Priests... what will you do with your talents?

3-dEMON

I was just going over the talent calculator for the 1.10 priest update.

So far it looks like I will be shifting away from Shadow and going back to Holy. Shadow was great for farming and PVP, but now that I have started playing PVP with my rogue I no longer feel the need to melt faces anymore. Instead I would like to make my priest a studly healer again.

Discipline Talents - 15 point(s)
Unbreakable Will rank 5/5
Wand Specialization rank 0/5
Silent Resolve rank 5/5
Improved Power Word: Fortitude rank 2/2
Improved Power Word: Shield rank 3/3
Martyrdom rank 0/2
Inner Focus rank 0/1
Meditation rank 0/3
Improved Inner Fire rank 0/3
Mental Agility rank 0/5
Improved Mana Burn rank 0/2
Mental Strength rank 0/5
Divine Spirit rank 0/1
Force of Will rank 0/5
Power Infusion rank 0/1
Holy Talents - 36 point(s)
Healing Focus rank 2/2
Improved Renew rank 3/3
Holy Specialization rank 5/5
Spell Warding rank 0/5
Divine Fury rank 5/5
Holy Nova rank 1/1
Blessed Recovery rank 0/3
Inspiration rank 3/3
Holy Reach rank 0/2
Improved Healing rank 3/3
Searing Light rank 0/2
Improved Prayer of Healing rank 2/2
Spirit of Redemption rank 1/1
Spiritual Guidance rank 5/5
Spiritual Healing rank 5/5
Lightwell rank 1/1
Shadow Talents - 0 point(s)

For Disc, I can't decide on whether I'll need Wand Specialization or Unbreakable Will more. I am currently leaning toward UW. Anyone have an opinion on that?

For Holy, I have all tier 1 talents filled out. I'm passing on Searing Light because I could care less about my damage holy spells. Holy Nova... oh yeah! I can't wait to spam it. Filled out Inspiration to complement the points in Holy Specialization, critical heal = mo armr 4 j00! The spell I am most interested in exploring is the Healing Well.

What will all you other priests be doing for your build?

Last edited:
Spirit Tap

Does Spirit Tap work after level 60? I might be interested in that as well, it's a sweet talent for tier 1 Shadow. Since you no longer gain experience at 60 I am wondering if it even works. To gain it I think I would sacrifice Silent Resolve.

Last edited:
I'll post mine in a minute but I wanted to answer your question. Spirit tap only produces if you yourself get the killing blow. It's great for soloing, however if you are in a group healing, it is pointless.

I have never had a high level priest, but I have to admit I read the forums too much (no I did not sleep at a holiday express last night either). :)

Seems to me that for the most part you are trading off shadow form for Divine Spirit. If you've thrown all those talents into shadow, it seems kind of a shame to drop an extra 15% dmg and melee dmg mitigation (in addition increased benefit to vampiric embrace to yourself and the party). Not sure that the bonus to spirit will help as much.

What's your idea behind the trade off?

BTW I am going to level up a priest alt off and on as a break while I work on levelling up my warrior. And I am debating between:

Shadow: http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?dVMGoZbZVMGtctRt
Holy/Disc: http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?bVgus00oZbxthcbVL

Going holy for levelling up no longer seems like it will be a struggle, so I am torn between the two.

faust said:
I have never had a high level priest, but I have to admit I read the forums too much (no I did not sleep at a holiday express last night either). :)

Seems to me that for the most part you are trading off shadow form for Divine Spirit. If you've thrown all those talents into shadow, it seems kind of a shame to drop an extra 15% dmg and melee dmg mitigation (in addition increased benefit to vampiric embrace to yourself and the party). Not sure that the bonus to spirit will help as much.

What's your idea behind the trade off?

BTW I am going to level up a priest alt off and on as a break while I work on levelling up my warrior. And I am debating between:

Shadow: http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?dVMGoZbZVMGtctRt
Holy/Disc: http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?bVgus00oZbxthcbVL

Going holy for levelling up no longer seems like it will be a struggle, so I am torn between the two.

My idea behind the trade off is this. And btw, yes you are correct, that is exactly what I'm doing. I solo in the WPL more than I do anything else in the game. If I'm online with Reason and I'm not in a group, I'm in the WPL farming. In turn, I need a build that will compensate for what I do most right now. This also allows me to do one other thing that isn't obvious at first sight. When we are in a group (speaking in terms of right now, pre-patch), I'm in Shadowform. I can't heal in shadowform. This build will allow me to maximize my damage and still be out of shadowform so I can heal when needed. I do know that mana isn't wasted to come out of shadowform to heal, however time is wasted. This build will maximize damage as well as keep me in a form to heal when needed. :)

I respeced this morning btw for fun to see what Spirit Tap was like while in the WPL. All I have to say is Spirit Tap, plus Divine Spirit, while soloing = almost zero downtime after the patch. I will miss Shadowform, but this is going to be my respec. That is unless someone can show me a damage/holy build that I might be interested in. After all, the patch allows a "free" respec. :)

Edit: btw, in your holy build, if you are going to go that deep into the holy spec, you WILL want Spirit of Redemption. That is definitely going to make a difference between a wipe and not, in a group.

Reason said:
Edit: btw, in your holy build, if you are going to go that deep into the holy spec, you WILL want Spirit of Redemption. That is definitely going to make a difference between a wipe and not, in a group.

Good point. Spirit of Redemption is really good. 10s of free healing. Yeah I will take another point out of Spiritual Healing (or something else) for that.

Back