Prot Pally want to start raiding

ShadowShoot

Hi all,

I am working towards lvl 70 on my prot pally ShadowCobra WoW Armory.
My intended build pre-expansion Build
My intended build post-expansion Build 2

What I want to do with this character is to be main-tank for raiding. I don't have much experience raiding yet and so any helpful comments would be appreciated. If you know of good ways to easily get lvl 70 gear that would be at the level i need to be at to start raiding i'm interested to hear about that too. I'm working off of this currently Tankadin 101 Guild to Gearing for Kara

Just some comments on your talents (pre-ex):

1. Precision is good. For raid tanking, +hit is good if you're a warrior or pally. By "good" I mean "increasingly necessary." Resisted Judgements and missed Righteous Defenses are pretty bad.

2. Stoicism --- stun resistance is also very good.

3. One-handed Weapon spec. The 2% increase to all your damage will make up for having -33% ret aura damage.

And finally.. 4. Really consider Reckoning. It's great as long as you're not fighting boss #4 in SSC.

If you need me to (I'm being very brief here), I'll explain each of these in greater detail.

1. Get precision but do not stack hit over spell damage. Majority of threat is through Consecration followed by Holy Shield which melee hit does not benefit but spell damage does.

2. PVP talent, skip it if you are serious about tanking. Few bosses stun.

3. Agreed

4. Reckoning loses its impact the closer you get to Uncritable and Uncrushable. Talent out of it by time you are done gearing in Kara.

Just a quick glance at your post expansion build talents. You should not pass up Improved Devotion Aura if you are planning on being a raid tankadin. The Healing bonus will be expected for the Prot Pally to bring to the raid as Holy/Ret Pallies will probably not be investing points there. I'd pass on the points in Vindication (still not expected to effect bosses in the expansion to my knowledge) and a point from Pursuit of Justice.

Depending on where you are in terms of gear Divine Strength may be hard to pass up for the 5% parry depending on itemization and how much Strength factors in. I think it will depend on threat/block value vs. avoidance and what you feel you need more of at 80.

Lots of tough calls for the Tankadin in terms of talents...still seems like there are too many "must haves" in the Protection Tree that prevents you from getting some of the great "low hanging fruit" in the other trees.

Back