Question about WOW and myself! :)

devineministry

Hey guys, as you all know I have returned to my trusty ole GC, and mainly my rpgs. Which are great even the new Zelda is awesome, but that is besides the point.
I need some inside opinions here:) I am thinking of getting into WOW, I played it a bit a few weeks back and really enjoyed it, but I have heard so much about it being so TIME consuming and such. I was wondering if I should even bother since I am what most would consider a very casual gamer. Maybe 10-15 hrs a week max on games. So with that being said, could a casual gamer like myself enjoy such a game to its fullest? I mean I don't want to rush to max lvl or even rush to get the best gear, I just want a good environment where I can play for around an hr or so and enjoy the company of some good Christian gamers.
Anyways....opinions are welcomed!! :)

I don't play WOW because you pay monthly to play. This gives you a financial tie to want to play since you don't want to waste money.

I prefer guildwars. You pay once and can play online as much or as little as you wish.

They call it World of Warcrack because it cost so much and is addicting and consumes your life. Such a title does not come from a random hobo- it EARNED that name.

just a consideration :)

In my opinion, you'd be better off picking another game if you don't want to spend a lot of time playing it. ;)
A game like World of Warcraft(or Warcrack...) can really pull you(the player) in - so you'd probably end up playing it alot more than you would most other games.
Unless you have
A. Really good self-control.
or
B. A wife or parent to kick you off the computer. :)

In my opinion, you'd be better off picking another game if you don't want to spend a lot of time playing it. ;)
A game like World of Warcraft(or Warcrack...) can really pull you(the player) in - so you'd probably end up playing it alot more than you would most other games.
Unless you have
A. Really good self-control.
or
B. A wife or parent to kick you off the computer. :)

lucky for me, I have both A AND B. :p maybe I should play

Yeah i think I will stick with the main console games and such and a few RTS games for the PC...but the mmo's are just to time conflicting for me I suppose...

I suppose this is a little late, but I will post it anyway.

In my oppnion I would suggest getting Guild Wars if you don't want to be playing to much. The level grind is much shorter, and it's not quite as addicting as WoW. The gear in WoW and the grind in it as well are both very time consuming if you want to get anywhere, whereas in GW it's much shorter for the casual gamer and the gear is pretty much everywhere. Also the game dosn't have a monthly fee, very handy, and if you ever really want to get into the game hardcore or something there is a decent PvP system.

I love Guild Wars. For many of the aforementioned reasons.

I played WoW for a while casually, on a friend's account, and found it really didn't work well for casual play. There wasn't really anyone to team up with, since they all played hardcore. Plus, there is tons of running around; if I only play for a three hours every other week, I do NOT want to spend it running from place to place.

In GW, you can play or not as you want, and once you've been to an "outpost" (think rest stops located every so often), you can warp to them, shortening your journey.

lucky for me, I have both A AND B. :p maybe I should play
But you don't have C, I bet: lots of spare cash! I sure don't.

And for the record: yes, I play GW pretty heavily right now. BUT I played for seven months before I joined Spirit of Elijah, and I went through some periods where I didn't play for weeks. Still had fun. Even now I will drop off the radar periodically, except maybe for PvP, when I have too much RL stuff going on. Still fun.

I picked up Guild Wars when it first came out and I loved it! I always said that I'd never play a game that required a monthly subscription and I held to that.

....until a friend got me to try the free 10-day trial of World of Warcraft. After the trial ran out, I went to the store and picked up my own copy. I also play somewhat casually. I get to play more on the weekends than I do during the week, but I do end up playing an hour or two each night on average (some nights will be longer, and some nights I may not play at all).

It took me about a year to get a character to 60, but part of that was due to the fact that I found that I enjoyed exploring, and I also started several new characters before settling on one to concentrate on.

If you don't get into a good guild right away, you'll probably lose interest with Warcraft quickly. I think the same could probably be said for Guild Wars. I will say though that as much as I liked Guild Wars, I tried going back to it after having played World of Warcraft and I realized that it didn't even come close to comparing. If you want to enjoy Guild Wars, don't put a lot of time to Warcraft!

If you do decide to try out Warcraft, I or one of the others here could probably hook you up with a free 10-day trial code.

You also have a choice between many great Christian guilds that are listed through CGAlliance. The one that I belong to is called Creations of the Light and it is on the server named Stormrage. http://www.cotl.info

I will warn that World of Warcraft can become addictive, but I personally don't have a major problem with it. As with anything, it's just a matter of getting your priorities in line and exercising self-control.

I like to think of it as God first, then family, then job/school, then friends and free time.

Don't neglect spending time with God through bible study and prayer. I and I'm sure many others are guilty of not giving God the time that he deserves. Remember that we would not exist it it were not for Him. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. We deserve death and destruction, but it is by His grace that we can be saved. Give God the time that He deserves! You can also honor God by honoring your family, working hard at your job, and by being wise with who you choose as your friends and in how you spend your free time.

Make sure that you also spend time with your family, work hard at your job (or school in preparation for your future job), and choose your friends and how you spend your free time in a way that will not dishonor your family.

Sorry, just off on a tangent, but it's good stuff to think about. ;)

Last edited:
lol, i have to beg for a year to get my wife to buy me guild wars, cant imagine how hard it would be to talk her into monthly fees lol...

It took me about a year to get a character to 60, but part of that was due to the fact that I found that I enjoyed exploring, and I also started several new characters before settling on one to concentrate on.

I had the Same problem, I just couldn't start playing on one toon, by the time I hit 60 with my main I had a 40 priest and a 45 hunter >.<

...I will say though that as much as I liked Guild Wars, I tried going back to it after having played World of Warcraft and I realized that it didn't even come close to comparing. If you want to enjoy Guild Wars, don't put a lot of time to Warcraft!

Very true, after tasting the good stuff it was hard to go back, GW has lots of fun stuff in it, and it's still growing, and if I ever run out of extra money for WoW, or just need a break from it, GW is always there.

If you do decide to try out Warcraft, I or one of the others here could probably hook you up with a free 10-day trial code.

I have two right here from buying the expansion if you would like them. /wink

I will warn that World of Warcraft can become addictive, but I personally don't have a major problem with it. As with anything, it's just a matter of getting your priorities in line and exercising self-control.

This is also one of the many problems with WoW, some people just can't walk away. I myself have this problem to some extent, but not to the point that I won't walk away from my PC if a friend wants to hang out.

I like to think of it as God first, then family, then job/school, then friends and free time.

All these things are more important then WoW, or any other game for that matter.

I am done now, go back to your normal lives =P

Back