Proving someone is a christian

Proving someone is a christian - How do you know?

• A) Ask few biblical questions.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • B) God/Jesus told you.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C) You believe that person is.

• D) You don't know.

• Total voters

Corpfox

This came over my sleep for a while, heh.

I know as having christian friends for a long time, you know that person is a christian, however, IF, someone you don't really know ( or someone you've know hasn't decided yet
rock.gif
) said, "I was just saved", how would you know if it was true or that person is a christian, how!?

You can never really know, I don't think. I mean you can know someone is not by the way they act.. If you don't know them, they may act more 'naturally', so that could tell you. But if you've been friends for a long time, you always act that way (or similiar) around them.

Its just between God and them, me thinks.

Don't wonder. Consult the Guide:

"By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:35 (NKJV)

There it is. It really is that simple. People can preach up a storm. They can say all the right things. They can do all the "holy" actions. They can, in all things, look like a model Christian, but without love it's useless. Don't believe that? Paul talks about it quite a bit:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing." 1 Cor 13:1-3 (NKJV)

So when your neighborhood preacher stands up and tells you that homosexuals are evil and that they should be spurned; when your upright neighbor preaches the Bible and uses it to tell you that someone somewhere, for whatever reason, should be cast down; when Bill Enyart invades your airwaves and brags about his homophobia - they have not love and they are nothing. They are modern-day Pharisees whose self-righteousness and pride are their gods. Not because their words are incorrect. They quote Scripture better than most and the Word of God is infallible. But to use the Word to preach a message of hate and intolerance is a blasphemy against the message that Jesus taught. Jesus always always loved first and judged second.

You want to know who the Christians are? Talk to them about difficult, emotional, politically incorrect issues and listen to their answers. Watch their faces. Read their body language. Do they forgive even the obvious sinners as Jesus did to the adultress about to be stoned and the people who impaled him on that cross? Or do they speak of judgement, justice, intolerance, revulsion?

You want to know who the Christians are? Find the ones who act like Christ. That is the very heart of being a Christian. The rest is fraud.

Love? The identifying feature.
I can say I'm a Christian all I please.
But you must watch my actions. Do I act Christ-like?
Then ask me some tough questions: "What does being a Christian mean to you?"
"How do you know you're a Christian?"
"How did you become a Christian?"
"Who is God to you? What are your beliefs on the One called Jesus?"
Tricksy, sometimes is the best way to go.

I usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Unless they prove to me otherwise...if they say they're Christian, they are Christian.

There is no absolute way of knowing as you can not discern the heart of another person. There are two kinds of Christianity as I see. Christianity the religion and Christianity the relationship. Lots of people can be religous, go to Church, say the right things and go through all the motions. But not everyone has a relationship with Jesus. And I mean a personal relationship where He is the focal point. For those that have the relationship, it can be life changing. Some obvious things that have been mentioned that you will see are the fruits the person bears. The person will display Christ like qualities like love and forgiveness.

You mention that your friend says "I was just saved" but maybe their actions don't show it. Remember, we are still human and can stumble. I can think of no greater example than Peter who one moment is willing to chop an ear of a messanger to defend Christ than the next moment he is denying ever knowing him. So the best advice I can give you is worrying about if the person is or is not a Christian is going to get you nowhere. The best thing you can do is pray for them. Trust that seeds have been planted in their lives and help water them whenever you can. Finally, be there for them when they falter.

"Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins." James 5:19-20 (NKJV)

In a particular evangelism program, they ask two questions.

"Have you come to the place in your spiritual life where you know for *certain* that if you died tonight, you would go to heaven, or is that something you would say you're still working on?"

"Suppose you were to die tonight and stand before God, and He asked you, "Why should I let you into my heaven?" What would you say?

While by no means perfect, it can be a quick way to find out if a stranger or aquaintance is trusting in Christ for salvation, or something else entirely.

I also agree with the earlier post on love, and the fruit a person bears. As Paul often makes clear in his epistles, Grace saves us, but we show it in our lives. On another note, I was thinking about that and wondering what God would think of Mormons and such, who certainly *seem* to bear good fruit...
...but then I realized, they bear no true fruit at all. Their good deeds are aimed at something other than God - themselves.

Ok, my brain's shutting down, goodnight L)

Aaron

My mother told me about a nice little pair of questions regarding this. Looking at the above post, I guess they just simplify the ones already presented

Ask 1) Do you believe you are going to heaven?

If they answer "yes" then:

Ask 2) Why?

