Preliminary Cata Tank Spec

Yeah, they even said that the Paladin spec was nowhere close to done yet. If it stays as-is, I'd make these changes:

Assuming Divinity will be as bad as it is now, I'd move the points out of Divinity and Eye for an Eye and put them into Vindication and Improved Devotion Aura.

If we continue to use 969, I'd also take a point out of Improved Judgment and Divine Sacrifice and get 2/2 Judgments of the Just.

Reasons:
to not like Divine Sacrifice: The only reason to spec into Divine Sacrifice right now is to get the raid buff from Divine Guardian, and immediately cancel the Divine Sacrifice buff. This allows the raid to take 20% reduced damage, while you aren't taking any additional damage. Useful for aoe damage in fights like Festergut, or even the Decimates on Precious or Stinky. It appears they have taken the damage reduction benefit out of Divine Guardian, leaving no reason to spec into Divine Sacrifice to get it.

to not like Divinity: Most of the time, you are going to be overhealed. Adding 5% to an overheal is not going to have any effect whatsoever. If you're in a situation where that extra 5% makes the difference between wiping and not wiping, your raid has bigger problems :p

to not like Eye for and Eye: I'm not sure if "damaging attacks" means all attacks or just attacks that actually hit you. Even assuming it's every attack, it's still better to take the mitigation talents below before threat producing talents. If it's only attack that hurt you, it's even worse.

to not take 2/2 in Improved Judgment: This is probably still up for debate. With our current 969 rotation, 2 points in Imp. Judgment actually makes the cooldown too short, and is a waste of a point. An 8 second cooldown is too short when you're hitting the spell every 9 seconds. This will likely change in Cataclysm though.

to like Vindication: Reduction of physical damage from the boss. Even on magic-heavy fights, you are still taking melee damage from the boss. Reducing that is our first priority.

to like Improved Devotion Aura: Extra armor is GREAT. See above.

to like Judgments of the Just: With 2/2 here, you are taking hits 20% slower. Fantastic talent.

EDIT: Looks like we may need to spec into Divine Guardian for the reduced Divine Plea cooldown (if it isn't refreshed on melee hit). If that's the case this would be my preliminary Cata build:

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#sZIMhuRGrkId0h

Last edited:
While everythign they said is true...

you GOTTA have Judgements of the Just, else you lower the dmg output of every mage you group with by a whopping 12%.

That is, of course, if ToW stays in Arcane and up towards the top. Besides, it significantly decreases your dmg intake.

Back