Pyromania (Fire Mage Guide)

Do you have a Fire PVP spec? I found one on wowwikki and it works great. I'm able to nuke someone before they even get close to me. Using blink when needed, and all my instant fire spells. Including 5-8k crits at lvl 73 with pyroblast is kinda fun.

I have an Ice pvp spec also. I get my spec from Poorguy. If you youtube him, he's a GREAT pvper in frost and owns with it.

Holy crap, dude! When did this thread get so popular?

As for Fire PvP, it's total hax for BGs, totally useless in arena. Well, not "useless"...but very under-represented and horrifically fragile. You'd have to have an extremely well organized team with great CC coordination to make it viable.

The Cataclysm fire talents are looking MAD good for PvP right now though!

Also, Poorguy's super legit. An old mage buddy of mine. :)

Yah i looked him up on wowmovies.com and youtube, and he can take like 3 or 4 guys on at once and kill em all.

I wanna be like that though. He's really good at what he does. >.<

Yah i looked him up on wowmovies.com and youtube, and he can take like 3 or 4 guys on at once and kill em all.

I wanna be like that though. He's really good at what he does. >.<

Are you talking the Poorguy of Stonemaul? Just so I'm clear, ya know...

If you are, yeah, he's pretty legit. There's a reason he's been the best mage in the best guild on the server for years lol

Best part is, he's really cool. Helpful, humble, and plays for the right reasons.

best in slot lists are terrible imo

Agreed. Best in slot lists are generally a bad idea. Just focus on what comes your way and do what's best for you at that moment, in my opinion, because you can never guarantee something else will ever drop for you. Heh, you can't even guarantee you'll ever get to play again. =\

If a best in slot is not a good idea, give me an idea plainly about what to look for in drops or confirm mine as I gather from this thread:
Hit(till capped)>Haste(till 800)>Stam>Crit...Spirit

Also, you said Torment the Weak was broke? What do ya mean? I dunno where, but I read that it was something great to have.

If a best in slot is not a good idea, give me an idea plainly about what to look for in drops or confirm mine as I gather from this thread:
Hit(till capped)>Haste(till 800)>Stam>Crit...Spirit

Also, you said Torment the Weak was broke? What do ya mean? I dunno where, but I read that it was something great to have.

er.
Hit Rating: You need to get capped. Until you are hit capped, all other stats should be an afterthought. You need 17% total to get to cap. Fire has no hit talents, so bummer there. If you are alliance, your raid will most likely have a Draenei of some sort standing around picking his nose and riding a Sea Turtle, so we can relatively safely make this number 16%. Moonkin and Shadow Priests can apply a debuff to enemies that increase chance to be hit by 3%. If you are absolutely, 100% sure that you will ALWAYS have one of these two around, you could go down to 13%, but I would strongly, I repeat, STRONGLY aim for a more self-sufficient 16%. Once you hit 16%, you can start focusing on your other stats.
Spellpower: is, was, and always will be priority number one. The bigger this number is, the better. Of course, you wouldn't sacrifice, say, 20 haste to pick up 3 spellpower, but the statement remains true that SP should always be your top priority. There is no cap on Spellpower. You can never have too much.
Haste: This is your second most beneficial dps stat as a Fire Mage up to a certain point. That point is ~800 haste. At 800 Haste, your GCD will be lowered to exactly 1 second, and you will be able to cast exactly 2 fireballs and 1 Instant Cast during your Pushing the Limit buff given by Hot Streak. Haste should always be taken over crit until then. I will go into this in more detail in the "Gems" section.
Crit Rating: Crit is not a big priority Fire until you get close to that 800 Haste mark. You get a ridiculous amount of crit chance from talents, Molten Armour, and T10 gear. These will cushion you until you hit 800 Haste.
Stamina: is more important (in my opinion) than Spirit in ICC content. Spirit gives you a tiny bit of regen (depending on talents, of course) and a tiny bit of Crit chance. Stamina makes you less likely to die. Not dying is better than spirit.
Spirit: This is a joker stat for mages. It contributes relatively nothing. All the spirit you will need will come on your gear whether you like it or not. Never go out of your way for more spirit.
Intellect: is officially "psh, whatever" for Fire. Yup, it's not really very important. You'll get more than you need from gear without searching for it.
Strength, Agility, Armor Penetration, Expertise: are not mage stats and should not be on your gear.

Quoted from this thread. If you're rolling on a cloth piece or other accessories with MP5 or whatnot it's likely not going to maximize your character as MP5 isn't really doing anything for your dps.

Also, when he said Torment the Weak is broke he meant that it's the most busted thing ever, as in amazingly good, as in you should spec into it 99.999999999999999999999% of the time. (Just saying, it's pretty good ya know >_>.........Just saying.)

Also, Sea Turtles.

Last edited:
One of the keys of learning is to review over and over again. One of the keys of communication is to tell 'em, tell 'em again and tell 'em again. For me, it is essential. Now it is worse than ever.

So if I ask again, please be patient with me. And tell me again, and again, and again... hehe!

To be honest, right now my fire mage is not that great of a dpser - and jumps allover the chart. If someone would check Sambeaudy out and tell me what could be changed or replaced. I would greatly appreciate it. Oh - the rotation I use is much the same I have seen, but if it looks like a short fight (<15 sec), I skip the bomb part.

To be honest, right now my fire mage is not that great of a dpser - and jumps allover the chart. If someone would check Sambeaudy out and tell me what could be changed or replaced. I would greatly appreciate it. Oh - the rotation I use is much the same I have seen, but if it looks like a short fight (<15 sec), I skip the bomb part.

I'm so far behind that what I'm about to say is officially 100% irrelevant after the patch, but I'll say it anyway. What you were experiencing here is the reality of being a Fire mage in the 3.3 days without having a high enough iLvl gear. Fire relied on procs based around your crit chance. What you were experiencing was that, sometimes, you'd get a really lucky streak of procs and, on other fights, you'd come up empty. This was fixed when your gear got better.:)

Also, I will NOT be rewriting this thread for Cataclysm. No, I will simply be writing an entirely new one =P. Don't expect miracles, though. After I hit 85, give me some time to gather resources and get some experience first. Then...I'll do my best to make a guide that's way better than this one

Back