Question about kids and Wow

Pinai

Hello, my toon's name is Pinai, and we are on the Hellscream server; my husband is a hard-core raider, I play when I have time, and my husband lets the kids play in combat log. They are only 10 and 11, but my son already has a lvl 80. I was wondering if any other kids play on here? I myself am thinking of transferring to a Christian guild and switching servers just because I want a cleaner atmoshphere.

Hi Pinai, yes we have kids who play wow, we have a rank called "minor" which requires a mentor (the parent). We do not allow anyone under 16 on without a mentor. Feel free to contact one of our officers on-line.

You should be aware that we are not a Christian guild in name only, we expect our guild members not only to adhere to a "cleaner" atmosphere, but also to play the game with a mindset of the two greatest commandments. If you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, we'd love to have you join us, if not, perhaps you'd be more comfortable searching for a family friendly guild.

also so your husband know we do raid but we arent ariading guild. We have fun seen the new places. But we are also part of a bigger group called the sga in which we do raid with them. they are a non christian group mae up up a lot of small guilds. it may not always be clea, but that is where he main raiding (mainly 25 man) is done. We do 10 man uns and once in awhile 25 man naxx. But I just wante dto let you know since u said your husband is a hardcore raider.

Hi, thanks for the quick response, guys! Is the general chat cleaner on this server for kids? Also, I did notice in the Terms Agreement it said something to the effect that no one else should be using your account. Does sharing with the kids count as that? Tx again for the quick responses! And yes, we are a Christian family.

Pinai, General and Trade chats are horrible on every realm. I just leave them (/leave 1 or /leave General), and only go in Trade if I can't find someone in our SGA channel (which is rare.)

Hi Pinai,

I have 4 children who play regularly, ages 8-13. They have a blast playing with the minor members of the guild and are developing a friendship with them. The Forgiven is a very family-friendly guild and I haven't regretted moving my accounts to their server. Hope to see your family soon!

Brian

Hm...my husband just told me that I can't transfer from PVE to PVP. So, I may try to look for a Christian guild on a PVE server or we may just start new chars on that server. Tx for all the info, tho

Hm...my husband just told me that I can't transfer from PVE to PVP. So, I may try to look for a Christian guild on a PVE server or we may just start new chars on that server. Tx for all the info, tho

he's incorrect...they reversed that rule a while ago

I am wondering how Kids do with WoW. I have a 10 year old daughter who is bugging me to play but I am skeptical to let her. Don't ask me why because I don't know. Are kids finding good social interaction in WoW? Would a 10 year old even be able to understand the game? I guess I should let her try and see how she does. I read an above response to someone letting there 8 year old play...how do they do?

The game itself is easy enough for anyone with reading ability to play...in fact kids who can't read can still manage to play with some help :) (I have kids ranging in age from 2-18) My caution would be that Wow is an incredibly social arena and personally I feel that it is of utmost importance to be aware of this as a parent.

Your 10yo will be interacting with people of varying ages and varying degrees of niceness, maturity, language etc. While some of the people she may run into will be very pleasant and kind, there will be others who are rude and impatient and have foul mouths. The general and trade channels are often filled with nastiness too. As a general principle I turn the general and trade channels off for my kids and I caution them that not everyone that they encounter will be looking out for their good but rather will be interested far more in themselves.

Find a good guild that you can trust to have a "family friendly" chat channel and who are willing to have youngsters play.

Do you play Wow? Nothing can replace you as the eyes and ears on what's happening with regards to your daughter. You alone can see how she is interacting with others and how it is affecting her..some kids aren't bothered at all if someone grabs that mob they were aiming for to complete their quest, others can be upset by it for quite a while...some kids get frustrated when no one is jumping to their rescue when a quest is particularly hard others will realize they can just put it aside until they level up etc. The enjoyment your daughter will get is directly related to who she is :)

Hope that I've helped you out with your question.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am a member of TF so hopefully she can get in there if she starts to play. I like the idea of turning off trade and general channels because they are pretty brutal usually.

Sry..didn't realize that you were a member (that's the problem with all these aliases..names on forums, names in games etc.)
Yes, as a member your daughter would have an automatic in..her character would get minor status and you would be considered her mentor..meaning if there were any issues that needed to be dealt with you would be the first contact point. She would be able to see items in the guild bank but wouldn't have access to them without requesting them from an officer or you (if you have the rank).

The children in your guild have to have a parent online at the same time with them? I think this is wonderful, if I am understanding correctly. I have been in guilds where the child would get on when parent was not online and beg for help, gold etc and no one wanted the burden of telling the parent about their child. That is why I have only joined adult guilds but this might work!

No "might" here, it does work. We have a mentorship program for under 16, which requires a veteran status to be a sponsor. We do not accept unparented children in the guild. It is not our responsibility or mission to "parent" someone's kids. All underaged kids have a status "minor" which allows anyone at a quick glance to see who they are dealing with and the mentor's name in the comments. This system has worked extremely well and has allowed us to keep a strong sense of balance in place.

To answer one of your questions, Pinai, it has been posted by Blizzard on their forums that they are ok with underage children operating on a parent's account since they are unable to meet the TOC anyway to have an account of their own.

Actually, according to Blizz ToS, you can only have 1 minor on your account, if a 2nd child plays it is a ban-able offense.

You may not share your Account or password with anyone, except that if you are a parent or guardian, you may permit one (1) minor child to use the Account instead of you (in which case you may not use that Account at the same time). (Section 1A of the ToU)

Last edited:
Back