Question about Game Design as a Career

Bleekr

Not sure if this was the best place to post this so please feel free to move it to the correct forum.

I've been thinking about taking Game Design up as a potential career. That or something involved in the Game industry (writing, art, etc.) That being said, christian focused games are not whats big, and probably don't sell well so if I did get a job in this line of work it would probably be more torwards your average or secular games.

What if say I'm hired to work on a certain team, say.. Bioware, just as an example. And they want me to work on a new game with questionable content like say GTA, or something else. What would I do? Wouldn't it be against Gods will and my "works be evil"?

I guess you could even look at this outside of just this job, what if you are in the military and are commanded to do something you don't agree with or goes against what the bible says?

Just some thoughts that I'm looking for fellow Christians opinions on! Thanks!

I think it's your heart motives that matter. If your just looking to get some good money, or fame, and not care what kinda games your making, then yes, your not working with God.

If you want to ultimately be making good solid Christian based games (at some future point) and are allowing God to show you His path thru the secular game world, while still being a solid Christian, He will use you for His will along the path to your ultimate heart job in Christian gaming.

What comes out of your mouth is what's in your heart. If you have to draw 3/4+ naked women characters for a secular game, how hard will it be to resist temptation yourself when your drawing chars for others temption?

Only a direction from God and the proper heart attitude will work :) Seriously seek God and wait upon Him to give you the guidance needed. His ways are prosperous and fulfilling.

Well I'm not sure if it would ever truly lead to Christian Video Games, because lets be honest that's not really the target audience. However I do like things such as maybe Chronicles of Narnia where they tell a story that is metaphorically based on the Bible. Even with that though, I imagine I'd more be doing whatever the group or team I'm assigned to is doing.. which you brought up a good point. Sure I may be able to resist this nearly naked women I've created, but what about others? Would I be causing others to fall?

Mat 18:6 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

James 4:17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Acts 5:29 But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: “We ought to obey God rather than men.

My brother-in-law is a solid Christian and graduated from Full Sail in Florida with a degree in Game Programming. Only him and one other was hired right after graduation. He was hired by Volition, a subsidiary of THQ. He helped make Red Faction: Guerrilla and is now on the Saints Row team, which I disagree with.

Ultimately, it is between you and the Lord. Whatever you do, do not sin or cause others to sin, and always stand up for your convictions in Christ Jesus. If you need to know "How to know God's will for my life", I can post that for you as well.

Blessings

Well I'm not sure if it would ever truly lead to Christian Video Games, because lets be honest that's not really the target audience.

Why isn't it? I mean seriously, if more people put there time into developing some really good "Christian" Video games, it might become a target audience. It's just a little more difficult to do in the beginning. It's like making "Christian" films, they started out kind of cheezy because the financial backing wasn't there, but they are getting better every time and becoming more and more popular.

My son would like to get into game development and has a very good concept for some "Christian" games that I think would do very well.

Think about just how many good games could come out of many of the OT stories. It's not like there isn't any violence in the Bible. There are plenty of battles and wars, blood and gore to appeal to the non-Christian gamer. It just needs to be developed into a good solid game environment.

I guess my advice in regards to being in this field is more that you research the agenda for the company you would consider working for. If they have an agenda that is against God's then you shouldn't work for them. Some companies are just out to make games, no real agenda behind them. They are just meeting the next gamer fix.

In reality many of us are forced to work in environments that do not have Christian values. We are forced to make choices each day. Not sure why this vocation would be that much different. It may come to a point that you would need to take a stand about completing a certain aspect of a game, or being on a certain game's team, regardless of the consequences. That will be a time to rely on God.

I've had a Christian story in the back of my mind for the longest time. I just can't ever get the details straight enough to write anything down. Furthermore, I think the reason there really hasn't been a Christian gaming market is because a lot of people for some reason are afraid of making Christian games. I personally think an amazing RPG could be made from nearly ANY story in the Bible.

One idea I had was when Lucifer was banished from Heaven. You could take the role of an angel, who fights Lucifer's army's, and in the end, he calls God out. God comes out and sends him via a massive fireball into the abyss creating hell in the process. I think some idea like that would make a few gamers who aren't Christian start believing "Dude...God pwns :O".

Back