Purple Items and Expert Salvage Kit

Shagz

Will the Expert Salvage Kit *always* pull runes and wrappings out of purple and other items? Or is there some kind of "chance to fail" thing?

I finally saved up enough for an expert kit tonight and it worked on some of my purple (and some blue) items that I knew already had upgrades, on others it just turned them into crafting materials (and in one case, a rare crafting material). I thought you always got the runes out. :confused:

Last edited:
also when u use the kit on stuff from chests, and most of them DO NOT have runes. the only time they have a rune is if it says like: stalker armour of minor vigor.

There's a chance, but it's very rare that you won't get the rune from enemy armors.

However, it's a bit more of a chance when you're attempting to pull a mod off a weapon. You have an equal chance of getting the mod, a rare crafting material, or common crafting materials. If there are two mods, then each mod, rare and common each have a 25% chance.

So, if you get that magical +30 fortitude drop on a non-max damage sword, you have a 1/3 chance to salvage it. If another mod is attached to that sword too, you have a 1/4 chance. Does that explanation make sense?

Atown said:
also when u use the kit on stuff from chests, and most of them DO NOT have runes. the only time they have a rune is if it says like: stalker armour of minor vigor.

Right, so only if the weapon or armor has the "[prefix] thing of [strength] [suffix]", then you'll get something from it...or at least have a *chance* at getting something from it. Otherwise, even if it's purple, you won't get anything.

How come you can get runes/parts from Purple AND Blue items? Purple means it has a rune while Blue means it might have a special component (bow string, staff wrappings, etc.)?

@Wildbill...ok, got it! Sounds like getting any kind of power up off of any weapon is always going to be a gamble. :/

There are a couple colors, and honestly they mean piddly if you ask me. There are blue, purple, and yellow. In any given zone the blue is at the lower end of weapons, while yellow is on the high end ... or so people will tell you. I have found some pretty worthless yellows, and some real keepers that are blue - or even no color at all!! But yes, you have to look at the name of the item to tell if it has a salvagable mod.

As far as the salvagable armors go (looted ones that is), blue is minor runes, purple is minor or major runes, yellow is major or superior runes. Since they made the adjustment long ago I have not failed to get a rune from a colored armor drop. Salvaging my own armor that I put a rune on is another story...

If the item has nothing but an upgrade, it'll be a blue. It'll be a purple or a gold if its other 'characteristics' are closer (purple) or very close (gold) to max, like +15% dmg when health is above 50% would be on a gold weapon/shield.

Dropped monster armors work a bit differently. Purple and Gold armors are the ones with higher level runes, like majors and superiors, though I've had purple minors. A Superior Vigor only comes from gold (at least that I know of).

Back