone DL it on your Pc and transfer it over, will save $$$] but I negated the Internet because my provider gives unlimited access through thier portal, [Emails not included] Unless you absolutely need Email access then I would consider another. I like my Storm but it does take a bit to get used to as it is very different from a normal Cell phone and it is Primarily for Business needs:)

Last edited:
All I can speak for is Sprint, but there is certainly no data transfer cap when using your BlackBerry as a modem. I hook it up through the USB port on my laptop, open up Sprint's connection manager and connect. It's actually faster than the wi-fi I'm using right now!

The 5GB limit (as far as Sprint is concerned) applies to an EXTRA data plan when using one of their USB modems, not when using your smartphone as the modem. I do have an "Everything" plan that includes unlimited web usage from my phone, texting, etc.

I just got my first BlackBerry a few weeks ago and I'm in love.

i would read the fine print very closely..i have sprint and they most assuredly put a 5 gig cap on their data transfer unless you have like 20 lines of service with data or something huge like that..if they have changed it i am surprised howardforums and dslr have not reported it..and since they ahve i am very dubious about sprint being truly unlimited.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/press...uck-sprint-mobile-broadband-connection-plan-0

now looking at their simply everything plans:

And they do mention the cap very specifically on their simply everything plans and more:
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml

Off-network Roaming on Sprint Phones: Not available with single-band phones, or to customers residing outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming. International calling, including in Canada and Mexico, is not included in plans with no roaming charges. Roaming usage may be invoiced after 30-60 days. Data services and certain calling features (Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, etc.) may not be available in all roaming areas.

Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.

Thanks for the info! Sneaky, sneaky. I'm not surprised.

Looks like even though I use it a lot, and as primary online connection at home, I'm still going to be well under 5 GB.

Back