Processor running a bit too hot

Skibabinz

So I've come to notice my CPU running hot recently. I'm not sure if I need to replace my thermal paste, but I've cleaned my fans, ensured its very well ventilated, the room temperature is well...cold (likely 40 F), and I just don't know what else it could be. I'm running a AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition, not overclocked. I'm still using the stock cooling unit that came with the processor, which is a heatsink and fan. Until recently, I haven't ventured above 40c, however I notice now I'm at 44c when I boot up, after I open steam it goes to 52c, and if I play one of my RTS, it goes about 67-71c.

So yea...halp!

You might just need to reapply the glue. Getting a good fan wouldn't be a bad idea either, but reapply the glue first.

the biggest mistake folks make is too much. That's as bad as too little. When you remove use alcohol to remove all traces form both the cpu and heatsink. Use a good thermal compound like arctic silver. only put enough on the entire heat spreader of the cpu for a light haze..but not so little you can see through it. Then put a light haze on the heatsink. re-install. Make sure ALL fan are working properly..not just the cpu..but psu, gpu, northbridge..etc etc etc. GPU fan issues can also cause heat issues as they typically run much hotter than cpu's AND many of them exhaust into the case either partially or fully. If you don't have a case fan get one that blow outward not inward.

the stock heatsinks work fine unless you either run a cramped. hot interior or are overclocking. More expensive heatsinks can help but the price/performance ratio isn't in your favor unless you are overclocking.

Back