PS3 vs Wii

Strong Fortress

I was really big and excited about the PS3 for some time now, but now I am starting to wonder if I want to spend $500-$600 dollars for a game console. A few of my friends have been telling me about the Nintendo Wii. It sounds like it will be a lot cheaper and have some pretty innovative controls. I was wondering what you guys think of one or the other and which one(s) you might buy and why.

the ps3 has a much better archetecture in my opinion, plus it has a full featured linux install from the factory :p.

What about the controls for a 3-D enviroment? I think this is quite a step in gaming technology. I just think it would be cool to actually swing my arm to have it actually swing the sword.:cool:

I'll be getting them both at one point or another. I already have a 360 and I'll probably get the Wii next.

Hardware doesn't mean squat.

Unless you're an ubergeek or vk, all the nuances really don't amount to a hill of beans.

What matters is software, the library of games that are put out to support the system.

There's a reason why the PS2 is still going strong. Through the Xbox, through the Gamecube, through the 360.

I'm leary about the wii because Nintendo failed to support the gamecube. If you're trying to weigh both systems evenly, I think you'd have to go with the PS3 based on their track record.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy because of the price difference.

I look forward to the ps3 because as a developer, I can develop my own games for it, already ageia is releasing the PhyX SDK (which is the same physics de-facto in ps3 and 360 games) on the linux platform this month. I wouldnt mind having a 600 dollar console that can double as a development platform. As the frameworks are easily ported between the various architectures, and I can design and make programs that run on all architectures (windows, osx, linux, ps3) easily.

Atleast sony is encouraging third parties to develop software for their console.

I can't find the link right now (plus it's 11:30 here, bed time), but I also remember the developer kits for the Wii being significantly less than the PS3's dev kits... even lower than the PS1's dev kits.

I also seem to recall many developers (not first/second-party devs, mind you) actually saying that they enjoyed writing games for the Wii, how it opened up so many new doors in terms of gameplay, etc. etc. The PlayStation 3, besides adding Blu-Ray support (which isn't in the game industry to begin with...), it's not progressing the gaming industry. It's just bringing more of the same thing we've been [relatively] bored with for years. Can we really go through each generation thinking we can just add a few evolutionary features at a time, as opposed to the comparatively revolutionary ideas Nintendo is bringing to the table?

Who came up with that "Home" button and tilt-sensing functionality for the "new" PS3 controller, anyway? :rolleyes:

At least Microsoft did something right by making Xbox Live as successful as it did for the Xbox and Xbox 360. That is what you call industry growth.

(Sorry if this post didn't make sense. It's late, I'm tired, and I'm going to bed.)

yes but for the first time anyone can write code for the console, which is a significant leap in my opinion.

Either way consoles will never take the joy out of owning a computer, where you actually have a choice. oh and btw I look forward to my ps3 web server :p

I also seem to recall many developers (not first/second-party devs, mind you) actually saying that they enjoyed writing games for the Wii, how it opened up so many new doors in terms of gameplay, etc. etc. The PlayStation 3, besides adding Blu-Ray support (which isn't in the game industry to begin with...), it's not progressing the gaming industry. It's just bringing more of the same thing we've been [relatively] bored with for years. Can we really go through each generation thinking we can just add a few evolutionary features at a time, as opposed to the comparatively revolutionary ideas Nintendo is bringing to the table?

I have to agree about the same old stuff. I am looking for something completely new and innovative. I got into Dance Dance Revolution for a while because it was so new and innovative for a console game. (I'd play it more, but my controllers are bad. :( )
Nintendo is doing something completely new. The set up of the controls (one being set up similar to a remote control) should allow people who never played console games before to be able to do so much easier. This may attract a larger audience. :D

Back