If they answer "because I have been saved by Jesus" or something along the same lines, they are a Christian. If they answer "well because I think I'm a pretty good person" get them saved!!
biggrin.gif

Ix

What does it mean to be saved by Jesus? "Oh, well, uh, I pray to the cross every day, and uh...worship Allah. That's believing in Jesus, right?"
Watch out for what they say...Four Killer Questions For a Wizard (Worldview Academy).

Just know where their faith is...if it's based on God or man. If it's that whole: "I'm a pretty good person, so I'm going to heaven."
I like this analogy for them. Draw a line. Number it like you would any number line: 10, 20, 30, 40...100. Then tell them to mark where they think they are on their good meter with God, because most people who think they're going to heaven because they're "pretty good" also think that they're bad at some point in time, so they're imperfect. But say, they believe in God, but God wouldn't mind if they go to heaven because they're pretty good people. When they've marked their goodness level, tell them this: "Suppose God wouldn't let you in heaven unless you were X good? You're 70. Suppose it was 71 to be good? Well, off to hell with you. Sorry." That usually opens them up to the idea of a perfect person who died to cover all their attempts at goodness for getting into heaven...

I think.

I don't believe "goodness" or "badness" can be quantified...but, it is an interesting analogy.

There's also the gift of discernment....

If you're into spiritual gifts and all.

Ah, yes, the famed gift of discernment: "You, sir, are a sinner to the core, and not even Christ can save you" kind of discernment? Or, "I'm better than you" discernment? Or just plain out common sense: "Dude, you need help."

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
If someone you don't really know (or someone you've know hasn't decided yet) said, "I was just saved", how would you know if it was true or that person is a christian, how!?

Many times our own perceptions/misconceptions/misinterpretations get in the way of our judgement, whether due to the flavor of denomination, the way we were raised, the kind of teaching/morals we grew up with etc. So stick to the basics. Just ask the question that matters most:

1) Do they specifically profess Christ as their Saviour and the Lord of their life? If yes, then
2) Ask them about their conversion experience! A Christian is never offended by this question and is always willing to share of how Jesus has saved them. After all, it's a Christian mandate:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
1Peter 3:15  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear

You pretty much have to take them for face value.  If true conversion has taken place, and if you do spend more time with that person, you will start to notice evidence in their life as well, such as certain character qualities of God. But don't let this trip you up. That can take quite some time! Just because someone accepts Christ does not mean they magically change overnight and lose all their bad habits, foul language, poor behaviour etc. With some perhaps, but it is certainly not the norm...sure wasn't with me, that's for sure!
laugh.gif
Nor does it mean they now have mastery of every character quality either.  

What it DOES mean is that there will be the desire to put away sinful things because there has been an awakening of the spirit because it is alive to God now. There is sentience of our own spiritual state that was not there before. It all boils down to having a real relationship with Jesus. A Christian desires to be LIKE Christ and therefore wants to move in that direction, thus, Christian growth.

Another tidbit from the Pilgrim's Handbook:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
1Pe 3:8  Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
1Pe 3:9  Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
1Pe 3:10  For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
1Pe 3:11  Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
1Pe 3:12  For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

and one more:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Rom 8:16  The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Rom 8:17  And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

My $.02  
smile.gif

umm i have a friend who was born in africa, and has lived there for 12 1/2 years, and now has moved back (met him at my church) and i thought he was a christian cuz his parents were missionarys, but apparently, he has some internet trouble (if u know wat i mean)
sad.gif
sad.gif
and so on so forth, more and more i doubt his christianity, but he says he is goin to golden gates, but i just aint seein it cuz apparently he got in trouble with the internet just 2 weeks before, and when i beat him at games he swears under his breathe, he doesnt know it but i can hear him, cuz i great ears, so more n more im doubtin it but anyone have any advice for me?? srry for postin in wrong spot i got carried away, but it seemed appropiate.

pray for him, that the Lord convicts him of hi sin. I know many people that have accepted Jesus but are still growing. Just because someone makes that commitment doens't mean they are 100% changed, it's an ongoing process.

I think that we are all growing....

Some are being tested in their faith, and flounder a little, others have been cruising for a while but maybe not growing (adding to their faith)

A christian is a follower of Christ....

can you take a break, have a rest......

I think that you can take what people say about themselves, but the fruit is what you judge.

If someone says they are a christian then we use the Word of God to sharpen each other up, and get up to speed in the good race.

If they don't accept the word..........

if they don't allow the Spirit of God to work in thier lives...

theyre in trouble

sealcomm

Back